CND Additives

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Did you mean to say 'uncured' shellac?

I'd be interested to know the "official" answer to cleaning brushes.
I clean my make up mineral brushes with diluted baby shampoo!

Yes, uncured Shellac as per the instructions that came with the kit

Ex

Ex

I have watched a couple of the tutorials on the CND website and like the kit they say to layer the additive on to uncured shellac.
I didn't get a very good result last night by doing it this way.
I have been layering the additive on to the cured second colour coat then floating the top coat over and curing.
Would be interested to know the method that most people use? And which method gives them the best results?
Kiki x

Same as rockstar
Base 10 secs
Colour coat 2 min
Colour cost 2 min
Additives 2 min
Top coat 2 min

Ex

I have watched a couple of the tutorials on the CND website and like the kit they say to layer the additive on to uncured shellac.
I didn't get a very good result last night by doing it this way.
I have been layering the additive on to the cured second colour coat then floating the top coat over and curing.
Would be interested to know the method that most people use? And which method gives them the best results?
Kiki x

CND have corrected this now on their website instructions to say layering onto CURED Shellac x

Same as rockstar
Base 10 secs
Colour coat 2 min
Colour cost 2 min
Additives 2 min
Top coat 2 min

Do you mean you cure the additives for 2 minutes? I didn't know that was necessary? X

Well I didn't think so but then read you do! So I have, correct me if wrong tho! X

There is nothing in the Additives that requires curing, you might only cure if you had put them over UNCURED Shellac.

The Additives step by step example on the CND website shows curing your color coats, burnishing your additives into the tacky layer, then going straight into topcoat, the same way many of us do rockstar nails with glitter x

Last edited:
Oh good! Sorry will have to dig out where I read to cure powder x

You are right Lucie, it does says so in that tutorial.
I remember there was mention of the same design on another thread as well today now that you've posted the link you saw it on- but it really does baffle me why it's necessary to cure the design if the Shellac is cured, and there's nothing in the additives to need curing!!

You are right Lucie, it does says so in that tutorial.
I remember there was mention of the same design on another thread as well today now that you've posted the link you saw it on- but it really does baffle me why it's necessary to cure the design if the Shellac is cured, and there's nothing in the additives to need curing!!

Yes, I asked that exact question earlier in this thread - but no-one seems to be able to correctly answer why you have to cure the additives. Does anybody know?

I wasn't going mad! Got pregnancy brain so I was worried for a second!!!
Still don't know why it needs to be cured either.... Where's geeg?! X

Is it more a case of waiting till the IPA has evaporated from the paste rather than curing. It would just evaporate quicker in the lamp as it is warmer?

I'm loving Additives! Fairly simple but very effective nine the less, Shellac Tutti Frutti with Spectrum Shimmer fade.

Attachments

• ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1344049277.288153.jpg
    ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1344049277.288153.jpg
    37.7 KB · Views: 7,751
CND have corrected this now on their website instructions to say layering onto CURED Shellac x

Thank you clarifying, I must admit when doing it I thought it seemed wrong and it definitively was tricky to do but got there in the end. When Syncage questioned it I actually had to go and check my booklet again as I doubted myself !

Will try the new way today!,

Jus thought, Will applying to uncured shellac still work for solid additive colours though as opposed to getting an effect? As in a wanted a gold colour shellac so mixed the yellow and bronze and applied to clearly pink that was uncured. Will applying to it cured still get that depth of coverage ?

E x

Thank you clarifying, I must admit when doing it I thought it seemed wrong and it definitively was tricky to do but got there in the end. When Syncage questioned it I actually had to go and check my booklet again as I doubted myself !

Will try the new way today!,

Jus thought, Will applying to uncured shellac still work for solid additive colours though as opposed to getting an effect? As in a wanted a gold colour shellac so mixed the yellow and bronze and applied to clearly pink that was uncured. Will applying to it cured still get that depth of coverage ?

E x

I'm over thinking this now I think! Can't wait til there is a course!,!

There is no need to cure the additive on its own- this is just a typo.

Additive should be applied to cured Shellac only.
Adding additives to uncured product will unbalance the exact ingredient mix that enables an exact cure in 2 minutes, resulting in possible undercuring.

There is no need to cure the additive on its own- this is just a typo.

Additive should be applied to cured Shellac only.
Adding additives to uncured product will unbalance the exact ingredient mix that enables an exact cure in 2 minutes, resulting in possible undercuring.

Ok that makes total sense.
Perhaps now the instructions that is being sent out in the kits will be amended.

Well I didn't think so but then read you do! So I have, correct me if wrong tho! X

Sorry Lucie...I had no idea, just couldn't work out why. Looks like the mystery has been solved now! One little printing error caused so much confusion! ;-) x

What about the Olympic designs instructions are they wrong too?

Latest posts

Back