Crisps banned in hospitals!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Annie23

Reaction score
I have just turned Sky News interactive on and have read that from today hospitals in Wales are banned from selling crisps, sweets and fizzy drinks from vending machines. Nothing is said about shops in the hospitals but I suspect that this is the case also. It also says that patients and visitors will be given advice on 5 a day.

Now is it just me but I think this is taking things just a bit too far, I know we are supposed to eat healthily but there is room for "junk food" in moderation. I thought we are supposed to live in a free society and that the western world prides itself on this.

I can understand why certain foods are banned in schools but as adults surely can't we make up our own minds up about what we eat or don't eat in the unfortunate event of having to go to the hospital. What about those poor unfortunates that are in for more than a few days, hospital food is at best awful and a bar of chocolate would provide some nutrition in place of food that is unedible. My mum recently went in hospital and couldnt eat the food so she didnt eat properly for four days.

Whats next screening our bags as we enter the hospital for hidden goodies.:eek::eek: hehe

anyway enough of my ranting, what do you think good or bad idea?

Anne xx

I think it's not a bad idea, in principle.
I remember the days when patients could smoke in the day room and could never quite understand how that could be, especially after surgery, or after a coronary!
Unfortunately a goodly percentage of the population need rescuing from themselves.
Sorry to hear about your mum - I hope someone complained about the food as decent nutrition forms a large part of the healing process.

I think eating healthily is important just like the next person, I just think its not right to have your own choices taken away from you, I think there is room for all foods in moderation good or bad. I have a weight problem and have seen a dietician and even she said its unrealistic to cut out foods we enjoy in the long term. I do however totally agree that after surgery diets recommended by doctors should be adhered to regardless.

A few years ago I was in hospital for over 6 weeks and I would have gone out of my tree if I couldnt go for my daily walk to the shop for a newspaper and something to snack on, but hey thats just me.

Thanks for asking after my mum, in fact no one did complain about the food, and we should have done as she can't afford to loose any weight and she did. The problem was she never commented really until she got back home, but the general consensus on her ward was the food was unedible.

Anne :)

It's the Nanny State gone mad!!!

Well it sounds like a step in the right direction!..Id rather look at it as taking away the temptation many of us cant resist (but probably want to!) rather than being told what to do.
Infact I get really annjoyed at vending machines...and that often in places like that...hospitals, leisure centres, schools...etc...etc....the only snack you can get is sweets, chocolate and fizzy drinks....what about encouraging children to get a healthy snack...and letting people be able to get something reasonably healthy ESPECIALLY in a hospital...and a leisure centre for goodness sake where people are trying to do something positive for their health!!!! why cant they have venders with fruit or yoghurt or something like that! If you ask me this country needs to put far more effort into encouraging people to eat healthy...and not just encouraging but taking away the temptations and making the good stuff a lot more accessible and in some cases...affordable. JMO x

Infact its like smoking as well...im a smoker myself....on a scale of 1 to 100 my will power is about minus 100 lol....Im not sure ill ever give up unless im somehow forced....ive always wished the government would suddenly whack the prices of cigs up to a ridiculous amount...like 30 quid a pack or something lol...that would force me to stop as I simply couldnt afford it and there would be a hell of a lot of other people that couldnt either...the amount of people that would stop would be massive!! Id like to see this with food as well...make the bad stuff considrably more expensive than the good stuff....I know its not as easy as all that tho! x

why cant they have venders with fruit or yoghurt or something like that! If you ask me this country needs to put far more effort into encouraging people to eat healthy...x

Yes, that would be a far better idea. Rather than just doing a blanket ban on vending machines.
At the end of the day though we are adults and should be allowed to make our own decisions.
Sadly in life, taking something away from someone just makes them want it more, as we saw with some of the backlash to jaimies school dinners. I mean the women pushing fast food though the school gates etc....:rolleyes:

Infact its like smoking as well...im a smoker myself....on a scale of 1 to 100 my will power is about minus 100 lol....Im not sure ill ever give up unless im somehow forced....ive always wished the government would suddenly whack the prices of cigs up to a ridiculous amount...like 30 quid a pack or something lol...that would force me to stop as I simply couldnt afford it and there would be a hell of a lot of other people that couldnt either...the amount of people that would stop would be massive!! Id like to see this with food as well...make the bad stuff considrably more expensive than the good stuff....I know its not as easy as all that tho! x

I just wish they would stop making them....but thats hardly going to happen eh...the government make ££££ out of us smokers then try to act like they are trying to do something good by putting sick images on fag packets....:rolleyes:

I think some valid points have been made, I'm totally with you Anna that places like health clubs/centres should have healthy food options available, when I used go to the gym I'd always have to take a banana as they never had anything found suitable to eat after a workout. This used to bug me especially as I used to forget but didnt want to defeat the object by eating something loaded in calories.

Regarding hospitals though, why cant they have all options available both healthy food and snack type food. What I'm objecting to is as adults we should be able to decide ourselves what we eat and don't eat and not have choices taken away from us.

I think I may upset the apple cart here, pardon the pun, but I think its bloody ridiculous being told what we can and cant eat. I understand the special diet thing if your n hospital for a particular problem, but other than that, surely its up to you.
I know at my local hospital's there is always both options available healthy or not, either to buy or on the menu.
And lets face it they may well stop selling it in the hospital's but that doesn't stop visitors bringing it in with them does it.
As for putting cigarette up to £30 a packet, I remember saying I would stop when they reached a £1 and I'm still smoking, and it cant be far off the equivalent lol..x

It would be ok if hospital food was healthy.
When I had to stay in hospital I could of caused death by toast if I had thrown it at somebody. Hard was not the word!

They throw all this money at the NHS and they can't even feed the patients decent food. :irked:

I just wish Gary Linekar would stop promoting them x

It's the Nanny State gone mad!!!

Isn't it just ! Beleive me come labour day my hospital bag will include orignial Seabrook ......... Seriously

Its bad enough staying in hospital , but without the prospect of a bar of chocolate or packet of crisps.....would make it quite unbearable.
There are people who are in and out of hospitals....and sometimes its made bearable by a bag of fruit bonbons or a bottle of ribena...
as for vending machines encouraging children to not eat healthy foods.....parents have the freedom of choice to choose if they buy it for the kids, supply money too the kids for the machines....not the government.....
they will be saying next "hospitals cause obesity".
is saying no to unhealthy snacks in hospitals really going to make people healthy....
decent nutrition does help with the healing process....so does positivity of mind......and if a bar of chocolate or a packet of crisps help this....who has the right to say no...

You ned chrisps and chocolate in hospital the foods so awful

Rubyx

I quite like the hospital food around here....I ate half my mums before she died (she told me to eat it when she couldn't or didn't want to)and it was excellent quality. Bless her heart x
What I want to see is Pot Noodle machines:)
Bring it!!
I'm not going without a pot noodle!!!???:eek:

I quite like the hospital food around here....I ate half my mums before she died (she told me to eat it when she couldn't or didn't want to)and it was excellent quality. Bless her heart x
What I want to see is Pot Noodle machines:)
Bring it!!
I'm not going without a pot noodle!!!???:eek:
Explains why you like hospital food chick...:hug: x

I agree with those that have said about the hospital food !

A couple of months ago I had my first ever overnight stay in hospital and some of it was quite nice and some absolutley vile which unfortunatley just happened to be the veg, it was grey :suprised::eek:

I ended up pigging out on sweets and chocolate after breakfast which was being sold on the little trolley they bring round for patients, didn't even need to go to the shop !!

Personally, I don't like being told what I can or cannot eat!
If I was somewhere and fancied some crisps the fact that a vending machine didn't stock them wouldn't be enough to make me stop eating them....I'd wait and then stop at a shop or petrol garage on the way home!!!!!!!!

You rarely see one vending machine standing all alone, there are usually 2 or 3 so why not have one with crisps, chocolate etc and one which contains healthy stuff??

The people who stock up these vending machines are capable of putting fruit juice and water along side fizzy drinks in the drinks machines so why not do with food???

Latest posts

Back