Client's kids!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Snmlondonhair

Reaction score
Hey geeks!

I am getting less and less patient with clients that don't ecknoledge their kids when having their hair done.
I had a lady today, and whilst she was having her hair cut her daughter was taking all my brushes out of my bag, putting them in her mouth and throwing my products about- her mum was just laughing at her. I kept throwing in polite hints like *dont touch them sweetie, don't do that* but her mum said nothing.
Her daughter then threw my ghd's across the room, thank god they survived! All her mum had to say was *be careful*

It took me much longer to cut the ladies hair as I was trying to keep an eye on what her daughter was touching!
Anyone else have this problem??

I used to be polite like you but now I just say oh you can't touch that and put it away and say to the client there's harmful razors and colours in there x

I don't tolerate clients kids/ animals touching my stuff. I always say firmly to child/ parent/ owner I carry harmful tools and chemicald and I wouldn't want you child/pet getting hurt so can you keep them away as I would feel awful if they (meaning my stuff mostly lol) came to harm. Big smile and they tend to buck their ideas up! amazing what people let their children and pets do!!

When I opened my salon my 2nd ever client let her daughter pull over my shelves and called the child a n** and rubbished me as she was so embarrassed but didn't even think to tell her to stop even though she could have done serious injury! I enforced a strict no child policy the day a little girl (Mums solution to bad behaviour was put it down baby I will go buy you one when we leave) squirted nail adhesive in my eye!!

Oh my god!!! You could have been blinded!!! I dont tolerate any child being naughty. Parent there or not. I tell them not to touch my things because they are dangerous. I make sure the parents hear me too. If they do it again, I move things out of the way and into my cupboard and close the doors. If they then go into my cupboard I sit the child on a chair and tell them to stay there because if they do it again, you and mummy will have to leave and mummy will have only half done nails etc. Mum then usually sorts it out. They normally book further appointments without the child.
I dont mind children coming if they behave. Its a salon not a playground. Parents have to respect that.

i discipline the client and the children- if children cant behave im not responsible if thier child injures themselves! Some nightmare children, but on the flip side some very adorable little ones! Just be firm and polite! xoxo

Had one today, some girl who wanted to play with brushes in her hair (and I hadn't checked for lice so no brushes go near a client score checking) she then decided to try to take the phone as she left. Not sure if the mum was happy but I went over, took the brush from her hand and said "don't play with the equipment they aren't toys" and when she picked up the phone I took it straight out of her hand with a stern look and said "thank you" very snappy.
I think the parents need a smack more than the kids half the time. And the way they just ignore until its too late and scream the place off at them is awful. Some mother done it in Asda the other day, half to pass and say "psycio f****ing bi**h" as I passed. Xoxo

It's unfair on the child to be expected to sit there perfectly, although iPhones and iPads help. I dread it when clients bring their kids in! You get too many parents that just laugh off naughty behaviour.

Saying that the clients themselves can be just as careless with equipment, ha a lady the other week whilst I was mixing her colours she got a pair of stylist scissors and started cutting away at her daughters braid.

I took my daughter into get my hair done when I was on maternity leave she was 4 months old and was happy to sleep through the appointment- she's now 7months and I wouldn't dream of taking her in now maybe in 10 years time!

Oh my. I took my daughter with me to a hair appointment when she was about 7 months old and she just happily sat in her carrycot pram with some toys until I was done. Didn't take her with me until recently (she's now 26 months). She was mostly very good - stood on my lap during the wash (commentating), watched some cartoons on the iPad during the cut and back on my lap for the dry (she's not sure about hair dryers normally). Only tiny bit of trouble was when she got hold of the teabag out of my tea and managed to rip it. Damp tea everywhere. I didn't shout, but I did apologise profusely and wipe what I could up and left an extra £5 tip.

I hope that was the right thing to do!!!

Oh my god, all these story's! I just don't understand why mums would let them play with other people's property, let alone with expensive hair equipment which can also be extremely dangerous! Baffles me. I'm definately going to start being more firm x

I think the worst one I had in was when I was a junior!
A woman had brought her daughter in while she had her hair cut by one of our stylists. Mum assumed, that because I was the junior that I was there to babysit! This little girl was a nightmare. Pulling the brushes out of the drawers, repeatedly trying to get into the area where the colour was kept, and telling me that "Jesus is watching you" I kid you not!
When I quickly nipped to the loo, she used my bosses scissors to cut her one hair!
And through all this her mum said NOTHING.
My mum would have given me such a rollicking for that!

Sent from my GT-I9300 using SalonGeek

I think the worst one I had in was when I was a junior!
A woman had brought her daughter in while she had her hair cut by one of our stylists. Mum assumed, that because I was the junior that I was there to babysit! This little girl was a nightmare. Pulling the brushes out of the drawers, repeatedly trying to get into the area where the colour was kept, and telling me that "Jesus is watching you" I kid you not!
When I quickly nipped to the loo, she used my bosses scissors to cut her one hair!
And through all this her mum said NOTHING.
My mum would have given me such a rollicking for that!

A shop I was working in a while back had similar, a grandmother leaving her granddaughter (maximum aged 6) with my colleague while she "nipped to the toilet" for an hour!
The girl she was left with was doing a child care course but the grandmother had to be told were not a crèche ad that if it happened again my staff would be doing their job and wouldn't be responsible for the child getting hurt, going missing or anything that may happen while not under supervision.

I wonder what these parents would do if the children got hurt or went missing? That girl who's name evades me who's parents left her in the hotel room while in a bar opposite comes to mind. Xoxo

One worst's I had was a thirteen year old yes a teenager, her mum let her stand there and call her a b**** and that she was going to get decked, when her mum went over and slapped her she threw everything I had in the shop on the floor and spat on it :0 in end I phoned the police and they had to give me compo for what they did x

One worst's I had was a thirteen year old yes a teenager, her mum let her stand there and call her a b**** and that she was going to get decked, when her mum went over and slapped her she threw everything I had in the shop on the floor and spat on it :0 in end I phoned the police and they had to give me compo for what they did x

Omg!! Some people

I have a no under 14s policy in my little shop... makes me thankful reading the horror stories! Xx

I have a toddler but wouldn't dream of taking him to a salon.

1. I want to relax and enjoy my salon experience in peace.

2. I don't understand why some mums assume that everyone else finds their children's antics funny and cute, when in reality, it's just spoils the salon experience for the other clients.

My kids are only in a salon if its them having their hair cut!! I do some work mobile & have one client who's daughter is a nightmare!! She now has evening appointments when she's in bed after she pushed my lamp off the table & it went bang!!!
Client did give me the money straight away buy it was a very expensive set of nails!!!

Sent from my GT-N7000 using SalonGeek

Iv got one who I tried to get to come in while her daughter was in school but she was adamant for after school. So we now have to put up with her brat who gets into everything. And all the mum says is " don't do that its naughty" while the child is giggling away thinking its funny to defy her xoxo

I went to a house once and there loverly children dragged my ghds and clippers round the garden then went on to empty my handbag and purse.. nothing was said from the mom x

Sent from my HTC Desire HD A9191 using SalonGeek

I agree most parents are worse than their children, a few years back I was doing a clients hair in the salon and another stylist was cutting a child's hair (not related) the child's parents sat watching whilst their toddler walked out of the salon door and towards the extremely busy main road, I screamed at the parents and had to run out to grab the toddler, they didnt blink an eye and it even happened a second time in the same visit, I told the parents they really must keep an eye on their child as I was too busy to do it for them! Pathetic!!!

Last edited:
I agree most parents are worse than their children, a few years back I was doing a clients hair in the salon and another stylist was cutting a child's hair (not related) the child's parents sat watching whilst there toddler walked out of the salon door and towards the extremely busy main road, I screamed at the parents and had to run out to grab the toddler, they didnt blink an eye and it even happened a second time in the same visit, I told the parents they really must keep an eye on their child as I was too busy to donor for them! Pathetic!!!

Awful! Sometimes I wonder what they would do if you left the child get hurt. Obviously
You wouldn't let it happen, but what if you did, how would try react? With how little care they show them would they be bothered? Xoxo

Latest posts

Back