Dilemma - Advice wanted please

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

xtremities

Reaction score
Hi all.

As some of you know I have relocated from Epsom in Surrey to Hastings by the sea.

I am still travelling up two days a week to do my old clients nails, but can't do this for too long. Anyway, I have had some business cards made up and been giving them out to local hairdressers etc. I was thinking of setting up from home as I have a nice big spare room.

My dilemma, well today I got a call from a lady who is opening up a beauty salon very close to me and she has asked me if I would like to set up Xtremities from her beauty salon. I would have to give her 20% of my takings etc.

She seems really nice. The location is on a small high street with lots of passing trade. The area is a bit run down i.e. regeneration area, but there are a few nice shops opening up in the area. There is a hairdresser across the road.

I am not sure what to do, stay with working from home or set up in this salon. Do clients prefer to go to a salon etc. I have just had a nice laminate floor put down in my spare room and am working on website, also had the local newspaper round to discuss advertising etc.

Would it be better to start up in the salon or from home as I am completely new to this area and don't really know anyone.

Any advice would be so welcome.

Sam
Xtremities

Work with her for a while 6 months to a year, build up some clientele, get to know your new neighbors, get your shop all set up while you do this then give her 2 weeks notice once you are ready to leave... Make sure you give YOUR clients your number on your way out. Use a cell number, but not her shop number so they can call you directly.

Maybe you can let her know up front you will be eventually leaving, but don't share too much detail as it may sour your relationship with her, But do give her just enough info so she isn't blind sided and can say she was aware you'd eventually go.

Best Wishes

Work with her for a while 6 months to a year, build up some clientele, get to know your new neighbors, get your shop all set up while you do this then give her 2 weeks notice once you are ready to leave... Make sure you give YOUR clients your number on your way out. Use a cell number, but not her shop number so they can call you directly.

Maybe you can let her know up front you will be eventually leaving, but don't share too much detail as it may sour your relationship with her, But do give her just enough info so she isn't blind sided and can say she was aware you'd eventually go.

Best Wishes
Sorry but I think this is a terrible idea - how would you feel as a salon owner if this was done to you.

Sam, you have had experience of working in a salon before - use your experience there to sort through the pros and cons of doing this. Maybe you could combine a bit of both - work in the salon on the times that you might not be so busy at home and vice versa. Gives you the best of both worlds.

Treat others the way you would like to be treated and dont do something for the sole reason of benefitting yourself.

Sorry but I think this is a terrible idea - how would you feel as a salon owner if this was done to you.

Sam, you have had experience of working in a salon before - use your experience there to sort through the pros and cons of doing this. Maybe you could combine a bit of both - work in the salon on the times that you might not be so busy at home and vice versa. Gives you the best of both worlds.

Treat others the way you would like to be treated and dont do something for the sole reason of benefitting yourself.

I couldn't agree more Fiona the old saying "what goes around comes around" is very true.

Only you can make your decision Sam i hope you make the right one for you:hug:

Hi there

I was thinking perhaps you could commit to say Fridays and Saturdays in the salon and then the rest of the week concentrate on working from home. I think the 6 months contract is a good idea, this way you can see for yourself which road you want to go down. This lady is obviously interested in you because she had approached you so probably willing to negotiate terms. If you are honest and up front from the start she will respect you more, after all she's only trying to make a living like the rest of us. Strike up a deal that says win win. Two heads are better than one!! its always easier to get clients once you get your work out there. Why not have your cake and eat it for a while. Its verly lonely on your own sometimes!!
Good luck
Charlotte

Best Wishes

When you say YOUR clients surely the cost of setting up that salon and advertising etc means those clients will belong just as much to the salon owner as the technician!

I have been in that position before and it was one of the most stressful and devastating times of my life and I would never wish it on anyone...

By no means am I critising you... it's just I think this happens all too often in our industry and it can be really uopsetting for all those involved.

I agree with a couple of the other girls. Stayon your own, you will soon generate new clients when you have done a little advertising. I personally think that clients like the one 2 one treatment. You can do it - go for it. Stop panicking - it may be a little slow at first, but christmas is just around the corner and lots of ladies will be knocking at your door soon. Chin Up!!:hug:

Maybe ask her if you can pay a set amount for a space in the salon then you can do your own advertising etc and then I would think that the clients will be yours. If you decide to stick with the 20% charge then you need to find out what happens re electric, water, rates etc too, does she expect you to contibute to these over and above the 20% charge, or is this in the 20% ,and what about taking bookings, do they take them or do you?? You could always come to an agreement as to who the clients belong to, before you start. I have a friend who works all day Thursday & Friday, plus Saturday morning doing nails in a hairdressers salon and the rest of the time in her own home salon, but the agreement she has with the hairdresser is that the nail clients at the hair salon dont belong to the hair salon but to her, so there is no conflict of interest. She pays a set amount each week to the owner of the hairdresser salon and this includes the rent, power, rates etc...they are all included in this set amount. You also need a contract between you both to set out exactly what is what, so there is no confusion later on. All the best.

If i were you i would be tempted to go for the salon,for a couple of reasons.
Firstly you are new to the area so building up a client base will take time and secondly the salon is already established which means not as much advertising,less expense.Ultimately it is your decision good luck x

I think it would be good to go into the salon for a couple of days a week as said before, but I also think you have to go in with the idea of staying there part time.
To go in with the intention of getting a client base then leaving would be morally wrong I feel. I'm sure the beauty lady would appreciate you doing part time rather than nothing, and then you may find you have a slightly different type of client who wants the 121 home salon environment.
Let us know your feelings on this Sam, It would be nice to hear what your eventual choice would be.

I think it would be wise to combine the two, then you have the best of both worlds. Regular clients in both and also walk-ins from the salon.

I was in Hastings recently and I understand what you mean by the area being really run down but as I understand they are doing it all up like they have brighton and it will become very hip and trendy so it maybe worth being in the centre of things at the beginning and getting established.

Latest posts

Back