competion nails end results

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

michellehayley

Reaction score
I entered the salon nail competion nails at nec on sunday. They hand picked the top ten and decided they would only judge them as the comp was so busy, luckly I did get into the top 10 and my name will be mentioned in the Guild. Was glad about this because I would be lost without my feedback sheet.

I NEED help though on all my comps I enter I only get a 4 points everytime for my overall finish of my polish application, I am good at painting nails - I mean its not exactally difficult but I just cant get the score. Its bizarre I geat great for white smile lines with l and p but not with a red nail polish!! Does everyone else use a top coat too? I did this time but not last time as I ran out of time.

Also keep getting told my nails are not shiney enough got 6 marks for this but the judge did comment on this. I use UV gel how can I make more shiney!

Please help I was so close this time to getting it this time - I have never wanted anything so much.:hug:

Have you taken any pictures of your competition nails Michelle? Perhaps you could then put them up for critique with your concerns and get some feedback from the industry experts on here.

No I didnt take any pics

well done for entering and getting into the top ten, you are so brave,
i went to the nec yesterday aswell and had a nosey at all the girls during the comp,
Tracy x

No I didnt take any pics

Thats a shame. Maybe a lesson learned for next time, make sure you take some pictures as it can be hard to remember what you need to improve from
if you you have no visual evidence.

Saying that, you are much braver than me as I would never be brave enough to enter the comps in a million years so well done for getting in the top ten. I look forward to hearing about you in The Guild.

i saw the nails that was done and they were fantastic x:)

Thanks hun, I have caught the competing bug now and I want to get better and better so need to keep at it.

how long have you been doing nails and are you going to compete at olympia

Been doing nails for 2 years in July. I did qualifiy in 2001 but then the salons I worked in only did beauty so didnt do any nails until July 2006 when I opened my salon - its now my passion. Not competing at Oylmpia as I sure its when Im on my hols when is it?

Competing at Manchester infact just booked my hotel there are some bargins on laterooms.com at min so thats why I have booked early just got The Lowery (which is a really posh celeb hotel) for the Sunday for £115 stayed their once before and it was £275!!

you have got the competition bug lol.
olympia is 18-19 may
is you salon just for nails or all beauty?

Marion & I peeked in the comp area, didnt know who we were looking for lol

You were all working away and I could feel the tension from the sideline lol

I hope I can gain that comp confidence in a year or 2 ..

Well done to All

Champagne

you have got the competition bug lol.
olympia is 18-19 may
is you salon just for nails or all beauty?

I may be able to go then just get back. My salon is nails and beauty we do just about everything - my fav is nails though

I actually talked to a judge that attends nailcompetitions here in Sweden and in dusseldorf and she said that she has never given a full 5 points for polish. She mentioned to me that the biggest problem is that some leave to much distance between the cuticle and the polish application and others go too close and flood it. So i guess that there is a reall hairfine line on where the polish should be placed :rolleyes:
But i guess that it all depends from judge to judge. Some take even a small light to look for airbubbels in the enhancements while others think that if you can,t see them in regular light it's just fine.

At the end of the comps when the results have all been given you should ask the judges for verbal feedback,
they are limited to what they can write on the score sheets because of the time factor but they are always happy to talk to you and give you any advise that they can,
they have all been where you are now at some point in their lives and are people too, not monsters to be scared of,
if you are brave enough to compete then you are brave enough to talk to them hun :hug:

I too pride myself in my polish application and when I first started to compete didn't quite 'get it' why I wouldn't score high for polishing.

Although your polish application has to be spot on and you also have to polish all the edges, etc, you also have to make sure there are no scratches remaining on the nails before you apply the polish. You should also buff the nails to be polished to a high shine because that will show through and give the polish a better finish.

As has been said, you should ensure you get feedback from the judges. Track them down at the end of the comp with your score sheet and your model so that they can talk you through their comments.

Keep up the good work! x:)

Thanks, I didnt think to ask them for advice but I will next time

Latest posts

Back