Did I miss something in my training?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RAQUEL

Reaction score
I had a client today from Russia. She was booked in for an " infill" /rebalance/ maintenance as she had the originalset put on when she was at home . Is the following normally practice in some countries?

basically she wasnt very happy as i refused to drill away her natural nail free edge that had grown with the structure! When she realised i was only using my trusty grey wolf and buffers she asked why i didnt have a drill- i replied i didnt need it! She then asked if i could " get rid" of the nail growth by ripping it away from the acrylic ( which i now suspect was MMA.. this time i explained that in my opinion it was bad practice to ripoff the natural nail growth and explained about new sets or natural nail overlays ( the latter she semed quite horrified) and i said i doubted any professional salon would do it either. She told me that yes she'd heard there was a " problem" with getting british techs to do that and all the russian masters do it. I said, well ive had excellent education, including with russian masters and i am an educator myself and would never teach that and she replied by asking how much for a removal only as she couldnt possibly " walk around like this" and would be bankrupt if she had to pay for a soak and new set everytime her nails grew underneath..and at one point she took the file off me to file them herself so i took at back and pointed to my shiny silver trophy on my window sill HAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA i went all diva like- no one takes me file off me!!!!!

soo i had an unhappy client, i do not really care- im not ripping anyones natural nail off.. then i went to my car and someone had been jumping on the bonnet and it had a huge dent in it ha.. nice end to my day..

Last edited:
I had a client today from Russia. She was booked in for an " infill" /rebalance/ maintenance as she had the originalset put on when she was at home . Is the following normally practice in some countries?

basically she wasnt very happy as i refused to drill away her natural nail free edge that had grown with the structure! When she realised i was only using my trusty grey wolf and buffers she asked why i didnt have a drill- i replied i didnt need it! She then asked if i could " get rid" of the nail growth by ripping it away from the acrylic ( which i now suspect was MMA.. this time i explained that in my opinion it was bad practice to ripoff the natural nail growth and explained about new sets or natural nail overlays ( the latter she semed quite horrified) and i said i doubted any professional salon would do it either. She told me that yes she'd heard there was a " problem" with getting british techs to do that and all the russian masters do it. I said, well ive had excellent education, including with russian masters and i am an educator myself and would never teach that and she replied by asking how much for a removal only as she couldnt possibly " walk around like this" and would be bankrupt if she had to pay for a soak and new set everytime her nails grew underneath..and at one point she took the file off me to file them herself so i took at back and pointed to my shiny silver trophy on my window sill HAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA i went all diva like- no one takes me file off me!!!!! haha I like it :lol:

soo i had an unhappy client, i do not really care- im not ripping anyones natural nail off.. then i went to my car and someone had been jumping on the bonnet and it had a huge dent in it ha.. nice end to my day..

Im pretty sure ive read on here that there are some drill trained techs that will remove the natural nail growth underneath with their e-file (just the free edge of course)

I'm not understanding this.

So her natural nails and enhancement had grown. Ok, I get that. She wanted you to use an e-file/drill to remove her natural free edge from underneath the enhancement?

yip.. but because i do not have one, asked me to remove it with cuticle nippers . Maybe some efile users are trained to that but i personally would not do it- and i dont think its a " problem with uk techs" like she told me.

yip.. but because i do not have one, asked me to remove it with cuticle nippers . Maybe some efile users are trained to that but i personally would not do it- and i dont think its a " problem with uk techs" like she told me.

:eek: What would be the benefit of that???

:eek: What would be the benefit of that???
Some clients just hate the look of the natural nail growth beneath the nail.

You could have just clipped off her free edge, filed in a new smile line, and sculpted a new one back on without any ripping or efiling .. quite simple and painless and quick and the client gets the result they want ... done the right way.

Some clients just hate the look of the natural nail growth beneath the nail.

You could have just clipped off her free edge, filed in a new smile line, and sculpted a new one back on without any ripping or efiling .. quite simple and painless and quick and the client gets the result they want ... done the right way.
Clipped it with tip cutters? -do you mean the whole tip and overlay?not sure how i would detach the free edge from the acrylic- for that i prob would have charged a mere one pound less than a new set.

anyway..either way.. i control my table- no client takes the file off me- i wouldnt dream of taking the hairdryer off my hair stylist..so im not botheredi n the slightest if she doesnt return.
was quite painful for me this morning after filing down the mma- everytime without fail i wake up wheezing and sounding like even done in 60 benson and hedges- usually refuse to touch it but trying to explain what mma was was rather difficult.

Last edited:
i have quite a few clients who actually HATE the look of their natural nail free edge under their enhancement....i myself do not like it on my own enhancements.....i dont see the issue with that.
Rather than doing a soak off though and filing the free edge down and starting from scratch i have lately been doing as geeg describes and thinning out the enhancement and clipping the free edge off with nail clippers and re sculpting a new free edge..... so the client gets what they want and no damage is caused to their nails

i have quite a few clients who actually HATE the look of their natural nail free edge under their enhancement....i myself do not like it on my own enhancements.....i dont see the issue with that.
Rather than doing a soak off though and filing the free edge down and starting from scratch i have lately been doing as geeg describes and thinning out the enhancement and clipping the free edge off with nail clippers and re sculpting a new free edge..... so the client gets what they want and no damage is caused to their nails
get what you mean now and will remember for future.. however like i said the diff in price would be minimal as i do not charge alot for a full set and the reason i didnt replace the whites on that particular client was after i filed the free edge the mma nearly knocked me out so i offered to airbrush them. Thats why i hate rebalancing other peoples work unless i know exactly what has been used. Like i said .. im suffering today for it despite using ventilation etc..

Latest posts

Back