Dermalogica retailers, are you losing sales to web based sites????

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Beauty flash are linked directly to a salon, I have brought them up with my rep repetedly. They are technically not doing anything wrong...unless you count devaluing the brand!

I get so frustrated with Dermalogica, they are such a good company to be with apart from the web selling thing.

I personally haven't lost many to online by offering different promos. At the moment its buy two products get a free facial. Just adds interest.

TBH there isn't much we can do except leave Dermalogica, unfortunatly its like it or lump it. Dermalogica are making far too much money from these web sellers because they sell huge volumes so why would they stop?

I am NOT saying its right btw!

Becki xxx

I was told this to, also that Beauty Flash is basically their number one account which orders the highest amount of stock out of all their salons. I would say that 99.9% off the online sellers in the UK are actually salons.

I have tried to sell some old stock on ebay before (not out of date just discontinued, etc) and I worked out if I price matched the ebay sellers then I would actually get less than what I paid for the product once id deducted all the fees !! So it would actually be cheaper to send it back to dermalogica minus the charge & postage :eek:

Although the retail online hasn't knowingley effected me I think that if it suddenly stopped overnight my sales would probably go through the roof if everyone had to buy from the salon instead !

I also think part of the reason some dermalogica salons sell online at cheap prices is to remain on the dermalogica website and get rep support. You only stay on their website if you order over £300 worth of product every month and after your first year you only have a scheduled rep visit if you order over £600 worth of product every month !!!

It is worth bearing mind that Dermalogica is everywhere because it is so popular, Decleor & Clarins are also widely available on the internet the more popular a brand the more people cash in.

I also think part of the reason some dermalogica salons sell online at cheap prices is to remain on the dermalogica website and get rep support. You only stay on their website if you order over £300 worth of product every month and after your first year you only have a scheduled rep visit if you order over £600 worth of product every month !!!

That is awefull! Here, in Ontario anyway, that isn't the case with them. We've had our account for 3yrs and have always had a rep come every month regardles of our sales. That is really too bad that the level of commitment on their part is so different!

after your first year you only have a scheduled rep visit if you order over £600 worth of product every month !!!

That is dreadful service! I get a regular scheduled rep visit from my Decleor rep & Jessica rep and don't sell that volume of product!

That is awefull! Here, in Ontario anyway, that isn't the case with them. We've had our account for 3yrs and have always had a rep come every month regardles of our sales. That is really too bad that the level of commitment on their part is so different!

That is dreadful service! I get a regular scheduled rep visit from my Decleor rep & Jessica rep and don't sell that volume of product!

I know its bad, they don't even tell you this when you first open an account. In all honesty Im not that bothered as I find I end up spending to much money when the rep does come BUT I would like to have the choice of the rep coming or not. Dermalogica do support their salons well with promotions, free gifts, training etc but I do feel the smaller salons that don't order over £600 are the ones that need the support if anything !

Apparently they are looking at restructuring the rep support but I think because they have so many salons in the reps areas they just can't visit all of them, obviously more reps needed !

There are a few negative aspects with stocking Dermalogica but I feel the positives (in my case) outweigh the negatives. My only main issue would be being removed off their website as I do get a lot of clientele due to the listing on their if that was removed then that would affect my new business.

I know its bad, they don't even tell you this when you first open an account. In all honesty Im not that bothered as I find I end up spending to much money when the rep does come BUT I would like to have the choice of the rep coming or not. Dermalogica do support their salons well with promotions, free gifts, training etc but I do feel the smaller salons that don't order over £600 are the ones that need the support if anything !

Apparently they are looking at restructuring the rep support but I think because they have so many salons in the reps areas they just can't visit all of them, obviously more reps needed !

There are a few negative aspects with stocking Dermalogica but I feel the positives (in my case) outweigh the negatives. My only main issue would be being removed off their website as I do get a lot of clientele due to the listing on their if that was removed then that would affect my new business.

i completly agree with you. They dont tell you to start with about the £600 (excluding VAT!) When I mentioned to my rep about that limit she made me feel like I should be selling at least that easily...yes some months fine, others no way!

Hi charles

Just to fill you in, the website in Jersey you are talking about is a Dermalogica recommended dealer. I found this out through Dermalogica themselves because I was putting together a website and asked their web team to direct me to some sites that adhere to their terms and conditions (regarding advertising their product on the net) and this was one of the first dealers they told me about.

Hope you find this helpful

Kirsty

:)

I have just had my Dermalogica training at college and the lady told us they have a dedicated section dealing with online sales and closing them down. They said that over the next few months they are going to concentrate on this as they would want to keep Dermalogica as a professional only product.

I agree it should not be sold on the internet, the products are designed to be specially recommended by a therapist/skin consultant.

It is unfortunate that Dermalogica wont sell to qualified mobile therapists as this is what I would love to use once I have qualified.

that is a brilliant idea i am just starting out and have been a bit worried about internet sales

I have just had my Dermalogica training at college and the lady told us they have a dedicated section dealing with online sales and closing them down. They said that over the next few months they are going to concentrate on this as they would want to keep Dermalogica as a professional only product.

I was told this same thing 2 years ago when I did my training - I think its a big fat lie coz its still going on:mad:

I agree it should not be sold on the internet, the products are designed to be specially recommended by a therapist/skin consultant.

It is unfortunate that Dermalogica wont sell to qualified mobile therapists as this is what I would love to use once I have qualified.

I was told this same thing 2 years ago when I did my training - I think its a big fat lie coz its still going on:mad:
They've been spouting that same line all oer the world ever since the internet became popular.

What they mean to say is "they have a dedicated section dealing with online sales closing down sites by people who aren't Dermalogica approved therapists".

Its just that they can't find any ... because all the sites are Dermalogica therapists!

I just wanted to say also, its not just Dermalogica with this problem, its all major skin brands. Type any of them into a well known trading site!

Its all too easy to blame the companies (and yes I do!) but what about these people who are selling the products? They know they shouldn't do it, they know they are harming the brand but they still do it?! Crazy!

Unfortunatly with every plus there seems to be a minus, the internet is the perfect example of that. Who hasn't searched for something on the internet because they think they can find it cheaper than in store?

I do believe that Dermalogica have a team dedicated to catching people who sell the brand ''illegally'' but omg there must be so many of them out there. Also IMHO there must be some therpaists passing/selling product onto these people selling - surely?

How difficult is it to link someone for example on eBay to a salon? If they have set up an account knowing they shouldn't sell, for example Dermalogica online, they are gonna cover their tracks - right?

Trust me I am the first person to complain about online sales - when they are cheaper - but we have to take it as a challenge. Educate our clients about the positive things about buying from a salon. Knowledge, the fact that we can see, touch their skin. Introduce a loyalty scheme as Bombini said.

I hope I havent rambled too much
Becki xxx

It is a bit of a tricky one. Salons need a skin care brand to sell and it has to be exclusive - no one can compete fairly with Boots for example neither can you expect to compete with the online price of Dermalogica. However Dermalogica's very proactive mainstream advertising in the glossy's most definately increases your salons sales, even if half of your customers choose to buy online, you are still probably going to get a few that will buy the brand from you regardless of how good your treatment and selling techniques have been.

On the flip side - during a treatment you have a good amount of time to 'talk' about whatever products your are trying to eventually sell the client. Are your sales techniques, backed up with a good professional EXCLUSIVE product that customers cant buy elsewhere going to make your more money than relying on the reputation of Dermalogica alone?

They will never stop selling Dermalogica being sold online because as fozzyo says its Dermalogica account holders that are doing it ! The very fact they admit that beautyflash in jersey is their biggest account holder says it all, if they close everyone elses account they would have to shut them down to.

I do think Dermalogica has pretty much created the problem themselves by having their £300 & £600 sales levels. Before I became a stockist I met another salon owner fairly local to me that almost begged me to order via her and be a 'secondary' account as that would see her orders go through the roof no stockist should feel they 'have' to order a certain amount.

For the first time ever today I had a internet haggler ! A new client came in to buy some pre cleanse which is priced at £26.50 and then proceeded to tell me it was only £15 on the internet, I said well Im not sure how they can offer it that price, are you sure its the right product, etc, etc yes she was definetely sure so I showed her the official price list and basically told her it was full price from me, she purchased it :) There is no way I am price matching internet !!

Hello from America!

I have been VERY upset about dermalogica's latest attempt at World domination through their Mass-Marketing-Sell-Out-a-Thon and have made the difficult decision to switch lines.

I was shocked to read of others in the UK who were being similarly affected.

To be frank, I feel used. (and you were used, too). They launched their line with the highest standards, and now they are no longer the company they used to be. It is truly a shame.

Of course they aren't going to do anything about this ... they are thrilled that we are still working hard to promote their brand and they don't care if these hard-won clients stay loyal to us. No, as long as the clients we educate about their brand BUY it, dermalogica no longer cares from where.

I feel personally insulted. I believed in Jane and her mission and now I feel my mentor has fallen from grace - hard!

It's a sad day, but I can no longer support and promote a brand and a company that I no longer believe in. I advise you to do the same. They have created the cancer that will destroy them from the inside out. Speak with your actions - stop selling dermalogica. Will it close them down? Heck no. You see, skin care product lines don't NEED a therapist to sell successfully. Thousands of them do just fine without us. Dermalogica was supposed to be different. But when it's on the same aisle as Elizabeth Arden and being sold by non-licensed sales clerks, please tell me, what are the "dermalogica differences" now???

I know that it is a big problem with everyone everywhere. I know more and more salons are changing to product lines that are not being sold on the net. If you arn't getting a good deal, then find out what else is on offer.
Just a little story though, where I am working at the moment a person came into the salon with a product they had bought over the net (supposed to be reputable net site) and compared it to what we had in our freshly opened product (the real Iam) and it wasn't the same product. Different smell, colour and texture!! It wasn't dermalogica (different brand with same issue) but goodness knows what was in the jar!!!!
Personally I wouldn't be using anything in a salon that wasn't salon exclusive and sticking to their commitment. It may be time to try the new and exciting brands out there...you never know you may get more exciting results for your clients skin!!! :)

hi, everyone my first time to reply have been lurking for ages, i met with a dermalogica rep last week and asked her about internet selling she just dismissed it as no big deal saying that in her oppinion not many people buy online, who is she kidding, shame really as i am impressesed by the product and am seriously considering taking it on in my salon, so worried about spending 3,000 and being left with all that stock.:confused:

i have used dermalogica for years and swear by it , i am just setting up on my own and will be using it ( very nervous about setting up), however i am going to introduce some kind of loyalty scheme linking products with treatments not sure how but i want to keep my clients 1 coming back for facials and 2 coming to me for advice cos i know it works xxx wish me luck xxxx

For my birthday in November I paid for a dermalogica facial which included mapping my face. I bought 1 product and got the other 2 that I wanted for Christmas. I have pretty much run out of the cleanser I bought at the beginning of November and actually by accident came across the advert at the top of this page selling cheapest price dermalogica products.
I would love to support my local salon with all that is going on in the world at the moment but we are all affected by the recession not just businesses. So as a consumer we are entitled to find the cheapest price.
If my local salon sold at the same price as the internet then yes I would buy from my salon.
Sorry to rant. Just don’t like generalisation

For my birthday in November I paid for a dermalogica facial which included mapping my face. I bought 1 product and got the other 2 that I wanted for Christmas. I have pretty much run out of the cleanser I bought at the beginning of November and actually by accident came across the advert at the top of this page selling cheapest price dermalogica products.
I would love to support my local salon with all that is going on in the world at the moment but we are all affected by the recession not just businesses. So as a consumer we are entitled to find the cheapest price.
If my local salon sold at the same price as the internet then yes I would buy from my salon.
Sorry to rant. Just don’t like generalisation

the whole point of this thread is that we cant as a salon sell the internet prices! Most are cheaper than our trade prices! Please read the thread properly!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back