Do You Let Your Clients Walk All Over You?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mrs.Clooney

Positive Geek
Reaction score
I have posted this in Nail Geek because I hope it gets techs (especially newbies) to evaluate why we do and say certain things which affect our self esteem, professionalism and ultimately, our businesses. This also applies to Skin Geeks, however. Mods, please feel free to move this if you think it is in the wrong forum though.

When I first started doing nails I gave loads of freebies because I felt guilty about 'doing a bad set' even if the client was a picker or heavy handed and careless. I would also go out of my way to do somebody's nails be it a bank holiday or a Sunday or of an evening which didn't really suite my family.

All this inconvenienced me and my family, so why did I do it?

In my mind I was (a) desperated to prove I was a good enough tech (b) desperate to earn the extra cash (c) desperate to please my clients every whim by bending over backwards even if it meant giving freebies (d) desperate not to lose my clients (e) desperate to prove my worth etc......... Basically I was DESPERATE!

Yet at the end of the day, many clients were happy to walk over me, take advantage of my good will, let me down by forgetting appointments etc... and really, it was my own fault because I let them because I was lacking confidence. I can also be a bit of a softie:rolleyes: .

Hopefully, I can get my nail business up and running again now and do things differently. Many experienced geeks on this site take no bull s--t from anyone where their business is concerned. Take Carl (Nailzoo) for example who charges for missed appointments or late cancelations, and rightly so!

The nail industry is trying to change for the better be it salon, home or mobile based. We are professionals and and thus should treat ourselves and our businesses as such! The buck stops HERE!

If nail technicians want to be taken seriously as professionals, then they must behave as professionals but one can't do that until one IS professional.

What is a professional??? LOOK IT UP IN THE DICTIONARY. A professional is not what you may think it is. Many claim to be professionals and they are not.

If you are not fully trained or capable of working completely on your own without any supervision; if you lack experience etc, you are not a professional.

One of the reasons many nail technicians are not given the respect they are due, is that so many claim to be professionals when they are not. Why only the other day we had a member posting that her boss was putting her in the salon at full price despite her lack of experience, because the boss did not want the clients to know the technician lacked experience .... NO WONDER when the public are so duped by people like this, that they find it hard to find true professionals. When newbies come into the industry and charge the same as a nail technician with years of experience, is it any wonder the public are confused as to who is and who isn't the professional???

If nail technicians want to be taken seriously as professionals, then they must behave as professionals but one can't do that until one IS professional.

Professionals do not give freebies, or discounts. Do not let clients dictate or abuse their service. But the true professional is THERE when their clients need them and always ready to give top notch service.

i someitmes think i am a bit of a pushover
as i still only charge £15 full set ,and why ? because im hoping it will bring me more clients ..and is it ! ..probably not !(infact probably the opposite)

i also worry sometimes as my sets arn't "perfect" ..but being as fussy over nails as i am ,id be charging £15 for eternity as i think i will always strive for improvement .

i dont charge for nail art either .

i have had lots of long hard thinks over the last few months due to comments from certain geeks ,some of which that spring to mind are..sassy ,izzidol and peter pan ..all who have tried to get me to value myself and my work a bit more ...and i am very greatful to them as it is working slowly ..

so after christmas i have decided to up ,my prices ,get myself some flyers and buisness cards printed..stop releying on word of mouth
and throw myself into my buisness properly ..
ill also be doing my beauty training then too so hopefully ill be a busy bee!
but i know its not going to fall into my lap ,im gunna have to work hard and prove to myself and my clients that i mean buisness

God I am definately a walk over! I have been running my own home based salon for 3 years now and have only JUST started to say no! I have always tried to take a day off a week, and not work between 3 + 4.30 so I can collect my kids and give them some of my time! I cannot count the number of times I have said, "oh ok, just this once" when someone has been "desperate" for an appointment. I am learning though! When im 80 I will prob get that one day off a week!:D

Im not a pushover at all, I have set hours im avalible and i stick to it. My clients all have respect for me, and they dont take the wotzit. I dont under charge, but I dont rip them off either. They get a good service for a reasonable cost, and I am passionate about my career and want to be the best I can.:p

i someitmes think i am a bit of a pushover
as i still only charge £15 full set ,and why ? because im hoping it will bring me more clients ..and is it ! ..probably not !(infact probably the opposite)

i also worry sometimes as my sets arn't "perfect" ..but being as fussy over nails as i am ,id be charging £15 for eternity as i think i will always strive for improvement .

i dont charge for nail art either .

i have had lots of long hard thinks over the last few months due to comments from certain geeks ,some of which that spring to mind are..sassy ,izzidol and peter pan ..all who have tried to get me to value myself and my work a bit more ...and i am very greatful to them as it is working slowly ..

so after christmas i have decided to up ,my prices ,get myself some flyers and buisness cards printed..stop releying on word of mouth
and throw myself into my buisness properly ..
ill also be doing my beauty training then too so hopefully ill be a busy bee!
but i know its not going to fall into my lap ,im gunna have to work hard and prove to myself and my clients that i mean buisness

Why wait until after Christmas to up your prices.

This is the ideal time while there are loads of people wanting their nails done for parties etc. If you leave it until after christmas you will feel the pinch alot more then.

thats just it though hun ,ive hardly had any clients whatsoever latley as everyone is skint on the lead up to xmas
so come new year all my clients will have gone a month or 2 without nails on ,and will be desperate to have them on at any cost lol

It was actually one of your responses Geeg which prompted me to start this thread. Hope I have posted the link correctly.
http://www.salongeek.com/nail-geek/23847-lifting-enhancements-due-self-tanning-products.html
I agree that not every nail tech is qualified or professional. I believe that I am qualified to a certain level and based on this, feel that although I try to be as professional as possible, I let myself down because I have sometimes lacked confidence. I want to change this for myself because I want to be as professional as I can be and be seen to be a professional instead of a walk over.

I think there are many newbies and regulars to this site who want to strive for this too. I agree that newbies should not be charging as the more experienced techs but because they are new to the industry, does not mean that they cannot be considered professional!

To be a good nail tech isn't just about the nails, although of course it helps if you are good at what you do. No, you also have to be able to deal with the public which in such a service industry as ours takes a very special kind of person.

With countless consumer programmes like Watchdog people are learning to complain ... well actually they are learning to moan! They think that if they moan loudly and long enough that they will get what they want. So a certain understanding of consumer law is necessary, along with a nerve of steel to stand your ground.

Then there is the lack of confidence in yourself and the dreaded fear that if I don't roll over and do everything the client wants when they want it that they will go elsewhere. You know what they might just do that, but if you give a first class service then you can pretty much guarantee that they will be back. BUT the chances are they can fit in around you, it's just for you to be brave and offer alternative suggestions. I think every time I have bent over backwards for someone they have let me down and so I just dont do it anymore. I have my working hours and that's it.

The trouble is that people start their own business without any sounds business background at all. They think that all there is to it is go and check out all the other salons prices and then undercut them. That is not how it works. You have to do a business plan, with a profit and loss forecast, a marketing strategy, a cashflow forecast, a cv, a SWOT analysis and more.

There is a great article that I suggest anyone thinking about going self employed reads http://www.salongeek.com/business/45431-how-run-more-profitable-beauty-salon.html because it really does ask the questions about whether self employment is for you.

Then there is the lack of confidence in yourself and the dreaded fear that if I don't roll over and do everything the client wants when they want it that they will go elsewhere. You know what they might just do that, but if you give a first class service then you can pretty much guarantee that they will be back. BUT the chances are they can fit in around you, it's just for you to be brave and offer alternative suggestions. I think every time I have bent over backwards for someone they have let me down and so I just dont do it anymore. I have my working hours and that's it.

The trouble is that people start their own business without any sounds business background at all. They think that all there is to it is go and check out all the other salons prices and then undercut them. That is not how it works. You have to do a business plan, with a profit and loss forecast, a marketing strategy, a cashflow forecast, a cv, a SWOT analysis and more.
Sassy, it is as if you are speaking my mind. I do think for me it is a lack of confidence and self belief and I really want to change this. I too, feel very upset when clients let me down. I know this is something I need to work on and only I can change this by standing my ground and being firm.

I am the first to admit that my 'business sense' is shockingly awful although I am learning through my hubby. He is very disciplined!

So c'mon Sass, where is your Sassy Guide to a Good Business?:D

I think there are many newbies and regulars to this site who want to strive for this too. I agree that newbies should not be charging as the more experienced techs but because they are new to the industry, does not mean that they cannot be considered professional!

Unfortunately - by the definition - it means just exactly that ---- they cannot be considered professionals.

We should do like the medical profession and call new ones interns ... interns are not yet professionals. give them 2-3 years and they should be.

In a word,yes !

I have a price list but give reduced rates if i feel they are not up to standard.

I don't have a sitter so working out of school hours is difficult,yet i get "oh please " and end up doing it.

However,this is all going to change,i want to be taken seriously,i want to be great at what i do,i want to be a professional in the true sense of the word.

I think i have just found my news years resolution ! x

Unfortunately - by the definition - it means just exactly that ---- they cannot be considered professionals.

We should do like the medical profession and call new ones interns ... interns are not yet professionals. give them 2-3 years and they should be.

I have to disagree with you on this Geeg. My husband did a five year training as a med student (not 6 because he was exempt for one year). He then sat for his MBCHB (Bachelor of Medicine and Surgery) BEFORE starting his internship. As an intern he was a professional belonging to a professional body! Since then he has grown in experience and knowledge.

As a newly qualified nurse I also became a professional although lacking experience. It did not make me a bad nurse though or incapable of delivering a professional and highly skilled service in a very professional manner.

Many techs receive training be it through college or salon based training center etc...... When they receive their certificates of training and register with a professional body, then there is no reason why they cannot be thought of as professional in their own right. If they are successful in their training and able to now perform a service without supervision then how can they not be considered PROFESSIONAL? Inexperienced yes but this does not make them nonprofessionals.

Let me make myself perfectly clear here. By 'professional' I am referring to fulfilling the required training criteria of your chosen reputable training center whether you leave with a certificate, diploma etc...... and then fullfilling the requirements to become registered with your chosen body for insurance purposes. You then need to perform your services in the professional manner in which you have been taught and trained and progress with further training if you so wish. By all means continue to learn as much as you can about ones chosen profession because learning never stops.

I can stand up for myself, I won't be pushed around, I always aim to give value for money and project a firm but fair facade. Why is it then that I feel somebody isn't 100% happy I have to fight the compulsion to pay them for the privelige of allowing me to do the work !!

I was exactly the same with my soft furnishing business. I have never done it for free, on the cheap ot actually been successfully bullied by a client but only because I am a good actor.

Because I have never knowingly declared a job finished which is below standard I am actually terribly hurt if someone tries to take advantage. God I have made myself sound such a worm - but I hope you know what I mean.

I am far from a pushover and my clients know this I stick to certain hours and my prices are the same for everyone. If I get a complaint I will check it out explain why this has happened to their nails and if I am at fault solve it if not I will do a repair etc but WILL charge and always stick to my guns.

It's so funny how we grow. I remember 19 years ago, I gave stuff away, stayed at the salon 16 hour days, folding towels and cleaning, just IN CASE a client wanted a manicure or a nail repair. I too didn't think my work was up to par. :o After a year of living and breathing nails, I felt much better about my work. At least they weren't falling off anymore, but I have to say I always made them look good even if it took 3 hours. (My first set took 8 hours and fell off 2 days later, but they looked awesome while they were on :D )
Fast forward to now. I own a shop, have an apprentice and am getting ready to charge 100.00 for a full set or pedicure. (I currently charge 85 FS and 60 pedi) I also charge full price if you no show or do not cancel 24 hours in advance. This rarely happens because no one wants to pay for something they didn't get. :sad: If they no show on their first appt, they do no t get back on my book without a CC#.
I am going up higher because I don't want to do pedicures anymore and I want to send some over to the apprentice. I won't take any new clients and if any of mine don't want to pay my new price, they will go to her.
When you know you are a professional, people since this and will treat you as such. There will always be the ones that will test you, but you are here to make money for your family. When someone messes with that you will have no problem standing up for yourself because you are standing up for your family!
Good Luck you will get there, just keep focused and start now making people give you the respect you give them, that is only fair.
:Love:

Congratulations and well done. I followed a similar path. I have to say that after 7 years behind the table and 3 salons plus 8 technicians in the Signature salon, I still worked 14 hour days though.

Like you, I raised my price and figured that if half my clients left me for the other technicians, then I still wasn't loosing any money but only doing half the work. Seemed a cool idea at the time in theory. Trouble is, if that apprentice leaves or is sick or anything else that seems to happen, you are still in the driving seat and must be there and can end up doing even more than usual.

My solution was to leave the salon life completely and go into full time education in my nail academy. It was a good decision for me but even now I can have the odd day where I miss the buzz of the salon. I keep my hand in now with a few clients and teaching and writing for the magazines and occasionally getting asked to do the nails for add campaigns ... oh ... and teaching and helping peeps here on the site which I love to do.

You are right.
My situation is this.
I am moving into skin care. I make much more money in that and am partnering with a doctor so that side of my business is growing very rapidly.
While I have the apprentice, I am still making money on clients that I am not doing anymore or can't do and the apprentice is happy because she is learning and making money also. I have had many, many people(employees) leave me over the years, but I don't forsee her leaving unless something happens in her life that prohibits her working. She knows how hard it is to build a business and in two weeks of taking clients she is already quite busy with my overflow. She also knows my clients will go where I tell them, they would not follow her at this point.
I am so booked that I can't take anymore clients even if I wanted to and I want to take more skin care clients. Thus my solution to up my prices on nails, send the over flow to the apprentice and grow my skincare clientele.
If they go to her and something happens to her then they will either have to pay my price or go somewhere else. I will not work more than the 11 hour days I do now with clients every back to back and no lunch break. I mean let's face it, I have a family who doesn't see me enough now and I am not getting any younger. It is time for me to work smarter not harder! :D

Well good for you . Sounds like you have it sorted out ... or nearly ... a good plan anyway. Hope it all goes how you want it. Sounds like you are in control and not your clients, which is the point of this thread. More technicians should take control.

It's so funny how we grow. I remember 19 years ago, I gave stuff away, stayed at the salon 16 hour days, folding towels and cleaning, just IN CASE a client wanted a manicure or a nail repair. I too didn't think my work was up to par. :o After a year of living and breathing nails, I felt much better about my work. At least they weren't falling off anymore, but I have to say I always made them look good even if it took 3 hours. (My first set took 8 hours and fell off 2 days later, but they looked awesome while they were on :D )
Fast forward to now. I own a shop, have an apprentice and am getting ready to charge 100.00 for a full set or pedicure. (I currently charge 85 FS and 60 pedi) I also charge full price if you no show or do not cancel 24 hours in advance. This rarely happens because no one wants to pay for something they didn't get. :sad: If they no show on their first appt, they do no t get back on my book without a CC#.
I am going up higher because I don't want to do pedicures anymore and I want to send some over to the apprentice. I won't take any new clients and if any of mine don't want to pay my new price, they will go to her.
When you know you are a professional, people since this and will treat you as such. There will always be the ones that will test you, but you are here to make money for your family. When someone messes with that you will have no problem standing up for yourself because you are standing up for your family!
Good Luck you will get there, just keep focused and start now making people give you the respect you give them, that is only fair.
:Love:
I hope your plans work out for you. Sounds fantastic and you are obviously very respected by you clients and staff member. Best wishes.

Latest posts

Back