Do you use a drill?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

~Nic~

Reaction score
I am wondering if you use a drill, if so do you use this all the time or just for infills/backfills??

Hi Hun,
Yes I use a drill, but not all the time, only for taking bulk down on Back Fills, some times don't bother, if product is not too thick then just hand file, nice to have it ready if needed.
Lotsa luv x :hug:

Yes, I use a drill. Mostly for backfills, though. But in the salon I was trained to prep the cuticle area with the drill before applying gel (white block to remove shine and drill w/long&pointy bits for cuticle).

No, I never use one. Great techniques work faster than any drill.

i use electric file and love it, wasn't very confidence at first, but now i have been on 2 courses i feel much better. i did first training in blackpool with young nails also bought file off them. in dec 2007. i mainly use for soak offs to thin right down before i soak, also for re balances. since we started using popits i noticed that they were quite thick so use on popits when they want an infill then infill again with a popit and they are like brand new. i never use on the natural nail, only on acrylic, i don't use on my gel customers either. i know i could manage with out it but it does save me a bit of time. i would definatly get good training then use on your self and a few friends, to build your confidence up. they have had a lot of bad press but i truley believe in the right hands these are a very good tool for a nail tech working back to back with clients all day.
only my opinion hth
janice x

I do use an efile, but only for removing build up and shaping. I use a regular file for prep. I have heard of a bit used for prep called a sciver bit and everyone I know that uses just raves about it. So, I might go totally efile. I will use a hand file if a client ask me to and for now I only have 1 client that does that.

like the others I find it a god send for de bulking on infills especially for popits. which I still love the shape of but have to say its more fun to work a set from scratch. But I digress:lol:
I love my efile for cleaning up under the tip, you know when the clients own nail starts to grow out and looks grubby?
I have a fine grade thin cone shaped file, gentle enough that it doesn't burn the skin on the back of my hand (did that to try it out) but perfect for removing the discolouration with out damaging the finished work. Got it from young nails they say you can use it on the natural nail but to be honest by the time you've mucked about changing drill bits from the one to de bulk with to the one for natural nail use, its quicker to just grab a fine grade hand file and remove shine.
And I'm a product of my training I don't trust a e file on a natural nail, not in anyones hands.

My nail lady in Norway used a metal bit on her efile during the prep of the natural nail and for cleaning underneath. Because I was wary of it she put it to the back of her hand and then mine and I have to say I felt nothing at all. It did a sterling job under my nails and for all the time she used it during prep I still had nice nails underneath when I soaked off for various reasons. Still never been tempted so far to train to use an efile but it sure did seem to cut down on her prep time.

No not even on walls because they are quite dangerous in the wrong hands.
Great if you are trained though I guess...never felt the need tbh x

Someone on here had a great qoute in their signature block: "Its not the tools that hurt people, it's the poeple that use the tools". This is so true when it comes to efiles. Lucky for me, my school brought in an instructor for 2 days to teach us the proper way to use a drill. I also watch instructional videos, just to make sure I'm not missing out on any new drill techniques. Continuing education is a must in this industry...

Someone on here had a great qoute in their signature block: "Its not the tools that hurt people, it's the poeple that use the tools". This is so true when it comes to efiles. Lucky for me, my school brought in an instructor for 2 days to teach us the proper way to use a drill. I also watch instructional videos, just to make sure I'm not missing out on any new drill techniques. Continuing education is a must in this industry...

Good post hun....education is a must. x

well speaking as someone who has been suffering with pain in their hands and wrists for sometime, I was considering getting an e file for rebalancing untill I read that continued use of hand held electrical tools can contribute to carpel tunel.. so decided against it :)

No, I never use one. Great techniques work faster than any drill.

Me neither, geeg. But I have been wondering if it would make my life easier with a french rebalance. Do you have any wisdom in this area using the hand filing technique? I'm sure I can improve. I'd hate to switch to a drill if I can avoid it.

No I don't use one I find that with CND I after application of the acrylic I only need to buff over and finnish .

Ruby

Me neither, geeg. But I have been wondering if it would make my life easier with a french rebalance. Do you have any wisdom in this area using the hand filing technique? I'm sure I can improve. I'd hate to switch to a drill if I can avoid it.

I have done a tutorial here on the site called 'file control during the French rebalance' (I think). I will try to find the link for you and then add it to this post. I hope it helps.

This is the one!

http://www.salongeek.com/nail-finishing-maintenance/14905-forever-french-rebalance.html

well speaking as someone who has been suffering with pain in their hands and wrists for sometime, I was considering getting an e file for rebalancing untill I read that continued use of hand held electrical tools can contribute to carpel tunel.. so decided against it :)

The use of hand held electric tools can also contribute to something called vibration white finger which is where the blood flows away from the fingers due to the continual vibration (i think) and eventually stops flowing back. A lot of construction workers are at risk of developing this but i'm not sure if the vibration level of an e file would be severe enough. The HSE would be able to give some advice on this in terms of exposure levels.

Latest posts

Back