Die hard L/P girl thinking about gel!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jayneym

Reaction score
Hi geeks
I'm a true die hard L/P fan and have never really thought of using gel until now!
Only want to offer as an overlay service for semi perm french and thought it would be a good idea to ask those in the know if its worth doing for just that purpose?
Would I be right in thinking it would be more like a french polish technique using the paint on white then a pink or clear o/l???
I've tried gel once or twice and found it really difficult to master as Im so used to l&p!!
All advice would be very much appreciated
Thanks in advance guys
Jayneym xxxx

I started with L&P, but have now added gel to my service, I'm using calgel and find it really easy to do, I took the 2 day course it was sooo not needed lol but the trainer did say she could tell I was an L&P girl from the way I applied lol
I apply the white gel as neat as poss then dip my brush in calguard and neaten up smile line, so kinda like a french polish. I use clear to finish as I think the pink they have for french makes it look like the client has stick on's on lol hth xx

You must be a natural with l&p then as i find gel so easy it's just like painting the nail with varnish.

xx

You must be a natural with l&p then as i find gel so easy it's just like painting the nail with varnish.

xx

To be fair, the only gels that apply like varnish are the soak off gels and the down side to soak off gels is that they are simply not strong enough for those who are used to strong enhancements.

Many people use both a soak off for the clients for whom they are suitable and a buff off gel for those who need the strength.

There are differences BIG differences in gels.

For strength and longevity I would recommend Brisa gels from CND .. they are unsurpassed for beauty, longevity, clarity and colour stability.

For those who want a thin overlay which is pretty much painted on, I still use CND Brisa but just paint it on instead of building for strength.

I was like you! I absolutely hated using gel, to much muckin about if you ask me! lol

That was until I went to 'The Event' last year and tried Brisa. I absolutely love it now!

Definately worth doing it for NNO's on fingers and toes! If you promote it well, you'll have them beating the door down!:lol:

Brisa comes with a sculpting white gel and a paint on white gel. So you can use either. I prefer to use the sculpting gel because it stays where you put it! (believe it or not). However the paint on white is great too, especially for repairs/touch ups. I also use it on top of L&P when my natural ladies fancy a french for a change.

I do my base layer in pink, then the white tip, then clear. That way you get a nice pinky colour and the white is nice and crisp.

Hope this helps.

ooohhh thanks for that - I'm quite fancying having a go and will probably try it on myself !
I want something thats going to stay on while I'm working cos polish doesnt last 2 minutes but I just cant get my p/w l&p up to scratch on my other hand.
Can manage a mean french polish though so could this be the way to go?
Only thing that bothers me is all this curing lark and cleansing off the" whatever its called" layer!!
Do I cure every finger at every stage - wipe sticky stuff off and way to go or is it even more messing about??!
Its just sssooo alien to me cos my good old l/p just stays put & does what its told - just a likkle swipe with the buffer and youre off!
Hhmmm - think I'd better book me a course too !
God I sound scarey dont I ??!!

lol nope, hardly any messing about.

Prep, apply bond, scrub in base layer cure for 2 mins, apply white cure for 2 mins, apply builder layer cure for 2 mins, remove tacky layer, buff and apply topcoat cure for 2 mins. Easy peasy!

Inhibition layer (tacky layer lol) stays on all the way through till you need to refine shape and the Brisa lamp has a 10 sec cure button so you can lock the white if you need to, I hardly ever use it but its really handy.

The only problem I have is a tendency to over file because its SO soft compared to L&P but I'm workin on it! :smack:

Get that course booked, you wount regret it!:)

ooohhh thanks for that - I'm quite fancying having a go and will probably try it on myself !
I want something thats going to stay on while I'm working cos polish doesnt last 2 minutes but I just cant get my p/w l&p up to scratch on my other hand.
Can manage a mean french polish though so could this be the way to go?
Only thing that bothers me is all this curing lark and cleansing off the" whatever its called" layer!!
Do I cure every finger at every stage - wipe sticky stuff off and way to go or is it even more messing about??!
Its just sssooo alien to me cos my good old l/p just stays put & does what its told - just a likkle swipe with the buffer and youre off!
Hhmmm - think I'd better book me a course too !
God I sound scarey dont I ??!!

If you want L&P on your 'other' hand why not use PopIts ?? Beautiful result plus practice to add a new quick service to your menu for clients. Anyone cando their own nails so quickly using PopIts and with a perfect result.

OOHH thanks so much hunny - I'm gonna save my wonga and book the course!
Thanks again
Jayneym x:hug:

I know how you feel about l/p I knew how to do that before a manicure. I love doing them, but now I love to do gel as well. I learned gel with CND,mostly self taught with the help of the CND web site. Brisa is the gel ystem they offer and with that you can sculpt and overlay. The system does have paint on gel that is easy to use. It will take time to get used to using gel vs acrylics but with enough practice you can get it. Take ome classes that may be in your area and get a practice hand or some friends who don't mind being guinea pigs. GOOD LUCK!
Posted via Mobile Device

You can also use a paint on white and a gloss gel over your acrylics.

Some of the die hard L&P techs find it easier switching over this way.

You can also infill an L&P nail with gel :)

Gina xx

Latest posts

Back