Damage caused by NSS

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Exquisite Touch

Reaction score
Hi all

I would like to ask some advice. I have a client who has been coming to me for around 13 months, over xmas her husband was made redundant and she informed me that she had to get her priority's in order and her husband had said she needed to stop for a while but she would be back. I had no problem with this as it has happened to a lot but one by one they have all come back.

Anyway she decided to take the cheap option and go and have a set applied by a Non standard salon. She knows my feelings about it and rang and said "your going to shout at me" I knew straight away what she was going to say.

She came in this afternoon and i couldnt believe what I saw, I have recommended she go and see her Gp. I have taken pictures to ask what you think it may be.
She said that they drilled right down where her lunula is and when she took the nail off as her thumb was throbbing within an hour this tumour looking thing appeared, it was green and puss was coming out so she soaked it hourly in salt water and it is apparently 100 times better than two days ago.
I haven't ever seen anything like it and stayed well clear of that nail the others were ok so enhanced the others and told her to see her Gp.

Can anyone shed any light on what this maybe.

image can be seen in my album http://www.salongeek.com/members/exquisite+touch-albums-damage++nns.html
Thanks
Debbie x

when she took the nail off as her thumb was throbbing within an hour this tumour looking thing appeared,

and how did she do this?

It looks a right mess! I hope you did shout at her!

She soaked it off she sent her husband to the chemist to get some acetone, I did tell her buy cheap pay twice. She kept apologising to me but to be honest, I was in shock as ive never seen anything like it before, It was a rock hard lump. she said it was the twice the size two days before.

Hi, sorry i am a trainee wad just reading and so the picture aswell. so what is the actual cause of this?

god that is awful! she'll be lucky if they have'nt damaged her matrix! take it the had drilled right through her nail and infection set in yuk! I still have no idea how these places can stay open legally when they cause some much damage! xx

thats what i thought damage to her matrix, it does seem that they have drilled straight through she said she could see through the acrylic her lunula was going black.

The infection would have been made sooo much worse by having product on top and probably no proper sanation either!
Your client will be lucky if she escapes without permanent damage, worse case senario the nail may never grow again :eek: surely there must be something that can be done about this salon? xx

Oh my gosh I think I felt my dinner rising... :X

Maybe they tore a hole in her nail with dirty tools, and then slapped on product on top of it. The combination of the dirty tool, moisture (from the wound), and product trapping everything in made it way worse?

My question is, wasn't she in horrible pain during the process?

As gross as this is going to sound I was a nail biter up untill last year when I trained with CND and the training shamed me enough to stop. But untill that point I actually bit my nails into this condition a couple of times. Once I shredded my nail layers so thin I went to put my bra on one day and caught my thumb in the exact same position :cry: and that happened. Its like the nail bed is coming through from underneath the nail and infection can easily set in

I saw my gp (best thing she can do) and he gave me some cream I believe. But apart from that germoline, plasters and keeping it clean. It will hopefully grow back mine did, but id expect the nail to grow back weak in that area the next time round. Poor gal i know that must of smart a bit! But hopefully she has learnt her lesson once and for all!

I haven't seen any that bad but I do see the rings of fire all time!!!

I don't think its our job to shout at anyone....I am sure she felt bad enough without being "told off"....:lol:

It looks terrible and i hope there is no permanent damage to her nail....we wont know until months down the line when it starts to grow back...all she can do really is keep it clean and short....and wait.

If I was her I would be sending a picture of this damage and a letter to health and safety inspectors at her Local District Council.

This looks like the nail has been filed away. The nail is so soft here that just a second too long with a drill will do it!!

This wouldn't even need a dirty drill bit. It's an area exposed even with an overlay on.

As Bagpuss says, I do think it worth telling the local EHD. They probably won't do anything but might of they receive a few complaints.

One of the reasons why an e-file should never be used on the nail plate!

From what I can see from the picture it appears that the nail plate has been totally removed in two areas and the nail bed is visible. This must be extrememly painful and there is the very real risk of infection. She needs to seek medical help ASAP.

im abit confused :confused:
did they do this damage with a drill?
if so did it not hurt the client at the time and if so why did she still let them carry on?
or was the nail ok at the time of the enhancements and this happened after?
i hope you dont think im being rude im just not sure how it got like this.x

Dont think your being rude at all tracey. As far as Im aware they really roughed up her nail and burnt her with drill. She snatched her hand away and she said it looked to her fine, they applied the product but it looked like her lunula was going black,after a couple of days she soaked off her thumb as it was hurting her she couldnt bear anything or anyone to touch it. She said it has horrendous soaking it off but she needed some relief.
About a hour or so after that appeared but it was soft and goey (her words) and pussy so she had been soakin it in salt water.

From what i can gather the pain was not just on her nail it radiated down past her matrix. but its getting better every day.

I cant answer why did she let them carry on as that was her sole decision I can only advise her on the dangers of MMA. but it is advice. It is up to the client if she wishes to listen to that advice.

Hi I hope she feels better soon, I know what you mean about advising clients I tell them till I am blue in the face, I have had a friend of a friend ask about doing her nails as she went to the local salon and they drilled nearly all her natural nail away and where sore and throbbing for 2 days,she said her boyfriend payed for them and as I was away she had no chioce, she wants me to do an infill on them but I am really not sure wether to do them as if there is any damage I don't want to be involved in them iygwim, I have told her I will have a look at them and see what I think because if it is MMA then I dont want the hassle, but from what I have heard about the salon it sounds like it is, no form of sanitization , no labels on items ect ect could go on and on but ykwim lol. :)

Dont think your being rude at all tracey. As far as Im aware they really roughed up her nail and burnt her with drill. She snatched her hand away and she said it looked to her fine, they applied the product but it looked like her lunula was going black,after a couple of days she soaked off her thumb as it was hurting her she couldnt bear anything or anyone to touch it. She said it has horrendous soaking it off but she needed some relief.
About a hour or so after that appeared but it was soft and goey (her words) and pussy so she had been soakin it in salt water.

From what i can gather the pain was not just on her nail it radiated down past her matrix. but its getting better every day.

I cant answer why did she let them carry on as that was her sole decision I can only advise her on the dangers of MMA. but it is advice. It is up to the client if she wishes to listen to that advice.
argh,thanks for the info
how sad that she had to experience this,having said that i bet she will trust your advice from now on and spread the word so atleast some good can come of this.
i hope her nail heals soon.
im no expert but if your client decided to take things further i think the fact she removed the nail herself would go against her even if she did use the correct method as the salon could argue that she must of damaged it herself when she removed it.
im sure you've got a client for life now.x

Last edited:
She is a lovely lady, I was upset to see her nails in this condition.
But with a little love and care i'm sure we can nuture her nails into better condition. I wanted to show other tech's what sort of damage can happen as I was flabbergasted to see her nails in such poor condition. In a short space of time.
I also asked her if she didn't mind me posting the condition of her nail as it was her nails I would be showing to everyone. She was happy for this to go ahead to help to educate others.
Thanks for all your comments she is actually coming back into the salon tomorrow and ill pass on your regards for her nails to get well soon. We are keeping an eye on it and taking regular pictures so ill update you with her progress.
Debbie x

She is a lovely lady, I was upset to see her nails in this condition.
But with a little love and care i'm sure we can nuture her nails into better condition. I wanted to show other tech's what sort of damage can happen as I was flabbergasted to see her nails in such poor condition. In a short space of time.
I also asked her if she didn't mind me posting the condition of her nail as it was her nails I would be showing to everyone. She was happy for this to go ahead to help to educate others.
Thanks for all your comments she is actually coming back into the salon tomorrow and ill pass on your regards for her nails to get well soon. We are keeping an eye on it and taking regular pictures so ill update you with her progress.
Debbie x
thankyou for sharing,i am interested as im sure other geeks are in what happens to her nail.this is a great learning site for many techs.xx

Sorry if I am been a bit thick, but the salon the lady visited is it the particular chain think i know the answer but can't really describe as my husband says i can't ! It has a really bad reputation in our area but people go because its cheap.

Latest posts

Back