Deposits and missed appointment charges?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scottydolly

Reaction score
well this stems from saturday when i had a major colour correction booked in. . someone going from dyed black hair hoping to go blonde, having had a consultation and all the tests and advice and course of action agreed upon we made the appointment which took up a good lot of my day. . .then on saturday she didnt appear no phone call no nothing. . . so the salon time and money was wasted away, when at least 3-4 other appointments could have been squeezed in. . so my question is, someone said she shud be charged a surcharge next time she comes in, which i dont agree with because i think people jus wudnt come back to pay it and wud shift salon, but in future for appointments of this size, and also like chemical str8enin i think we shud start taking deposits which wud be lost if they did not appear for appointments. . what do ya all think. . is this reasonable? x

I do not charge for missed appointments as I, like you, think the client would prob not come back. However, I do take a deposit for "long" appointments, even if it is only £10. And yes, some people pay a deposit and still not turn up! It they pay a deposit but cannot come, as long as they let me know so I can book other clients in, I willingly reschedule their time.

I definately think yes to this, I would have to pay a deposit for my nail appointments, so why not for hair ones also especially when its such a long appointment time i.e colours/perms etc.

thank god some sense, other stylists said it was a bad idea but i am defo gonna tell my boss cos currently all we take deposits for are hair extensions. . right thats it next week im gonna tell her i think we shud and hope she agrees haha thanks peoples xx

Totally agree!! We have the same nightmare problem time after time!! And like you, dont dare charge a fee for no shows / late etc...

I think the deposit is totally reasonable! I try and pup myself in the clients position . . .

'' if i missed an appointment and i was charged, i probably would be offended and would not feel comfortable going back, although the right thing to do would be to pay it and apologise''

Its definately a tricky situation! I have salon iris in my salon, and it warns you of someones track record if its not so good, i have not had it long so im not sure how im going to use the information it collects but ill keep you posted!

Caf xxxxxxxx

How about taking card details for treatments that are over 1hr long. Also, for serial no shows or cancellers, you could say that you will only see them as walk ins or if they book on the day. That way, they take the chance of not being able to get in. xxx

Yeah i think that sounds like a great compromise! So that way, there is no fear of them not showing, and your not having to charge them for no shows! xx

For general appointments, I don't agree with taking deposits. However, for appointments which are taking half or a full day, I sure would at least take credit card details and advise that there will be a charge for late cancellations/no shows.

i take deposits at busy times like xmas/newyear,ladies day and so on of £5.oo this non-refundable with less than 24hours notice....i think this is fair as its our busiest times and the likelyhood is you have turned clients away for being booked up.although i always take a contact no incase a slot becomes free...As for no shows if its a continual thing then i charge a £5.oo fee which they pay on there return back to salon,i actually have sign on my wall that politelly asks clients to be considerate to me and to other clients and call to cancel so waiting clients can be allocated an appoinment.this has worked well for me with no awkwardness,and it tends to only happen the once...the clients that continually let me down i would rather they go elsewhere especially if i have to turn a loyal regular client away.hope this helps xx

Latest posts

Back