Crying over spilt lashes, tips or advice?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

facelashbrow

Reaction score
My 'client' has just left after a failed lash extension evening and I have had to have a little cry!

(edited to add, this turned out to be really long, sorry, but I hope you stay with me :o )

I trained 2 weeks ago, and have done one set last week (I just couldnt get people booked in) but I did do lots of patch tests and I now have 5 full sets booked in (for free as theyre case studies and friends who are guinea pigs) in the next five days.

My first set werent perfect, but they werent bad, just not enough lashes and I probably could have done with a little less glue and not used any 13mms. I used J curls 2.0, 9,11,13mm. This was on the same girl I did tonight.
She came back tonight and I said I think we should do c curls instead and stick to 9s and 11s and 0.15. Showed her a c patch test and she agreed. Got her on the couch and it just seemed to all go wrong! I really struggled to isolate the lashes, then when I would pick up my lash I would lose isolation. Then I kept dropping the bl00dy things, and when I did get them on her lashes they either werent straight, or wouldnt stay on. I really, really struggled to get them on straight. Do you think this could be because I used a different curl- did you find it a bit harder at first with a c curl? I found the c curl patch test harder too- all my other patches and set was with js.
After 1 hr I only had about 5 on, so I said she wouldnt get her full set but I would continue for 20 mins for practise and then remove them all which she didnt mind. Luckily she is sooo lovely and a friend, and happy to be a guinea pig rather than in it for some lashes iykwim.

There are several things that I feel went wrong. I think I needed extra light. I clearly need more practise in isolation, although I didnt find it this hard before, even last night when practising and doing a patch. The c curl thing- would that make a difference? I switched to using x tweezers for the last 20 minutes and was much quicker, and got another 5 on, but I still couldnt get them on with a good bond at the base. My tutor told me that I used too much glue last time, so maybe I over compensated this time by not using enough. Lastly, when doing them I noticed lumps of black. I thought it was glue, thinking my god I must have used too much, but then when cleaning it off, thought it looked like mascara but its hard to tell. I aske dher if she had worn make up and she said she did the day before. When I took the tape off I notcied the tiny lumps in her lower lashes too which makes me think it was mascara because it would most certainly not be glue in her lowers?!! So maybe thats why I had issues with sticking, because she had oil in her lashes?

Sorry to ramble, but if anyone can answer some of the wuestions and also let me know if you felt like this or had any issues at the beginning it would help- I am worried that I just cant do it and I am not going to get the hang of ot. My plan was to lash my ass off to get v good and hopefully break into the Xmas market for lashes. I am also about to email this to my tutor :)

Feeling really down and disappointed in myself.

I'll be honest, I didn't read the whole thing. Sorry!

When you first start lashing you should stick to J curls (what u train with) as they are easier to use.

Don't feel disheartened, they are tricky to get the hang off.

Hi hun. I'm sorry I can't help as im not trained in individuals only clusters. But just wanted to say you always get treatments whatever they at be that just don't go well! Please don't let it put you off. Hugs xx

Awww hun, im sorry i dont do lashes either but please dont be hard on yourself! Im sure they are quite tricky to do!

Now you have a had a little cry (get it all out your system) chin up and keep going! I bet in no time at all you will be amazing xxx big hugs xx

Sent from my GT-S5830 using SalonGeek

I know you have only just trained and therefore will have spent out lots but I would recommend you buy yourself a tray of lashes as these are so much easier to pick up and when you pick them up they are the correct way which makes placing them much easier.

I trained with lashes in a pot and would sometimes lose my isolation because I was concentration so much on getting the lash at the correct end with the curl the correct way ready to dip through the glue.

I have found strips so much easier to work with.

Don't go beating yourself up over tonight just mark it up as experience and allow yourself to learn from it. Nobody is perfect at things straight away and practice makes perfect.

Chin up and hugs.

Ok, firstly take a deep breath :D
Well done in passing, it's not easy training and takes some people years to perfect so don't worry.
You have answered all your own questions so you need to give yourself a break.
When I first trained it took me a few attempts, I was lucky in that I took to it easily but I was really slow. I found I couldn't use x type tweezers and once I changed this was much easier. Some prefer x. U need to learn what's best for u.

Always prepare lashes first. Even if a client says they have no make up u can't take thier word for it. It's best for u to clean them so u know what u are working with.
Keep with the j curls if you are happy with them!

It's only your second time, don't expect it to be perfect.

Lashing is a very skilled service, it's not something u can learn in a day and then expect to be great at.
U can learn the technique on day one but then u only know the very basics...THEN u practice, practice, practice. Read lots on hear, there's loads of threads which will help u. I've been doing it nearly a year, I'm very good and get great feedback but I still have so much to learn. Anyone who says different is naive.

I'm not going to go through all the technique as its been done lots on here already.
I suggest u get a cuppa and start searching threads which will be invaluable to you.
Then go practice some more!

You will be fine, we've all been there :)
Just don't be so hard on yourself :D

Good luck and stick with it, it takes time to master but is sooo worth it xxxx

Thank you everyone, that really really helps.

Sorry about the epic post lol, I didnt realise it was quite that long!!!

Zoe- I might stick with j curls until I am confident and then move on to c then. I didnt want to avoid them if I found them hard but you're right its only my second go!

Baggybear- Halfway through I placed my lashes on a strip of tape before so they were the right way up and this helped, but I will invest in a tray too and see how I get on with them. Thanks for the tip!

Jiggly- I have defo learned my lesson with cleaning them before. If I use Simple, I should be ok right? I've been prepared to practise practrsie practise because I want to be amazing, not just unleash myself on the public not doing it correctly. I have been on SG for hours over the last few weeks (4 straight yesterday!) and am pretty obsessed and grateful for all the knowledge here! Thank you so much, I feel much better already. Just frustrated with myself! But tomorrows a new day and a new person to practise on...

Thank you ladies-- feel better now enliven and bing! hugs! xx

You will be fine!
We've all started somewhere and sobbed and felt useless but I bet the next time u have a go u will feel even better already :)
U will get there, just give yourself some time.
Good luck!! Xx

Jiggly- I have defo learned my lesson with cleaning them before. If I use Simple, I should be ok right?

Lots of points to be covered in your post but I'll just pick up on this one.

Simple is just an eye make up remover. It is really important to also use a primer. This does more than just clean the lashes. It will make sure they are free from any natural oils that may be present in the skin or the lash and is a really essential part of your prep.

Extensions will never adhere properly to lashes which are not squeaky clean.

We are at the same stage my lovely! I trained a fortnight ago and have only mangaged to fit in two practice sets so far, need six to get my qualification so I'm hoping to do a lot more next week - in between working a 60 hour week in car sales and doing some spray tans! :eek: I am really passionate about lashes, I've had SP's on my own eyes for the past 18 months continuously and find it really therapeutic doing it! Well, anyway, don't want to waffle but deep breathes, you will get better, I panicked a bit on my second set coz of the dropping and the frustration but its only natural. Who did you train with, the importance of thoroughly cleansed and primed lashes was drummed into me - are you priming? xxx :hug:

I practised for nearly a year before I felt my lashes were up too scratch, I remember my first set for a friend, they were awful I managed to get about 4 to stay in, 3years later I could do them with my eyes closed (iykwim) the rapid lashes are a lot easier than the pots! Head up chic, you will soon wonder what all the upset was about! Xx

Thanks Elliejoy :) I feel much better, just done a set in someone else, this time using a j curl and x tweezers and found it easier. I needed to put more lashes on, and two got stuck together which I had to separate. They're not perfect but I'm much much happier with them, keep looking at the pic and have another practise tomorrow. And the girl I did tonight thinks they're brilliant :-D

I made sure they were super clean, I did yesterday too but clearly not enough. Trained with eyelash emporium, primer and more pads are on my list for tomorrow.

Thanks Elliejoy, I am taking it seriously everyone, I don't want to be a cowboy or someone who gets a bad reputation, or doesn't do a fabulous job. I want to be kbow for doing brilliant beautiful lashes that last, we have to start somewhere, hey.

Tried to upload a pic but my phone won't let me xx

Sent from my HTC Desire using SalonGeek

Well done babe x

I also Have just done a Lash course yesterday and really did not feel as though i had done very well : ( I know it takes lots of practise, but i really do not know if i will ever be able to do a set in less than 2 hours, will probably take me a day!! I find it so hard gettig the co-ordination of my left hand working with my right, and as for isolating the lash's ..... well i cant see why i find that so hard, when everyone seems to be able to do it so well, perhaps it was the girl lashes i was practising on... even when i tried on false one's on a dummy head, they were hard, cos there was no give in false one's! I have to now decide do i invest in the starter kit to do more practisehttp://www.salongeek.com/images/smilies/icon_neutral.gif, or do i give up as a bad job, and believe i was never gonna make a lash technician after a day's traininghttp://www.salongeek.com/images/icons/new/icon_cry.gif

You sound so much like me when I first started! :lol: I had no depth perception, and had a terrible time isolating one lash. I was sure I had wasted my money. Lashing is an art form, trust me. The only thing to do is practice practice practice. Keep at it, and one day you will look back and be amazed how far you've come. Each persons lashes are different, and you will have hard sets and easy sets. Keep your spirits up, and don't give up! You can do it! :green:

Thanks Elliejoy :) I feel much better, just done a set in someone else, this time using a j curl and x tweezers and found it easier. I needed to put more lashes on, and two got stuck together which I had to separate. They're not perfect but I'm much much happier with them, keep looking at the pic and have another practise tomorrow. And the girl I did tonight thinks they're brilliant :-D

I made sure they were super clean, I did yesterday too but clearly not enough. Trained with eyelash emporium, primer and more pads are on my list for tomorrow.

Thanks Elliejoy, I am taking it seriously everyone, I don't want to be a cowboy or someone who gets a bad reputation, or doesn't do a fabulous job. I want to be kbow for doing brilliant beautiful lashes that last, we have to start somewhere, hey.

Tried to upload a pic but my phone won't let me xx

Sent from my HTC Desire using SalonGeek

See that sent went better, it will only ever improve, practice makes perfect :) keep up the hard work Hun!

And p.s. I still cry sometimes when it just doesn't go right! Keep smiling :) xx

You trained 2 weeks ago and you're worrying about it?

Chin up, it takes time to get good at something. If everyone could get good at doing all treatments in 2 weeks we'd all have a very worrying ammount of competition!

Stay calm and keep practicing. You aren't charging people yet so they should be understanding and patient.

Thank you Eyelash Geek, I am just so disheartened :' ( Perhaps in a few days i will start to practise, just feel really put off at the moment....:sad:

I to have had a cry tonight!!! After 13 years doing nails I delt with a client today who has totally knocked me,tell me how to do my job she was very rude.
So chins up hunny for the both of us...
Stick with what you have learnt and when your ready try new things.

Latest posts

Back