Curing shallac Base Coat for more than 10 seconds?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Yadagi

Reaction score
Just finished Shellac on a friend who had Shellac previously applied at a local salon.

She told me that the base coat was cured for 120 secs not 10 secs and seemed surprised that that is what I did.
Can anyone tell me what effect this would have on her service or on her nails please.

Does any other system use a base coat that needs 120 sec cure ,as I am wondering whether the tech is even using the Shellac base coat ?

Last edited:
I don't know about any other brand but on one of her videos, fingernailfixer says that if you cure the Shellac base coat for 120 seconds instead of 10, it could crack and spoil the finish.

I would imagine it would take longer to soak it off too!

Everyone that uses Shellac knows that the base coat is only cured for 10 seconds... hey that's another thing we love about the product!!

Your friend may think she had Shellac, but it may not have been Shellac at all!

I didn't realise that it could cause cracking if left under longer :eek: I paint one hand with Shellac while the other is curing so I always leave it under for longer! Oh! I guess I better stop, mind you I've never had a problem!

I didn't realise that it could cause cracking if left under longer :eek: I paint one hand with Shellac while the other is curing so I always leave it under for longer! Oh! I guess I better stop, mind you I've never had a problem!

Then your not using the CND light? They both have 10 second timers on them ,
There is soooo much info on why it's got to be used as a full system including the light .

Then your not using the CND light? They both have 10 second timers on them ,
There is soooo much info on why it's got to be used as a full system including the light .

I wasn't to begin with and then everyone said how you HAVE to have it, so I got it (and don't see a difference with client's nails) but I don't set it to the 10 seconds. i'll give it a try and see if there's a difference but as I said, I've been having no problems! :hug:

Over exposure potential? Can't see it bt its still there.

Over exposure potential? Can't see it bt its still there.

True, well I guess from now on I'll stop! I must be made of metal cause I do a different colour every week (I get board easily) and my fingers are fine! So far :Scared: hehe

You know I wouldn't worry about me but I can't take a chance with my clients, I know where ur coming from tho huni x

You know I wouldn't worry about me but I can't take a chance with my clients, I know where ur coming from tho huni x

Thanks for understanding and not attacking :lol: but I promise I will be good from now on. I really don't remember in the training her saying it would be a problem though! It was back when it was first launched so maybe it slipped my mind x

Playing devils advocate here...

Maybe the nail tech who let the base coat cure for 10 seconds just forgot to change the timer over and was busy prepping the other hand and didn't realise?

She told me that she always does it for 120 secs and further more she removes her Shellac by soaking her nails in and acetone filled bowl.

oof, that's not good, and if she were signed up to the CND salon finder she would need to sign the bit that says that you won't soak your client's hands in acetone!

Np I try hard to not loose sight of that I'm on here to give and receive good advice and support not bitch x pm me where in Herts u are need shellacing myself! X

Thats what I thought Lynne, and when I told her that soaking in acetone was not good for the nails she said it was the same thing as putting the acetone on pads and wrapping them ? I must admit that I soaked the pads and some acetone did go on her skin but it quickly dried off, whereas leaving the fingers in the liquid for 10 mins is not the same thing.
Her nails where splitting and flaking and she did say they are normally in good condition, but have got worse lately .

I hope she comes back to me so that I can try and get them back in good condition again. She was also not advised to use solar oil at home either !!

She told me that she always does it for 120 secs and further more she removes her Shellac by soaking her nails in and acetone filled bowl.

Ah OK!!

I went to the local gym to have my own hands Shellac'd as I couldn't be bothered to do my own, I told the lady I needed mine removed, but at last minute I took my own off using Magis, but when I got to the salon she had a bowl and acetone ready, so I think it's far more common that we think.

That coupled with salons doing absolutely zero prep work, just a file followed by the Shellac application...

I wasn't to begin with and then everyone said how you HAVE to have it, so I got it (and don't see a difference with client's nails) but I don't set it to the 10 seconds. i'll give it a try and see if there's a difference but as I said, I've been having no problems! :hug:

Can I ask why u cure the base coat longer? Just curious. X

Shellac is a unique and a few of the unique qualities about it is that:

- shellac contains quick release polymers which allows removal time to be just 10mins. If you cure the base coat for more than 10 secs then you are overcuring which could result in the shellac taking longer to soak off. Not only that but you are also wasting precious time by working on something which is not needed.

- shellac is designed to be wrapped off. This is to minimise the exposure to acetone as much as possible which can cause drying with frequent use. Wrapping off means that we can target the acetone only where is needed which is important for clients who come back every 14 days for removal.

Anyone who is curing the base coat for 2 mins, not doing a PEP before applying shellac and soaking shellac off in a bowl is not carrying out Cnd's instructions and is not using shellac correctly.

Sent from my HTC Sensation using SalonGeek

Ah OK!!

I went to the local gym to have my own hands Shellac'd as I couldn't be bothered to do my own, I told the lady I needed mine removed, but at last minute I took my own off using Magis, but when I got to the salon she had a bowl and acetone ready, so I think it's far more common that we think.

That coupled with salons doing absolutely zero prep work, just a file followed by the Shellac application...

Unfortunately there are allot of very ignorant, uneducated, uncaring, cheapskate cowboys (who call themselves nail technicians) around.....

I have ceased (after 27 years) to let it bother me as it makes ME stand out a Mile .... Ten miles! :D. And charge allot more.

Thanks you Flower and Geeg,

Geeg That is what I thought as well, I am not going to let it bother me , as all she has to do is Google the procedure for Shellac and she will realise how this "tech" she has been going to for ages has been dong it wrong.
As it happened the Shellac soaked off ok, but I am sure she thought I was telling her porki pies as she looked at me funny and probably thought I don't know what I am talking about as I am new to the business.

I can't wait for the salon accreditation to start rolling out.

Latest posts

Back