Dip dye extensions

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

donna hair

Reaction score
Hi I've got a lady who has dark hair, I've not done a consultation yet so can't say what colour I'm just going off what she's said.

She wants dip dye red on the ends.

After reading other posts I think the best thing for me to do is colour them myself.

If I was to use majicontrast would that show on dark extensions, or does anybody know what colour I could use?

I'm very grateful for any help x

it probably wont show too brightly but maybe if the hair is really really good quality (which i suppose it will have to be good to withstand colouring anyways) then you might get away with it? just thinking with the processing extensions go through before we even get close to them it would be like putting majicontrast over permenant colour which as you know is never quite as bright. do you have some strands you could test on? i know a few people on here do their own ombre/dip dyes. i have yet to try it though! would love this myself lol x

Can I ask you what qualifications you have? A have a great brand overseas that does quite good dip dyed but only sell to those who are hair professionals. I buy alot of my extension supplies from there.

Foxy do dip dyed think they're 4 and 99j ends!

Foxy do dip dyed think they're 4 and 99j ends!

Do you get on well with foxy? Their dip dyed I tried had really tapered and dry ends. But how is their normal hair?

Do you get on well with foxy? Their dip dyed I tried had really tapered and dry ends. But how is their normal hair?

Hi did have a problem with their blonde dip dyed, had to remove them within 2 weeks as they'd gone fluffy and matted, reckon bad batch as about 20 strands were still smooth. Hayley was great and once she realised I was the wearer and used my own after are which is the same as theirs, didn't give me all the rubbish about waiting for it to be tested blah! Blah, blah just offered me a refund or replacement. I e used them quite a bit all different colours including blondes and not had a problem, I have learnt though if client wants full 16-18" I buy 30" and. It it down as sometimes ends are wispy but that's only been with the blondes.

Yes I'vegot my gnvq 2, 10 years experience and trained in micro ring, micro loop, pre bonded, weave, with more qualifications to come (hopefully) xx

Sorry to jump.on your thread.lol bit I woukd also be ibterested in a supplier of.dip dyed extensions as I cant seem to.find.any and have heard Foxy ones arent so great xx

Sent from my GT-P1000 using SalonGeek

Can I ask you what qualifications you have? A have a great brand overseas that does quite good dip dyed but only sell to those who are hair professionals. I buy alot of my extension supplies from there.

Hey hun could you pm me the details please x

Just thought I'd upload a photo of some ombre/dip dye extensions I did myself. 1b at top and 8 at ends fading gradually. Have done it before and it has gone well many times. But it's kind of a mine field colouring extensions. The extensions need to be virgin or very good quality to work well. Did it the other day on lower budget and failed miserably, it was like the bleach didn't work properly. Makes me wonder if it was human hair! Extensions are a total mine field I tell you and I don't even want to offer anything but the best hair anymore it's just not worth it IMO. But you live and learn. Just out of pocket now and couldn't please my client. But with lower end hair you never know what you really get. Really makes a difference working with a product you trust and know delivers.

Attachments

• ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1331591063.954112.jpg
    ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1331591063.954112.jpg
    165.4 KB · Views: 944
Last edited:
Just thought I'd upload a photo of some ombre/dip dye extensions I did myself. 1b at top and 8 at ends fading gradually. Have done it before and it has gone well many times. But it's kind of a mine field colouring extensions. The extensions need to be virgin or very good quality to work well. Did it the other day on lower budget and failed miserably, it was like the bleach didn't work properly. Makes me wonder if it was human hair! Extensions are a total mine field I tell you and I don't even want to offer budget hair anymore it's just not worth it IMO. But you live and learn. Just out of pocket now and couldn't pleae my client. But with budget hair you never know what you really get. Really makes a difference working with a product you trust and know delivers.

Nice work x

Nice work x

Thank you! I needed a bit of a confidence boost have had a bad week where everything seems to be going wrong! Been doing this for so long and never had these kind of problems. Just have to put it down in the lesson book.

Thank you! I needed a bit of a confidence boost have had a bad week where everything seems to be going wrong! Been doing this for so long and never had these kind of problems. Just have to put it down in the lesson book.

Aw hun, don't let things dishearten you... you are a very knowledgeable and experienced extensionist. What has got you down? It's rarely to do with us (may sound a bit pig headed, I know.. but) I doubt very much It's your work!

Keep smiling and doing what you do :) x

Another one I did and putting in a client today. Fingers crossed it all goes well. Dip dye is a nightmare sometimes with extensions to make sure it all matches.

Attachments

• ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1331669820.442513.jpg
    ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1331669820.442513.jpg
    155.3 KB · Views: 2,238
Not sure if anyone has thought of this but with the dip dye look why not buy the hair colour you want on the ends and then just darken the top. Saves bleaching up and adding more damage, toning is less damaging. Just a thought xx

Another one I did and putting in a client today. Fingers crossed it all goes well. Dip dye is a nightmare sometimes with extensions to make sure it all matches.

Once again, fab work!

Do you do your bundles separately? ie, if you have say 200 bonds for a client do you 'dip dye' 50 at a time? If so, would it pay to split the bundles up again after to blend any slight differences before you fit them?
Plus then it would give more of a subtle line that way x

Hi just jumping in! @theextensionst-love your 1b-8 extensions-that's exactly how my hair is ATM :) although I brought the extensions in the 8 then dyed the top dark brown. Only prob is they were pre tipped at the colour 8 so are lighter where the bonds are. I'm so rubbish at pre tipping though and wanted to choose my lighter colour rather than hoping for the best with bleach! Here's a pic so u can see

Attachments

• ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1331673964.538637.jpg
    ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1331673964.538637.jpg
    31.2 KB · Views: 206
Yeah you can do that too. But Generally if the client is a 1b naturally and has bleached ends then extensions need to be done same way. Otherwise the color will fade at the top and you can't color them with the natural hair. But when I dip bleach I do it in a looooong process to ensure less damage and I use good quality hair. This is a girl I did the other day.

Attachments

• ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1331682137.135533.jpg
    ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1331682137.135533.jpg
    27.2 KB · Views: 5,070
This thread is making me want to have dip dye again! This is when I did my own earlier this year using weft extensions- id previously has blonde hair & had a full head left over do I dyed the tops a 2 & the bottom a copper 8. They did fade a lot tho :/ might have a test on my extensions I e already got fitted on myself tomo :)

Attachments

• ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1331683718.300425.jpg
    ImageUploadedBySalonGeek1331683718.300425.jpg
    78.1 KB · Views: 1,461
Omg you're gorgeous!! I wish you lived in London so I could to my pin up makeup on you!

I had dip dyed a bit but got bored of it actually. Think it's one of those things you just need to get out of your system. Right now I'm obsessed with the idea of going super platinum with a fringe. It looks amazing on you though!!! Really suits you.

Latest posts

Back