Courses approved by The Guild and BABTAC

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi Couldnt Habia or the Guild help very small scale businesses just at first so the small trainer can get established with their backing ,
then they could meet all these fees in the future when they are established or set a payment future date.
and Habia or the Guild would gain too ?

Last edited:
Hi Couldnt Habia or the guild help very small scale businesses just at first so the small trainer can get established with their backing ,
then they could meet all these fees in the future when they are established or set a payment future date .
and Habia or the Guild would gain too ?

Can you imagine just how much work that would involve for no guaranteed return at the end of it?

Hi ok , I suppose things will just go on as they are then ,

but I was very interested in what the Guild were saying earlier

And Babtac too .:hug:

If students are to be asked for feedback about how they feel their courses were, I think a large section would need to be asked. For example, during our Nail Technology lessons at college (during a 2 year full time course) 2 of the girls constantly complained about the teacher (I was course rep at the time so often a point of contact for concerns) and the lessons. I was doing the exact same lessons at the exact same time, and had the same amount of practical and written assesments, presentations, research etc to do.
I thought our teacher was fab, she is an older lady that had been involved in enhancments since the 80's, seen how products had developed, ran her own successful business, done lots of courses (both current and ye olde) and she also runs conversions and 1-2's in her own time.

Basically (sorry for babbling on) the 2 'complainees' chose to fail the nail tech unit on the grounds that her teaching was not very good, however the rest of us worked our asses off (and trashed our nails in the process of learning!) until we were up to her standards to pass us!

My point being, some girls might bad mouth a course simply because they can't be bothered to learn, so therefore blame the teacher.

If students are to be asked for feedback about how they feel their courses were, I think a large section would need to be asked. For example, during our Nail Technology lessons at college (during a 2 year full time course) 2 of the girls constantly complained about the teacher (I was course rep at the time so often a point of contact for concerns) and the lessons. I was doing the exact same lessons at the exact same time, and had the same amount of practical and written assesments, presentations, research etc to do.
I thought our teacher was fab, she is an older lady that had been involved in enhancments since the 80's, seen how products had developed, ran her own successful business, done lots of courses (both current and ye olde) and she also runs conversions and 1-2's in her own time.

Basically (sorry for babbling on) the 2 'complainees' chose to fail the nail tech unit on the grounds that her teaching was not very good, however the rest of us worked our asses off (and trashed our nails in the process of learning!) until we were up to her standards to pass us!

My point being, some girls might bad mouth a course simply because they can't be bothered to learn, so therefore blame the teacher.

Well it is sad to hear that your nails were 'trashed' as you put it after the class. I would have said that no teacher would allow anyone to trash anyone elses' nails during a course. That is part of teaching well.

Geeg,

Are the cnd courses approved or accredited by anybody and if not how does this affect insurance?

Geeg,

Are the CND courses approved or accredited by anybody and if not how does this affect insurance?

There is absolutely no problem getting insurance after a CND course. Remember, hun, CND wrote the book on education and really do not need anyone else's accreditation ... they have set the standard of nail education in the UK and continue to do so.

Last edited:
oh i totally agree but i just wondered how do the insurance companies decide who theyll insure with what training?
For example,im qualified to teach adults(recently) and an nvq assessor so if i set up my own training company would my students be able to get insurance with just a 'certificate' from me?
its all so confusing!

oh i totally agree but i just wondered how do the insurance companies decide who theyll insure with what training?
For example,im qualified to teach adults(recently) and an nvq assessor so if i set up my own training company would my students be able to get insurance with just a 'certificate' from me?
its all so confusing!

No it is really really simple! The insurance companies will ensure absolutely any courses, approved or not! Why? Because they are in the risk business. They just take the risk that no one will sue anyone. And 10 times out of 10 they don't!! Until someone does, they will continue to take the risk? Simple.

Hi

I have been reading this thread with interest. I would like to do a course on everything to do with nails, as well as a few other beauty treatments.
I have a thread started 'which course', i now feel very confused as i dont want to waste money on a course which may not be accredited or approved by guild etc

Because I really can't decide whether to get my courses accredited or not, I tell my students who are not 'qualified' in waxing to do a 1 day course with one of these huge companies just so they can get insured. They learn little or nothing and are then left to wax each other brows off and cause no end of damage to each other. They then come to me and really learn to wax. I never leave their side and we spend the whole time waxing.

I'm sure that I will go down the accreditation route eventually but not because I want the kudos of saying my courses are accredited, but because there are so many people misguided into thinking that accredited courses are 'better'.

I think it's unrealistic for the insurers to be able to do regular checks. However, I think that if a complaint is made, it should be investigated with a view to removing the accreditation if serious enough.

No it is really really simple! The insurance companies will ensure absolutely any courses, approved or not! Why? Because they are in the risk business. They just take the risk that no one will sue anyone. And 10 times out of 10 they don't!! Until someone does, they will continue to take the risk? Simple.

Hi Gigi,

That really is not the case. I cannot speak for other insurance companies, but here at the Guild we simply cannot accept every certificate that is sent to us. Without suitable training the therapist, client and ourselves are left open to no end of repercussions. Without a nationally recognised qualification, or a certificate from an accredited school we cannot guarantee insurance as we do not know where the qualification has come from or what standard the course reaches.

It is not in anybody's interests to for us to insure therapists or techs who have not received what we consider to be an adequate level of training.

Also, for the record, CND courses are accredited by the Guild for insurance purposes.

Hi Gigi,

That really is not the case. I cannot speak for other insurance companies, but here at the Guild we simply cannot accept every certificate that is sent to us. Without suitable training the therapist, client and ourselves are left open to no end of repercussions. Without a nationally recognised qualification, or a certificate from an accredited school we cannot guarantee insurance as we do not know where the qualification has come from or what standard the course reaches.

It is not in anybody's interests to for us to insure therapists or techs who have not received what we consider to be an adequate level of training.

Also, for the record, CND courses are accredited by the Guild for insurance purposes.

I know that in the case of the GUILD, you will not insure just anyone.

I was speaking generally in that it is possible for anyone with any certificate to obtain insurance if they really want to. If not from you, they will go somewhere else, but in my experience they will get it from some insurance provider.

Actually I did not know that CND courses were accredited by the GUILD but again, students with a CND certificate have never had a problem obtaining insurance from other sources if they so desired.

I know that in the case of the GUILD, you will not insure just anyone.

Actually I did not know that CND courses were accredited by the GUILD but again, students with a CND certificate have never had a problem obtaining insurance from other sources if they so desired.

So can I ask the Guild ; Are all established and trusted Trainers like CND who over many years have earned thier good training reputation already accredited by the guild for insurance purposes then ?
:hug: thanks in advance

I found out today that the make up course I want to do, which has been recommended on here, is not accredited by BABTAC and therefore I would not be insured.
What I would like to know (and have asked BABTAC) is where can I see a list of all the courses accredited by BABTAC. I can't see it on their website and I don't want to get excited by a course again only to discover that it's not accredited.
Grrrr!

Hi Calla

I know it's a bit after-the-event, but we do have plans to list all our course providers on our website at some point soon - but with many hundreds of courses, it' not an easy thing to do in a way that an at-home surfer can access with a 56k dial-up!

Working on it. Watch our space!

Regards

PHILIP SWINFORD
Marketing Services Manager
BABTAC

Hi guys,

Just some information; when I was sorting out my accreditation and received the BABTAC literature (amongst others) it stated that 'one day courses' would not be included.
Fine by me, but it didn't seem to add up with stuff I had seen the competition advertising with....and agree with these companies and their courses or not, that's not my issue here, but as far as I am concerned the same set of rules should apply to all peeps!

Being in this business I of course would be daft not to check out the competition on a regular basis...one company advertising online very openly stated the fact that they do one day courses (because with them you WILL learn all you need to know:rolleyes:) and were stating that they were BABTAC accredited.

Not being one to let anyone getting away with that :)irked:) I emailed BABTAC and informed them of this particular situation, and rightfully so they informed me they couldn't comment on individual cases but they would pass my info on to the appropiate person, a few months later the same company still hadn't changed their online statements.
Not saying that BABTAC didn't act-but someone should enforce changes (or smack the companies concerned on the fingers and make sure they change the info they put out there!) so that the innocent people looking for courses do not get duped!

Trading standards???

(This of course was also a company that used an image that i paid 'Gettys Images' for to be allowed to use it in advertising.....I wonder if they paid them as well?? And what's the point in me taking all the legal routes if others don't bother and obviously get away with it?)

Some people just don't care....

Scruples anyone????:evil:

That's me done for now-enjoy the rest of your day!!!

Addendum folks

We don't charge an ongoing annual fee for accreditation (I didn't know that anyone did!), because we feel that would be too much like a 'bribe to stay on the books'. Once you're accreditted with BABTAC, that's it.

Also - once you've had the first course accredited, which costs £195, any further courses are only £45 each (because we'd have done a lot of the hard work).

Like our friends at Guild we will always investigate any complaints andreserve the right to withdraw accreditation. And we do carryourregularreviews and the occasional spot-check.

It's all a bit more complex and time-consuming than filling in a form!

Regards

PHILIP SWINFORD
Marketing Services Manager
BABTAC

Thank you for this information Philip, this is really fab :hug:

Hi guys,

Just some information; when I was sorting out my accreditation and received the BABTAC literature (amongst others) it stated that 'one day courses' would not be included.

Yet when I asked about the wax training course run by Capital, which is a one day course, BABTAC were fine about that one!
I'm very confused now :irked:

Last edited:
Yet when I asked about the wax training course run by Capital, which is a one day course, BABTAC were fine about that one!
I'm very confused now :irked:

Hi!

I was referring to 'one day nail courses', I have never looked into accreditation regarding those courses, since that is not my thing...so I cannot comment on that! Sorry!
x

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back