Custom nail "paperweight" thingys

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
You make them with clear resin and a dome mould. It's extremely stinky work, my whole house smells like a chemical plant lol xx

Hey Twinners,
Did you have to do anything to or seal the business card before putting in to the resin ...
(I know I have to set the resin in the mould before putting card into then card then add more resin then add glitter then more resin ... )
Xxxx

Hiya,

With Hazeleyes, I laminated the card first. Im making 2 today for friends and as I have no sleeves left, I'm trialling it just with the paper. Top tips...allow the first layer to turn to jelly, make up your second layer and dip your logo, card or whatever you're embedding into it and lay it on the jelly layer. I leave that for 10 to also start to set, then add your glitter layer. That way you won't get any seepage of glitter and air bubbles to a minimum.

I will happily help and encourage anyone that wants to make their own. It's not a fun job and for goodness sake wear gloves as I've wrecked my new nails :( also make sure you have super duper ventilation, the fumes are horrible!

Jo xx

Hiya,

With Hazeleyes, I laminated the card first. Im making 2 today for friends and as I have no sleeves left, I'm trialling it just with the paper. Top tips...allow the first layer to turn to jelly, make up your second layer and dip your logo, card or whatever you're embedding into it and lay it on the jelly layer. I leave that for 10 to also start to set, then add your glitter layer. That way you won't get any seepage of glitter and air bubbles to a minimum.

I will happily help and encourage anyone that wants to make their own. It's not a fun job and for goodness sake wear gloves as I've wrecked my new nails :( also make sure you have super duper ventilation, the fumes are horrible!

Jo xx

Hi twinners,

Sorry If I have missed it, but can you tell me where you got the bits and bobs from to do it? I'm sure it's in here some where but I'm missing it!!!! Xx

Would love details of kit too please x

You'll need a dome mould too xx

Can I ask how long thesmells takes to go away and with the 1kg kit how many domes do you think you can make roughly ??

I'd say 6 domes per kit. So with kit plus extra dome mould, you're looking at a cost price of £4.66 each (plus glitters/pigments/latex gloves/printer ink etc). As for the smell...I made them in the garage attached to the house, door and window open. Not only has it permeated even to the upstairs, but you can smell it out on the drive lol :/ I've had windows open for 5 hours, but it still stinks xx

Thank you ladies!!!

O no it really is smelly then!! I think I'm going to have to give it a go!! Xx

Becki this is really good :), how have you been making them? xx

Ah thank you. I bought a casting resin kit from amazon. Made it in 2 halves let the first half go like jelly. Popped in what I wanted to encapsulate and mixed glitter with the 2nd half and poured it in. Covered it and let it set for 24hrs. I think Twinners has a better description earlier in this thread xx

Ah thank you. I bought a casting resin kit from amazon. Made it in 2 halves let the first half go like jelly. Popped in what I wanted to encapsulate and mixed glitter with the 2nd half and poured it in. Covered it and let it set for 24hrs. I think Twinners has a better description earlier in this thread xx
Thank you so much hun, It's actually a friend of mine on Facebook who owns "The Nail Dome" page... with the patent pending, although I don't know if she's patenting the actual dome, the process or the name... I should really ask her lol.. I would love to try this because that way I can put in the things that I want. I have found an an awesome site for fake flowers, and also Angelina fibres etc, so I am gonna try them and see what they look like. Will post pics when they're done and if anyone wants the links then just shout :)

Thank you so much hun, It's actually a friend of mine on Facebook who owns "The Nail Dome" page... with the patent pending, although I don't know if she's patenting the actual dome, the process or the name... I should really ask her lol.. I would love to try this because that way I can put in the things that I want. I have found an an awesome site for fake flowers, and also Angelina fibres etc, so I am gonna try them and see what they look like. Will post pics when they're done and if anyone wants the links then just shout :)

Doubt you can't patent the process a paperweight is a paperweight she's probably patenting the name!

It has to be doesn't it :)

This might be a silly question but are the proper ball shaped of flat on one side????

If ball shaped did you need 2 moulds ?????

Don't panic, they're flat lol xx

I've just ordered a kit because I'm intrigued! I've bought the dome mould-
So do I pour the resin in the almost fill the mould the let it set before adding the card and glitter etc then more resin it do you have to do the main part of the some in smaller stages too even if that's all clear? I don't want to waste my kit on making mistakes!
I'm gonna make some cat ones for my mam!

It is brilliant. You wouldnt notice the bubble. Well done x

Sent from my GT-I9300 using SalonGeek mobile app

Here's yours! I put crystals on it...hope that's ok? Xx ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1391293269.872688.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back