Dilemma on phone number?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Glamour Puss7

Reaction score
Hi Geeks,
I'm in a dilemma.... Do I get a new number & separate phone as I'm going mobile, or keep my existing phone for business also, & advertise that number??
I have thought about the fact it should be two separate phones, 1 for personal & 1 for business, but can't be bothered with two phones?
All my regulars have my mobile number now, but I suppose it's different being advertised to the "general public"?
Oh what to do? Thanks 😊

Im wondering this too. Its a hard decision as i am clumsy enough woth one phone never mind two to look after:O but then theres certain people i really wouldnt want to get hold of my personal number.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using SalonGeek

You could just keep your number then if it gets too much, get a new private number for friends and family, your current number is out there now so clients will still use it even if you give them another one x

Yes it's hard, but I did say to my regulars that I would possibly be getting new phone number, & they would have to contact me on that, & they were fine with it.
They've never passed that number on as I've asked them not to, it's only my regular clientele that have been coming to my salon years that have it anyway. It's hard decision????

I previously just had the one mobile number and I plan to use that number again when I start up later this year. It wasn't a problem at all, as in the end most existing clients booked before they left my home salon.

I would go for a new number , especially if going to have it on marketing material that way you can keep home and private life just that!

I started with a pay as you go phone until I knew how things would go then professed to a contract phone once I was a bit more established and had a regular income !

C xx

I have been going for about 12 years now, and have used my mobile number the whole way without any problems. Only now do I think I would like to separate the 2 as there's not just me working, so I could leave the 'work' mobile when I'm away and someone else can book mrs so and so in!!! It's certainly a lot easier to give my friends and family a new number than to try and give one to all my clients!

You NEED seperate numbers if you want to restrict when people call & text you & to make your accounts easy.

Do you want calls & texts from clients or potential clients while your on your holidays? While your at a wedding? While your having a family day out?

If you use your personal phone for business too your bills will be awkward to work out as you will have to divide what you pay per month by the amount you use it for business & how much you use it for personal use (being mobile this will most likely change month by month, so it will make more accounting work when it's not really needed).

You don't have to take out a contract phone, you can use a pay as you go if you want but I think you really should have a work only number that you can answer or turn off when you want to without having to cut yourself off from friends & family.

I have a work phone and forward the calls to my personal phone if I don't want to carry 2 mobiles about and then just have to check the work phone for texts.

Couldn't agree with baggybear more, when its your day off you can turn off your business phone but its unlikely you will turn off your personal one. Clients will try to contact you at any time, and day or night they feel like it. Don't let them by having a phone that turns off that you can set the answering machine to a professional message about your open hours and when you will call back. X

ive just got the one phone and yes clients do occasionaly ring at awkward times generally a sunday night but i just ignore it!! I will get another one at some stage xx

I have a new number & a seperate phone, you will get sales calls, calls from random numbers its more professional to answer your phone with your business name & business greeting on your voicemail. Then you know a business call/ text is coming thru.

Also works out better for your tax return knowing whats what with your bills. Xx

Yes cheers everyone 👍 all these things that have been said have been discussed & thought about... Was thinking of getting another pay as you go sim for an old phone I have, so it doesn't cost too much.
So 2 phones it is 😁 think having 2 phones will drive me mad though! Have to wait & see?
Thanks 😄

Alternatively you can have a "virtual number" which rings your own phone, but you can choose if and when you answer it.
I know lots of you will disagree with this (including my own humsbums) but as this is my business I feel that I have no option to be kinda on call 24/7.
We have a VOIP system now for both salon and the distribution side (CDL). When someone rings the VOIP number out of hours they get the voicemail and they can leave a message. We get an email containing a WAV file so we can listen to the message and then we can call back if we are able/willing.
There is, of course, a cost associated with this (to us) but it does mean that we can take messages out of hours and that our home number and work one is separated.
If you don't know what VOIP is, it's Voice Over Internet Protocol.
Google it for more info!
We use and are very happy to recommend SureVoip, with the delicious Gavin at the helm!

I have two mobiles, one reason being its easier for tax purposes, 2nd being that when I go on holiday I only have to take my personal phone and don't get bothered with work calls while I'm relaxing, on a beach, sun blazing, cocktail in hand, book in other.....off in a dream world :) xx

I used to have one phone but it drove me mad. Now I have a personal one and business one so that now when I answer I can answer it with my business name. It is annoying having two phones to carry (almost left my work phone in the petrol station last week!!) but at least if im away or out I can switch off my work phone but still be available on my personal phone for friends or family.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using SalonGeek

I don't know if there are any real phones that do it, but fake iPhones (sciphone) are dual sim, basically they have 2 numbers, and work independently on one device. X

Yeah you can get fake samsungs called sumsungs that work dual sims or just ebay search dual sim

Sent from my GT-S5360 using SalonGeek

Alternatively you can have a "virtual number" which rings your own phone, but you can choose if and when you answer it.
I know lots of you will disagree with this (including my own humsbums) but as this is my business I feel that I have no option to be kinda on call 24/7.
We have a VOIP system now for both salon and the distribution side (CDL). When someone rings the VOIP number out of hours they get the voicemail and they can leave a message. We get an email containing a WAV file so we can listen to the message and then we can call back if we are able/willing.
There is, of course, a cost associated with this (to us) but it does mean that we can take messages out of hours and that our home number and work one is separated.
If you don't know what VOIP is, it's Voice Over Internet Protocol.
Google it for more info!
We use and are very happy to recommend SureVoip, with the delicious Gavin at the helm!

Hi Lynne,
Ooh... That sounds totally Alien to me, like the idea of a "virtual" number... Sorry what does this mean? Ha Ha Thanks 😄

A virtual number works like this.
You find a supplier of virtual numbers. We chose Surevoip, but there are many out there.
You choose your number. We chose (01635) 749749 because it's easy to remember.
You tell the supplier where you want that number routed. We had ours routed to our landline.
This means that when our customers ring the 749 number it actually rings on our landline!
You could have the number routed to your mobile, and assign a different ring tone to it, so that you're not having to carry around two phones.
It's all jolly clever!

I have a landline number from net Telco here https://www.net-telco.net/numbers

I actually picked a free one but you can purchase one very cheaply. There are SOOOO many numbers on there! It rings on my mobile so it's great.

They also do the VOIP that Lynn said too.

xx

Latest posts

Back