Do you send Christmas cards if you've had a death in the family?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I lost my Dad this year too.
My Mum signs ALL cards from the both of them!lol.
Maybe a bit odd,but everyone knows what she means.

We are sending cards this year but they are Christmas cards that the Hospice where he died use to fundraise,which is a nice idea.
Karen

Hi Karen

I'm very sorry to hear about your Dad (I've met you a few times at beauty shows and again when I did my CND Brisa training this summer)

Can I ask which hospice he died in?.. was it the one in Harrolds Cross?.. It never occurred to me that I could do that and I'm just wondering if I could get some as that's where my Dad died.

That's such a lovely idea. :hug:

I've found the website for the Irish Hospice Foundation but I'd need Ruth Mills here to give me a hand... I can't work out how to download the order form :irked:

Anyway I'll ring them in the morning and order them

Now I can send out my Hospice cards instead of the usual ones!!

Great idea mrs o

Thanks so much x x x

And thanks again everyone who replied :hug:

Hospice workers are angels on earth. They really helped my family when my brother and my father were ill.

High Hopes, I'm crying over your post. My heart goes out to you! :hug:

High Hopes I've just seen your post... I was crying too much this morning and didn't notice and now I'm off again.

I'm so very very sorry for your loss. No words can help or comfort you. My sister's little baby died when he was 7 months old and we will never forgot him.

I have my user name named after him cause he's a little Angel now:hug:

Thank you :hug: Christmas this year is something we need like a hole in the head! x

I lost my son Joel 8 months old today(dec 11th 1987) from meningitus and buried him on christmas eve,then in 1993 i lost a second son in a road accident Carl aged 7 :cry:
the first Christmas after Joel died was awful but i had to go through the motions for Carl who was still with us at the time, then when Carl died in may 1993,we gave his organs for transplant and that gave us some comfort as i had been through the loss of a child twice and his death saved 7 other kids the next Christmas was hell !! but once again i went through the motions for my son Luke who was 5
I found people avoided me and even lost contact with some good friends as they felt awkward and did nt know what to say
It does get easier as time goes by they are always on my mind,
I have 2 new children now that i would never have had if the boys had not died and I believe it made me a better person,i have made my own sense of it,And the 7 kids that Carl saved,Maybe there parents couldnt have handled it as well as i did if they lost a child who knows ?
I know I am happier now than i have ever been i have 3 lovely kids and a stepson who adore me, and Dawn is the kind of woman i always wanted but never thought i was good enough to have.
I am not the most religeous person in the world but I got a lot of comfort from the bible story of JOB its basically about a man who has everything and loses the lot because God and the Devil are testing him,and in the end He gets it all back tenfold and can see the reason why all the bad times happened :hug::hug::hug:

Steve, I am so sorry for your loss, to loose two children is unimaginable. I am pleased though that you have found happiness and to know that there are people out there alive because of your decision must bring some comfort.

Like yourself I am not a religious person and this Christmas for me is going to be difficult due to a very recent loss. I have told people that I don't want cards or presents for myself as as far as I am concerned I dont want to celebrate Christmas this year. I am however going to do stuff that are completely different to the norm and I will have company of those closest to me near. This for me is enough.

This thread has been very emotional for me personally and I have choked back the tears many times whilst reading it. To everyone out there in this postion I hope Christmas isn't too difficult and I hope you have a much better New Year :hug:

anne xx

When I started this thread, I never imagined we'd hear so many heartfelt stories.

I hope I haven't upset anyone by it, even though, like you Annie I cried all the way through it.

When my little nephew died of Meningitis, I did believe in God but then stopped.

How could God do that?

But I suppose we have to believe things happen for a reason don't we?(otherwise we'd go mad)... my sister has two beautiful children now.

Steve, your story was so moving, thank you so much for sharing it with us all.:hug:

When I started this thread, I never imagined we'd hear so many heartfelt stories.

I hope I haven't upset anyone by it, even though, like you Annie I cried all the way through it. :hug:

I think this is a great thread...it's great to 'talk' about our loved ones and good to know we're not alone in this. We will miss them forever but they will not be forgotten. :hug: to all!

I think this is a great thread...it's great to 'talk' about our loved ones and good to know we're not alone in this. We will miss them forever but they will not be forgotten. :hug: to all!

And a big :hug: back to you.

I rang the Hospice where my Dad died this morning and I ordered my Christmas cards, I should have them on Monday.

Gosh this thread made me cry. I lost my dad ten years ago and my nan last year. I think christmas is not a nice time of year for people going through grief or any kind of hard time. I think as regards to the cards you do what is right for you and your family. If someone doesnt feel like celebrating for their own reasons then that should be respected. Hope that everyones christmas goes ok for you all this year xxxxxx

Every christmas just before we have our dinner i always say a little speech like the Queen lol :) Its about the year weve had,and how weve grown closer as a family and i highlight the kids achievments exam results ,sporting/dancing medals,musical achievments or just trying hard i always mention something positive about each of My 4 surving kids
IT always ends with us raising our glasses to ( The Family all of those lucky enough to be sat round this table and all those that have passed away and will never be forgotten!! ) My kids love it and its become part of the christmas tradition and they all know the last line off by heart:hug::hug:
Its tearfull every year but its respectfull and we all get on with it after that, Its on all of our minds any way the Christmas s we spent with loved ones no longer with us
I felt that bringing it to the table every year was the best way to pay our respects and to get over with and get on with it :hug:

right got a phone call tonight and hubby's uncle has died wot do i send as we were gonna go up with xmas cards. do i take xmas card and sympathy card or just sympathy card and forget xmas card i have wrote????

right got a phone call tonight and hubby's uncle has died wot do i send as we were gonna go up with xmas cards. do i take xmas card and sympathy card or just sympathy card and forget xmas card i have wrote????

I think I'd forget the Xmas Card and stick with a sympathy one... it's a bit raw for them at the moment and you can hardly write Happy Christmas on a card, it just wouldn't feel right when he's only just died.

I like the cards that just say something like "Thinking of you at this sad time"

Sending a Christmas card to a dead relative is good it will make you feel that your dead relative is still alive in your heart. I think I will do it this Christmas I will send a card to my Grandmother who is now on heaven

Firstly I'd like to say sorry for everyones losses. This can be a tough time of year for lots of different reasons but espacially if you've lost someone you share it with.
Between august and november this year our family has lost 3 close family members so its gonna be tough. I know they are watching from above and wanting us to be happy and not feel sad, so thats what i'm gonna try and do.
I have done everything as normal as I feel this is what they would want xx

Latest posts

Back