cutting out well?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nikkirocco

Reaction score
I would like to know if anybody cuts the well area out of tips and places them directly on the smile line?
I watched a nsi dvd and they show this with natural tips so there is no blending neaded. It looks really easy but i wondered if anyone does this? This would obviously save time and effort but will it make a difference to the strength of the nails ( gel overlays) ?

I cut out the well area on natural tips it saves a lot of time.Just make sure you built the stress area with gel.

I have started to do this on my own nails and it seems ok you just have to make sure you place then exactly right.

Yep, I use NSI and do this too.

I have done this and as long as you build up your stress areas and make sure nails are strong it will make no difference.

I Prefer to blend the well , i do cut it out and only leave a slither , but this i blend ,
i did this once using natural tips and posted pictures on here , to show the difference , and the blended one seemed to do it for most peeps

I Prefer to blend the well , i do cut it out and only leave a slither , but this i blend ,
i did this once using natural tips and posted pictures on here , to show the difference , and the blended one seemed to do it for most peeps
I do that too... cut the well out (pre-tailor) to leave a slither of tip, apply and then blend.

A blended tip will provide a stronger enhancement as the tip is just a canvas for the product to sit on, by blending the tip you're leaving more room for product and product that is applied properly (apex placement etc) is way stronger than a tip.

I spoke to NSI about this a while ago and they say even though it's shown on the DVD they dont recommend that you do it this way anymore. Not sure why, just what I was told. I expect is because when you do their courses, you are taught to blend and not cut out the wells.

Rachel

I use my file to remove the well, its really easy to do. Is this classed as blending?
I only use the term blending when thinning the surface of the tip.........?

I use my file to remove the well, its really easy to do. Is this classed as blending?
Nope, that would be classed as pre-tailoring too :green:

Pre-tailoring applies to both removing the well with your 180/240 grit aswell as removing the well with curved scissors, pre-tailoring also applies to changing the sides/shape of the tips and/or forms before applying.

Cheers Sandi! Now I know

some tips you blend, some tips you don't, some tips you cut out the free edge, some tips you don't. It really depends on what you "prescribe" for you client as a professional, although i'm sure many that have trouble blending will be thanking god for no blend tips.
All techs should know how to blend, after all, it is a very basic (and early step) in the process of doing nails.
If one of my students had trouble blending, i would never let them progress to acrylic application until they knew how to blend. It is beyond me how "apparently" qualified techs have probs with blending, when they happily apply over a crap foundation...... (crap prep, crap foundation= crap nails) this doesn't make sense to me and shoots holes in the validity of their training.
A student should not be allowed to progress from one step to the next until they are proficient in each.

Latest posts

Back