Confidence

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PeepPaws

Reaction score
I know we all have trouble with confidence and I have read threads on here about it.
I am happy 'doing ' the set of nails and pleased with my outcome, but I have trouble with confidence when they look at them so closely after I have completed the nails. I really need to get it into my head that they are looking and happy and not looking for fault.
How long does it take for you to feel that they are looking and happy?
I am now working, space renting in the hair salon and I am loving it. Today was a day of feeling like this. Is it normal.......will I come out of it?
Not much of a thread, but I am interested to see of this is common and I am not alone .....:rolleyes:

I understand what you mean , its quite normal to have ups and downs, some days i look at my work and think good then i have a challange , and i am not happy with the result (even though the client is). The fact that we look for faults is helping us on the journey to perfecting our skills. It is part of the steep learning curve of nails , Rome wasnt built in a day!:)

Thanks so much for that. I have read it, printed it and going to keep it in my drawer at work!
Each time I finish a set of nails and the client is studying them, I do ask a couple times if they are happy. I also explain about using your hands differently. Not to worry if they break one as I will repair that for them if they phone. I also use the Creative Cleint records and it states on there about responsibility for their own nails once they have left the salon. I think I am covering everything well.......and I suppose it will grow as I am doing it more. I mean, blimey, this is only my 2nd day in the salon! All my other clients beforehand have been people I have known. This is new people. They all said they were very happy today.... I just need to learn that they are 'happy looking'!

I am confident in most of my work now...but I am not confident in myself (if that makes sense)
I often explain myself ...and chat about things i really dont need to be chatting about...its almost as if I am constantly reasuring myself that I do know what I am doing..
But I must stop doing it, because I am creating a bunch of perfectionist monster clients lol :lol:

I understand what you mean , its quite normal to have ups and downs, some days i look at my work and think good then i have a challange , and i am not happy with the result (even though the client is). The fact that we look for faults is helping us on the journey to perfecting our skills. It is part of the steep learning curve of nails , Rome wasnt built in a day!:)

Absolutely agree with this quote.

It also helps if, when a client is inspecting her nails closely, be it half way through or at the end, make eye contact with her and ask "are they ok for you or is there something you're not happy with? I'd much rather you said so I can change it now . . . . " The first few times I asked I'd feel almost faint with worry in case she said she wanted them all redone lol; but do you know what, it does your confidence a lot of good really because a lot of people say things like "no, they're lovely, I was just admiring them" or "I like the shape more than the way I used to have them done" or something complimentary like that - 95% of the time!

Absolutely agree with this quote.

It also helps if, when a client is inspecting her nails closely, be it half way through or at the end, make eye contact with her and ask "are they ok for you or is there something you're not happy with? I'd much rather you said so I can change it now . . . . " The first few times I asked I'd feel almost faint with worry in case she said she wanted them all redone lol; but do you know what, it does your confidence a lot of good really because a lot of people say things like "no, they're lovely, I was just admiring them" or "I like the shape more than the way I used to have them done" or something complimentary like that - 95% of the time! Try it!

Man alive :eek: I would never say this!! I'd say ... Aren't they beautiful? Don't you just love feeling them? They make your hands look so pretty. The shape is perfect for you. etc etc. Why would I ask if there was something she wasn'thappy with?? We should've sorted all that at the beginning of the appointment when we agreed the service!

Man alive :eek: I would never say this!! I'd say ... Aren't they beautiful? Don't you just love feeling them? They make your hands look so pretty. The shape is perfect for you. etc etc. Why would I ask if there was something she wasn'thappy with?? We should've sorted all that at the beginning of the appointment when we agreed the service!

Because if I can't see that there is anything wrong myself, then I can be fairly sure of a positive answer. It's not my nature to say the things you've quoted, lol, I can't blow my own trumpet like that!! I know it's good technique but it's not me . . .

I'd rather hear it straight from the horses mouth that she loves 'em.

Because if I can't see that there is anything wrong myself, then I can be fairly sure of a positive answer. It's not my nature to say the things you've quoted, lol, I can't blow my own trumpet like that!! I know it's good technique but it's not me . . .

I'd rather hear it straight from the horses mouth that she loves 'em.

Then ask her if she loves them .. don't ask her if she doesn't! Can't you see the difference?

Then ask her if she loves them .. don't ask her if she doesn't! Can't you see the difference?
I agree with this....by saying to a client if there is any thing that there is that they DONT like it instantly gives out negativity...well thats the way i see it:)

You're right lol, it would probably be better to phrase it like that. (As long as the answer is the same I'm happy either way)

I love seeing a finished set of my nails, I feel so proud. I think to myself 'blood sweat and tears went into those babies' :lol:

I agree with this....by saying to a client if there is any thing that there is that they DONT like it instantly gives out negativity...well thats the way i see it:)

Exactly ... they'll be looking to find something they don't like instead of concentrating on what they do like. It makes one sound very unsure to ask in the way you are asking, blossom. Surely you must see that.

this makes me laugh!!!

i often say to my clients,
" there you go, i did it again!!! im soo good, i managed to make your make your nails drop dead gorgeous , AGAIN!!!"

they laugh back with me, and off they go!!!

over confident? maybe , but it works for me x

Exactly ... they'll be looking to find something they don't like instead of concentrating on what they do like. It makes one sound very unsure to ask in the way you are asking, blossom. Surely you must see that.

Never really thought about it before lol, just happy when they say oh no, nothing like that etc. Then I think to myself, well, I gave them the chance to say if there was anything . . . (I only ever say it if they appear to be studying them too intensely for my liking, which isn't all that often)

When I think about it, I've been doing it for a long time, and in the last year my confidence has grown in my work. Maybe it's time to re-phrase that one. I do see that as I am confident that the answer is going to be that they love them, then why not phrase it positively. I will try to remember next time and say something along the lines of what you said geeg, thank you. :)

Some of these responses are fab thank you...

Reading these posts actually has made me realise I'm still very unconfident..and it shows in my work sometimes..
for instance..my timings...
I find if it is a regular client..I have done them plenty of times..i know them well...they are usually in and out..done! happy! ...gone!
leaving me feeling very positive.

Whereas if it is a new client or I am not sure what I am doing...I can feel pressure on me straight away..everything from greeting them.."trying" to make them like me...rather than being confident as soon as I open the door.

To "do you like this shape"...."I'm just using cuticle remover..for this reason"..
"if you happen to get lifting....give me a ring" ..
Even though I know I NEVER get lifting anymore...

Its almost sometimes as if I predicting a problem...before I have even done the set...but again this is down to confidence in MYSELF ...
god I need to get over it lol..

I also do the " are you OK with those is there something wrong ?"
as they are looking at their hand... (I find once I say this ...they search for a problem..i think ooohh noooo)

But NOW I will use ..
" Don't they look lovely...they really suit you that shape"

even typing that if i am honest feels much better..

In fact I don't have a client tomorrow...This may sound silly..but I am going to jot down the negative things I tend to say....
and then next to it...put a more positive response that I will use instead ..

:green: I am really liking that idea..
thank you geeks :hug:

In fact I don't have a client tomorrow...This may sound silly..but I am going to jot down the negative things I tend to say....
and then next to it...put a more positive response that I will use instead ..

:green: I am really liking that idea..
thank you geeks :hug:

Sounds like a fab idea for a new thread tomorrow then lol!

Hun, Listen To Geeg, I Always Look Out For Her Posts And Always Feel Positive From Them. You Must Be Confident In Your Work Or Your Clients Will Doubt You Especially If You Ask What They Dont Like. Concentrate On How Much Better They Look! And Tell Your Clients So. Be Positive Or You Will Always Feel That There Is Something Wrong With Your Work. Constructive Criticism Is Good But Let The Pro's Give You That, You Will Always Learn Something From This Site.

as a new technician i dont know what i would do without this site!
I have recently had a case of greenies on my mums nails and went into panic wondering when her nail will drop off. but this site and all of you lot helped me with the answers . so with restored confidance i went and did another set of nails, which have now chipped off. so again confiance down i was thinking what have i done wrong.
now i have read this and i see IT MAY NOT BE MY FAULT!!!!!!!
my confidance is back up again.
thanks to you all xxxxxxxx

Latest posts

Back