DHA-Free Spray Tan Solutions

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SunSpray

Reaction score
I'm thinking about stocking some DHA-free spray tan solutions and wondered if anyone's got any particular brand preferences. I've just received a sample from Aviva Labs and have requested samples from Siennasol and Solspa too. From what I can see, Tantrick and Fake Bake don't offer DHA-free solutions. Would I be wasting my money, or are there people out there who'd choose DHA-free if they were a bit scared of "the real thing"? x

I'm thinking about stocking some DHA-free spray tan solutions and wondered if anyone's got any particular brand preferences. I've just received a sample from Aviva Labs and have requested samples from Siennasol and Solspa too. From what I can see, Tantrick and Fake Bake don't offer DHA-free solutions. Would I be wasting my money, or are there people out there who'd choose DHA-free if they were a bit scared of "the real thing"? x

Fantasy Tan used to do one, its got EHA in instead but takes longer to develop. Think Fantasy Tan is now Natura sun.

Kate x

I've never heard of EHA tanning I thought you had to have DHA, please tell us more. :hug:

I've never heard of EHA tanning I thought you had to have DHA, please tell us more. :hug:

Yes please do.I thought everything was dha too.

Yes please do.I thought everything was dha too.

Oh God you want me to use brain cells lol!

Ok this is what I remember, Theres two tanning agents, DHA (no idea the full name) and EHA. Well DHA works within a few hours and tans the upper layers of the skin where as EHA works deeper down and takes longer to work - up to 48 hours.

Fake bake and D&E from Natura Sun (used to be Fantasy Tan) contain Both DHA & EHA, This helps the tan develop a deeper colour, apparently be less orangey, and less likely to be patchy as it wears off. As the upper layers containing the DHA wear off the lower levels where the EHA has worked now show through.

Now apparently if your allergic to DHA you should be ok with EHA (which I think is sugar based, but I am possibly wrong!).

Thats all I remember ever being told, perhaps collin can shed more light lol!

Kate xxx

Great topic!

Please for those that know more about this subject let us know your opinions as with the info that Kate has provided us with would be a great alternative product to offer so am a little surprised that it is not as widely known.

I would be interested to know why it was necessary to have an 'alternative'...we have been using dha solutions in our salon for 6 years, sprayed hundreds of people, thousands of times and have never yet come across anyone who had a reaction to the dha.

EHA as in Erythulose you mean? Many tan solutions contain both......Erythulose takes 48 hours to develop, to combine that with DHA means 3 days before you tan starts to fade off in effect as it takes 2-3 days for the full colour to come out.....

I am presuming EHA is Erythulose here.......???

Seinna X and Sunless Solutions contain both DHA and EHA, however I am yet to meet a client (who isnt another therapist) that asks if my tans have DHA or EHA or both......most clients dont even know what DHA is let alone EHA

Right - if EHA is Erythulose that now makes more sense. I have never heard of it being called EHA before though.

Right - if EHA is Erythulose that now makes more sense. I have never heard of it being called EHA before though.

Im hazzarding a guess there but wat Kate described was all the characteristics of Erythulose.......DHA is also sugar based though I am not quite sure that if you were allergic to DHA that erythulose would be ok though?

Im hazzarding a guess there but wat Kate described was all the characteristics of Erythulose.......DHA is also sugar based though I am not quite sure that if you were allergic to DHA that erythulose would be ok though?

I am googling like mad trying to find the name, but think thats it. I just know them as EHA/DHA.

I was told years ago that people with an allergy to DHA is ok with EHA. But I have always used products with both and never found anyone with an allergy to DHA, but there are clients out there. Whether its worth advertising the fact you have an allergy Free tan just to capture this probably very tiny audience is probably like selling ice to the eskimos.

Ok maybe this may help....

Dihydroxyacetone

It's not unusual to read about the exciting new sunless tanning ingredient Dihydroxyacetone [or DHA]. But DHA is not new, although it's still exciting [to me, anyway].
Dihydroxyacetone works by reacting with the keratin protein in the top [or "dead"] layer of your skin. This is why the results are temporary; this outer layer of skin is continually sloughing off.
The DHA in your sunless tanner was refined from a vegetable source, most likely sugar beets or sugar cane.
Discovered to be a temporary skin coloring agent back in the 1920s, DHA was first sold in an over the counter sunless tanning product in 1960 as Coppertone Quick Tan, also known as QT.
In the 1970s the Food and Drug Administration added DHA to their list of approved cosmetic ingredients.
Then, in the late 1980s, the cosmetic companies found a way to produce better results [browner, less orange] with DHA. The secret: an improved refining process yielded higher quality, more predictable DHA.
Since then, DHA has been further improved, leading to the current explosion of products.

Erythrulose

The situation for erythrulose has changed dramatically since early 1999. It's appearing in more and more sunless tanning products, even drugstore brands such as Neutrogena Sunless Tanning Foam Deep and Extra Deep.
Manufacturers who use erythrulose along with DHA in their sunless tanning products include Clarins, Neutrogena, and Decleor.
What is erythrulose? According to the Pentapharm Ltd web site:
"Erythrulose is a ketose with the chemical property to perform a Maillard reaction with free primary or secondary amino groups of amino acids from keratin. This reaction leads to the formation of brownish colourod [sic] polymers called melanoids. Therefore, erythrulose was developed to work as a novel-skin tanning compound complementary to Dihydroxyacetone."
Those of you who have been studying for the sunless tanning quiz will feel a sense of deja vu because erythrulose does exactly the same thing as DHA or dihydroxyacetone.
Because erythrulose is so similar to DHA in form and function, an urgent question pops immediately to mind: would it be acceptable to make an erythrulose only sunless tanning product for people who are allergic to DHA [and there are lots of them]?
I finally got to test this theory, thanks to Fantasy Tan, who provided me with an erythrulose only formula. I used it for a period of time and learned that erythrulose alone is no picnic. It has to be applied every day, and it never gets terribly dark. But it does work.
The other question is: is erythrulose so dang similar to DHA that people allergic to DHA may have an allergic reaction to it, too? The answer to that seems to be yes, thanks to feedback from visitors to sunless.com. In our vast testing group of five people, one person with a DHA allergy also got a rash from erythrulose.

Info from this website. Sunless Tanning: Facts And Myths - Page Two

Hope that helps

Kate

Also from that website this might be helpful too. Never heard of it until now, sounds interesting though.

Mahakanni

"Faking it without DHA" is the eye-catching headline at Campo Research.
So what product are they pitching?
"Mahakanni STLC is a self-tanning liposome concentrate which is transgenically cloned from the organically grown herb Eclipta alba. It brings about a natural tanning of the skin which is both natural looking and even. The tan also develops more quickly [three hours] and is longer lasting than DHA."
And wow. Look at all this scientific stuff they throw at you:
"When the sun's UV rays strike the skin, DNA welds together to form pyrimidine dimers which are snipped by excision repair enzymes. This repair process triggers melanocytes to synthesise melanin, the pigment that tans the skin naturally. Pyrimidine dimers containing pTpT [dithymidylic acid[1,2], a thymine dinucleotide] segments preferentially accumulate during the repair process."
"The sunless self tan milk contains pTpT, Lawsone and its sclero-derivatives, 2-hydroxy-1, 4-napthoquinone and eumelanin and its sclero-derivatives [a natural skin pigment cloned to the Eclipta alba herb's genes] as natural isolates extracted and reconstituted in Mahakanni STLC."
If I didn't know better, I would think that Campo Research wanted me to believe they are selling pTpT, a non FDA approved drug. But, oddly enough, the only sunless tanner available [Touch of Bali Mahakanni Self Tanner] which contains the wondrous Mahakanni also contains DHA. Why would it need to if Mahakanni is what it is said to be? I'm just going to step over it while holding my nose.
I emailed Campo Research three years ago and asked them to set me straight. They didn't respond. "Faking It Without DHA" has a publication date of September, 1996.
Sunless.com visitors who have used sunless tanners with Mahakanni inform me that Mahakanni functions as a temporary stain. Used alone, the color is yellow, but added to a sunless tanning product with DHA, it is an effective ingredient that complements a sunless tan.
In 2001, Decleor introduced a DHA free sunless tanner, Decleor Auto-Bronzant SPF 6 Self-Tanning Age Prevention Cream, available from Sephora.com
show
, with the active ingredients erythrulose and Mahakanni

Oh God you want me to use brain cells lol!

Ok this is what I remember, Theres two tanning agents, DHA (no idea the full name) and EHA. Well DHA works within a few hours and tans the upper layers of the skin where as EHA works deeper down and takes longer to work - up to 48 hours.

Fake bake and D&E from Natura Sun (used to be Fantasy Tan) contain Both DHA & EHA, This helps the tan develop a deeper colour, apparently be less orangey, and less likely to be patchy as it wears off. As the upper layers containing the DHA wear off the lower levels where the EHA has worked now show through.

Now apparently if your allergic to DHA you should be ok with EHA (which I think is sugar based, but I am possibly wrong!).

Thats all I remember ever being told, perhaps collin can shed more light lol!

Kate xxx

Assuming we are talking about Erythulose here thats pretty spot on Kate:hug:

This ingredient is indeed a derivative of sugar and is present in many spray tan solutions and what it does is that it "evens out " the solution mix so when it is ejected from the gun it is more evenly mixed.

In addition it does indeed facilitate a secondary tan deepening effect...the DHA kicks in a tan about 4/6 hrs after application where as the Erythulose tanning effect kicks in 36/48 hrs after application.

As has already been mentioned it aids in reducing streaking,patchiness and the dreaded orange (tango) effect.

If a solution only contains DHD the tan would last 3-4 days only and would be more likely to be streaky or patchy..it is the Erythulose additive that then kicks in and facilitates a longer lasting tan (7 days +).

Erythulose is one of the dearer compounds (about two thirds more expensive than DHA)of a solution mix and to have a solution with this compound only would be price prohibitive (two thirds more expensive)and added to this of course is that the consumer wants a quick tan result.

So the combination of both these compounds in a "mix" gives the best possible solution that meets both the markets needs and of course price point.

Hoping that makes sense :eek:

See knew you would know!

What about this Mahakanni product. It claims to be really good but then has the DHA and Ehyl whatsitsname in it (no way am I spelling it!).

Any idead what the benefits are if any?

Kate x

If a tan was dha free does this mean it won't have that fake tan smell (which they all have to a certain degree....even the ones that claim they don't)? Or is that wishful thinking?

Latest posts

Back