Dermalogica Ebay 'Shops'?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TwinkleTips69

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I invested in stocking dermalogica at my salon earlier this year, but I have to say i aint really gettin anywhere with retailing.

People love the facials, but when it comes to buying, they dnt want to knw, and when I ask how theyre skin is at their next appoinment - its great coz they got the product I recommended off ebay, sometimes in the professional size!

My friend who has an ebay shop selling clothes and jewellery, said if u cant beat them join them (although not in those exact words!).

I dnt understand as dermalogica say they are trying to close ebay sellers accounts, but there is LOADS of shops selling pro products, and endless listings of everything from samples to travel kits even half used bottles of cleansers!

Do dermalogica actually have the abiltiy to do that?

I dont knw. Its very tempting as my stock is just sat there getting closer to the sell by date.

Any opinions/advice welcomed!!

i think that with regards to pro cosmetics its safer to buy from the actuall wholesaler as you never really know what your getting when it comes from ebay. Especially when it comes to people selling half bottles and used bottles, you dont know how long they have been open for and what has been done to the actual product itself.
I think dermalogica would probably be able to control what sells on ebay but it might take a while, after all it is supposed to be for professional use. But then in the same breath acrylic l+p products are on ebay in there thousands so its up to the company to regulate it.
I know its not beauty products but my mother in law is a councillor for the cambridge diet and it is strictly forb iden to be sold on ebay and ebay are aware of that so monitor i closely.
hth x

Have you raised it with your area manager? Point out your customers aren't buying from you but on eBay and your stock is about to go out of date. From memory talking to another Dermalogica rep they will replace it for you but its definately worth asking.

I have to say if I ever decide to do skincare I would love to use Dermalogica but this is the one issue that really puts me off them. To regain any standing with the industry they really need to do something abou this and very visibly too. Dermalogica is a premium brand and all they are doing is allowing it to be damaged and undermined.

Mat

Should have known better, but thought Id put a little innocent bottle of skin smoothing cream on ebay - and today received a message about breach of dermalogica trading.

Oh dear.

Well, I dnt knw how my clients get hold of it then. I'm baffled.

Hi Hun,
Just read your thread, and decided to test it before my reply.
I signed into Ebay put in the word Dermalogica and it came up with 934 matches, a lot is from Canada and USA.
But I clicked on some products in UK.
So I would suggest you speak with your rep or main supplier. Something is not right.
Best of luck, I will follow this thread to see the outcome.
Lotsa luv x :hug:

I do understand that when buying from ebay you never know what you are going to get. I have never been bitten by anything that I have purhcased from ebay, but there is always a first time.

I would love to use Dermalogica in my facials but because of their very high start up costs, I cannot and from this angle I understand why people want to buy from ebay, but that doesn't make it right.

I think if Dermalogica brought down their start up costs to a more reasonable price, then maybe the buying of professional products by professionals from ebay would be lessened.

even half used bottles of cleansers!

Ewww my goodness where could they have been?? it could be anything!!:eek:

A lot of customers don't buy from eBay but Dermalogica - Jersey Beauty Company a (i assume) authorised account holder, no VAT and they don't charge delivery so are straight away 17.5% cheaper!

Dermalogica products contain active ingredients and do have a shelf life...the products can be affected by temperature and light and stuff...when buying from ebay you dont know how old the stock is..nor how it has been stored...in my opinion buying from ebay whether it is skin products or nail products are you guaranteed that the products are reliable..buying from the reputable companies/ manufacturers is always going to be a wee bit more expensive...but worth it ...especially for piece of mind

LindaC

Hi

I am a Dermalogica account holder. I do not sell on the internet ever (and I never would on eBay.)

Can I just point out that it is not JUST Dermalogica who suffer with this kind of problem - most brands do. Search, creative, OPI, Elemis, Decleor, guinot...need I carry on! Most brands have a dedicated team who try and catch salons who are breaking their contracts buy selling on eBay.

However eBay accounts are not neccessarily linked to the salon who is supplying the products, could be a friends account or a family member. Obviously the companies need hard proof/evidence that it is the salon who do it.

The only way (as a stockist) that we can help stop this problem is by, not selling on eBay ourselves, educating our clients that these products could be tampered with, out of date etc.

As for the Jesery company or any such company that sell VAT free, you can be caught out by the postman who can charge on the doorstep or at the post office for the VAT.

HTH

Becki xxx

I sell Decleor products & although I'm aware you can buy them on ebay it doesn't seem to affect my sales. There are many things you can't get with e-bay, such as advice on what's best to use, advice on how to use it & the chance to sample the products. Next time a client says they bought it on e-bay just advise them to be careful when buying offline re quality control, how it's been stored, for how long etc, i.e. try to put them off it.

Some people make a living from getting free samples from salons and companies and then selling them on eBay! I know because its happened to us. Very dissappointing when you give out samples in good faith and they end up on eBay. I always report them to eBay and make sure they are removed immediately. :rolleyes:

Latest posts

Back