Did you/do you charge your models?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

loualarta

Reaction score
I had a text tonight from a friend of mine that I only speak to once in a while. Im not even sure if she knew I did my nail course a year ago. She told me that she has just done her creative foundation and would I be her model but there would be a charge of £28 to cover her costs!! I explained to her that I had too completed this course a year ago and did my own nails so couldnt be a model for her. Knowing how much it costs to do a set I thought £28 was a hell of a lot of money to charge a model when you can get a set in lots of salons for that by an experienced tech.
I never charged people I asked to be models when I was training, even now if I am desperate to try something out I dont charge models because I saw it as they were doing me the favour (although nearly everyone gave me something as a tip). What does/did everyone else do?

Hi there

Sounds a bit unusual to me - I've never asked/needed a model to pay whilst training & I dont think anyone else in the classes had either.
I'd let her go & find her models elsewhere.

XX J XX

if im using a model for training... i need them i never charge em.... mostly my models have been either clients, mates or colleagues who are willing to help out... and they do get a sort out set as payment ;)

Jess
xox

Hmmm, 28.00 does seem like a hell of a lot. There is no way that 28 quid is just to cover costs!

When needed hands to practice on I would charge just 5.00 to cover my costs.

When I needed models for my assessments I never charged them at all. Coz the way I saw it was they were helping me out. If I needed practise and wanted to do a full set on my friends I still wouldn't charge them but then they always gave me a bit of money just to cover my products.

£28 for Hornchurch AND she is approaching you - she won't get far.

I would say £15/£20 for someone starting out would be the max they should be charging models.

Tell her to buy a nail trainger - it will be a friend to anyone.

I have just started my training. I Have 4 models and I am not going to charge any of them. Not now and not in the future. They are my models and if I do a good job they are walking advertisement for me.

I have never charged anyone who's been a model for me.
most of my models are my firends - a select few of them still don't pay as they are a walking advert for me, but i did choose them carefully to ensure maximum exposure!!!

I have 6 models - i do them all for free. I would feel unable to ask them for money, for several reasons.

It took me 4 hours to do a full set to start with - it is still taking me 2 hours, they need a lot of patience.
The nails I produce do not look like they have been done in a salon. They are getting better but the smile lines could be better etc.
I think I have caught all of them with a fail or held on to a finger too hard at least once.

Everybody sees the deal as 2 way traffic though I have to admit 3 of them lose nearly all their nails every time. It is very hard for me to judge if it is my fault or theirs, at least with no money changing hands I don't have the problem of replacing nails at their beck and call

i've not been qualified for long,but my first models were family and friends for free,then i progressed to putting flyers in neighbours doors for offer price £10,now i am putting ad's in shops etc,stating "new tech,gaining experience full set l&p £15",when i am upto speed etc my full set when then go to a higher rate of approx £25/£30.....ps i am mobile.

I think that £28 seems a lot!! I dont think it is unreasonable to charge a SMALL fee if you are qualified but practising, and they WANT their nails done. If they are not qualified though, and just want to have a practice I dont see how they can charge! As she approached you I dont see how she can then charge what is effectivly, full price for a set of nails, bloomin' cheek!!

i've not been qualified for long,but my first models were family and friends for free,then i progressed to putting flyers in neighbours doors for offer price £10,now i am putting ad's in shops etc,stating "new tech,gaining experience full set l&p £15",when i am upto speed etc my full set when then go to a higher rate of approx £25/£30.....ps i am mobile.

Just what I intend:)

Thanks for the replys. I dont think she realised that I actually know how much a set really costs us to do. I think if you are asking someone to do you a favour then you should cover the costs if they are friends.

When it came to enhancments i charged my helpful friends £10 to cover my costs but for manicure and pedicure and the comps i have never charged my models. they are helping me not the other way round.

When i was training at the academy i didnt charge my models, i used to pay for there transport and buy there lunch, if it wasnt for them helping me out i wouldnt of been able to do it at all and now if they come to me for full sets i always do it at a reduced price to show my gratitude, your mate needs a wake up call and a course on good manners:hug:

I really don't think you should charge models while you are still learning as the nails won't be up to scratch, lifting and maybe falling off etc as we all have to learn.

When you are qualified then you should cover your costs at least until you decide to charge full price. My mom was my model on my creative course,I thanked her a lot as she did me a huge favour, bought her lunch etc....

It seems like this friend is trying it on a little bit to me :irked:

Latest posts

Back