Did i do the right thing?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

purplebunnies

Reaction score
I had a client call mke and said her nails were in terriable condition as she picks at the skin and nail bed and she wanted them to look nice, as she was going her her first date in 5 years. But it petrified her that she would need to show her hand to me. I said that it's probably not a bad as she thinks it is. I put her at ease and it took her a good 5 minutes before she would let me see her right hand. this is what she presented me with.

View attachment 1853

View attachment 1854

View attachment 1855

I still went ahead and put the enhacements on her, and explained that she may lifting on these 3 nails as it was impossible for me to remove all the cutile build up because of the dips in the nails. I suggested that she overdosed in cuticle oil, so it was was sat there having a cup of tea......cutile oil on.........watching the telly.........cuticle oil on. And definently said no picking it will make the problem worse and cause more damange to the nail bed. She gave me a pinky swear. I got her to sign a disclaimer as she was a nail biter/picker.

Here is the finished result, i know they're not 100% perfect, but my canvas was a little dodgy and i dont know how to custom blend yet.

PIC_0340.JPG

PIC_0341.JPG

Should i of put enchancements on her? worrying about this now in case more damage is being done.

attachments dont seem to be working?

Couldn't see any of your attachments hun.

She is a picker and a really bad one at that looking at the state of the cuticle and surrounding tissue area. I would bet that before long the
enhancements have been picked off aswell. Hope I am wrong though.

yes attatchments not working, did you manage to retail her any products- solar oil/balm preferably. This is an absolute must for someone with nails/ surrounding area in such a state. Also explain about the benefits of cuticle erasers. This is something that needs to be tackled at home as well as in the salon! HTH X

Hi there

Keep this lady as a client...And yes you can perform service's on her.

Did you take any before or after pic's..Great for looking back after 3 mnths or so to assess the changes....
Sounds like she needs a nail techs TLC.. Youll be surprised at how they will start to morph [lol] in to beautiful nails with your help.

Alot of techs have their problem nail clients , nails pop off! they pick! or just plain bite them off...Yep they do.
Its all in a days work...Work together- lush amounts of oil & tele sounds like you have already established a trust with her...

I say well done...

XX J XX

that poor lady!!!!! and her poor fingers!!! she probably does it to relieve stress and tension. she'll have to find another habit:eek:

ya' did good hon! and hopefully she'll keep coming back.

hopefully she will keep her promise to you and not pick again. i would definitley make sure she comes back every 2 weeks also. i think you did all the right things.

Cant understand why the before pictures didn't work. I will try and repost them again this evening, then you can all see the extend of the damage

Skin damaged as bad as this surrounding the nail plate is normally a contra indication to doing enhancements until the skin has healed up. You are taking a chance when working with monomer around inflammed or open tissue (and these are). I hope you were very very careful not to touch this area. As I say, this is a contraindication. You would not be covered by insurance for doing them in this condition. Be ware.

PIC_0337.JPG

PIC_0338.JPG

PIC_0339.JPG

These are the before pictures.

I didn't touch the surrounding skin, but when i first did my training i was only told about things like warts etc. I think that i should go on another skills workshop day and ask my new academy all about them so i am completely aware of everything.

Can you tell me what is the worse thing that could happen, as she is booked in for infils in 2 weeks time and i need to be prepared, should i call her and ask how things are going?

Dios mio!!! Those are B:A:D!!

I think a call would be anice thing to do and might encourage the lady to keep them out of her mouth. I'd see this person every 2 weeks and solarOIl will help aid in healing.

OMG!!! dont think i'd have touched them with a bargepole!! :eek:

Oh my god. Even if you shouldnt have done them I think you were very brave to try. I dont think I could have done them

Those kind of nails are what ENHANCEMENT is all about. think how over the moon she'll be. Best feeling in the world to do something like that for someone. Hope she appreciates it.

I'm not certain about working on her nails. I don't think I would have touched them either. It looks sore and painful! Is it possible that she could have had some type of allergic reaction to the products? It almost looks like she has some pitting ... psorisis ??? I think if you want to keep up you will need to see her EVERY WEEK! Seriously. I'd have her rub some medicated cream on her cuticles and skin also either a cortisone or polysporin (but not on nails). She might even benefit by seeing a doctor.
I don't want to discourage you. You must have a big heart to do this for someone!!

I Dont Think I Would Of Touched Them Either.
I Dont Think She Was A Nail Biter,think There Was Sumit Else Up With Them, They Looked Really Sore.
Please Let Us Know How You Get On With Her.

purplebunnies said:
View attachment 1862

View attachment 1863

View attachment 1864

These are the before pictures.

I didn't touch the surrounding skin, but when i first did my training i was only told about things like warts etc. I think that i should go on another skills workshop day and ask my new academy all about them so i am completely aware of everything.

Can you tell me what is the worse thing that could happen, as she is booked in for infils in 2 weeks time and i need to be prepared, should i call her and ask how things are going?

I think you have done a very brave thing taking on those nails. You would have absolutely made her day. When someone has a habit like that it only takes one very brave nail tech to help & give her the confidence to stop & maybe even change her life. Turning her away would have been easy but she may have never tried again to step foot into a salon again. Of course you need to make sure you stay far away from any open skin with your chemicals but apart from that i say "snaps" to you!!! :wink2:

The Nail Work Was Great Hopefully This Will Encourage Her Not To Pick At Her Nail Seeing How Nice That They Look.

She says she caused the damaged herself, as since a kid she has done nothing but groove her teeth into her thumb nail and constantly bite the skin and push the cuticle back.

She did get a little emotional when i showed her the before and after photos and she refused to look at what was happening whilst i was doing it. She said they weren't sore at all, but i did explain about the inflammed tissue and if she felt her fingers tingle or become very sore after the enhancements had been put on, to call me straight away and also call her GP about it.

I think i have done the right thing, and she was dead chuffed wth the results.:D

Do you think this kind of damage will grow out in time or has the matrix been damaged for life?

wow What a transformation!!! well done you. Were all her nails like this, or just the thumb? The pitting on her nails looks like a habit tic. As Geeg says, this is what enhancements are all about. The only thing I may have done differently was to have her back after a week to make sure she was coping okay and give her extra encouragement to break the habit. Go girl!

Latest posts

Back