Do you use Nail Pinchers when doing acrylics?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MissJulesBeauty

Reaction score
Hello

I am in need of a bit of help / advise from my lovely fellow geeks.

I have just been watching a nail tutorial from the lovely Gemma Lambert. Gemma used Nail Pinchers on the nails whilst the acrylic was setting I assume for the perfect C curve.

I have never come across this before and wondered just how many of us do this? Is it worth me getting this tool?

Some advise would be great. The link to the vid is below for those who don't know what I am talking about. Cheers

Natural acrylic tip and overlay application

As far as i'm aware this is a really bad idea.. it will cause stress to the natural nail underneath causing discomfort and possible onocholysis... surely its better to sculpt with the brush to creat a beautiful but safe enhancement>

I also don't pinch, I don't see the need.
Pinching is only required in competition nails, and is not really required in the salon.

I have just done my level 2 in acrylics and I was taught to pinch by using the back if the thumb nails pressing at the same time if that make sense. Has said this gives a c curve.

to be honest after watching that video and other ones on that site...there's alot of techniques used which seem a bit outdated and not what i would recommened to my clients..

the main one being using a 180 grit file on a natural nail.... :Scared:

to be honest after watching that video and other ones on that site...there's alot of techniques used which seem a bit outdated and not what i would recommened to my clients..

the main one being using a 180 grit file on a natural nail.... :Scared:

I was thinking exactly the same , Awful !

Thank you guys. This reassures me somewhat. I was thinking of the discomfort of my client too but then was also thinking that Gemma Lambert has a lot more experience than me so found myself doubting logic.

Thanks again for all your replies x

I was always taught by ez flow to use the fox file on the natural nail prior to application which is an 180 grit file, I never had any problems

Young Nails use pinchers and I have just started using their products.
I did my nails this wk and used the pinchers for the first time on myself. I think it's given my nails a better shape to them. I don't know whether it is bad for your nails but YN is not an old company so can't be using outdated techniques and surely they would not recommend using anything that's bad for the nail bed?
They would want the best for nail beds as if I clients nails get ruined they will stop having acrylics therefore we stop buying products..

I was taught to use a 180 grit file also (not thru YN) but when I did my course, then had a nail tech show me what she did and she also used a 180 on the natural nail.
Of course it's used very very gently.

Why be super careful with a 180 grit file when you can use a 240 safely and efficently to remove shine. I was taught, and firmly believe, that using any less than a 240 grit on a natural nail plate will thin out and over time damage the natural nail.

The products I use don't require thinning out or roughing up of the nail prior to application - just simply shine removal. Obviously I can't speak for all brands but this is what I expect from a product.

With regards to pinching. Firstly I think it looks unnatractive. As izzidoll said pinching should be saved for competition nails where a dramatic look is required. Personally I want my enhancements to look as natural as possible.

I'd ask you to just consider for a moment what will be happening underneath the half set L+P when you use the pinching tool? L+P forms a strong chemical bond with the nail plate that is incredibly hard to break...so as you squeeze the product the natural nail will be pinched (and then kept in that shape!) Along with it. I'm sure we've all been taught the same thing - continual trauma to the nail plate will cause onycholysis.

Our duty as nail professionals is primarily to care for the health of the natural nail and secondly to beautify.

I use the 180 carefully on natural nails but I would be gentle with any file. I will take ur advice on and start using a 240 and see if that makes a difference.

As for the pinching, I didnt think mine came out overly fake looking, they are my profile pic so u can judge for urself.
If they do cause trauma to the nail bed then I am shocked that in this day and age a company would train people to use them out of the competition circuit.

Of course I, as everyone else, wants the best for my clients nails, now and in the long term. If using the pinchers will in any way harm my clients nails I will not use them.

I have never thinned out a clients nails when using a 180 grit file have the same clients i been doing since 2004 plus more and there nails are still in good condition!!!
As for pinchers I believe nails looms better when pinched too!! I do this on myself was also taught to do this and never had problems or anyone getting onycholysis. All the companies I done course with including ez flow, opi, nsi and crystal nails taught me those methods. When done professionally and carefully it is done right.

That's great to know snuggles.
Do u use the pinchers on every acrylic client every time?
I think they look better too but as I said I have just used them the once on myself.
It's good to know more than one company uses them.
How long do u leave them on for?
I didnt leave them on long at all but want to use them on my clients as long as they don't cause any trauma over time.

Hi, I am a young nails educator and I just want to assure everyone that when we pinch the nail we don't pinch the area above the nail bed, we pinch just past the free edge of the natural nail on a sculpted nail. There is no damage done to the natural nail and no pain to the client. Jo. Xx

Last edited:
That's great to know snuggles.
Do u use the pinchers on every acrylic client every time?
I think they look better too but as I said I have just used them the once on myself.
It's good to know more than one company uses them.
How long do u leave them on for?
I didnt leave them on long at all but want to use them on my clients as long as they don't cause any trauma over time.

To be honest I don't use pinchers on every single client sometimes i se my fingers or nails. Or sometimes I forget ha!! But the clients I do pinch on always ask me to do it as they now prefer the look so they remind me! I always pinch mine and majority of my clients.
I been lucky enough that Gemma lambert has done my nails before and even though they were stunning before pinching it made all the difference!!

I think this is one of these things, like an efile, if you are trained properly to do it then you will cause no harm.

I personally still don't see the need for pinching in salon nails, and because my own nails are quite thin and weak whenever mine have been pinched then I ended up with onycholysis, that said I have transformed some wide nails by pinching !! I have been shown how to pinch by Georgie Smedley and Anthony Buckley, yet I am still not confident in the technique, and I do think you need to be confident and accurate when doing this!

As for Gemma Lambert, she is an expert at pinching, after all she has won more competitions than most of us have had hot dinners.

You know we always go on (quite rightly) on here about how important good training is but we always tend to be a bit blinkered about our own training, in that we have been taught the RIGHT way therefore other training providers if doing something a little different must be WRONG.
This is not always the case.

As for the 180 grit file, I know Ezflow files and the 180 grit because it is a zebra file with 2 different types of grit paticles on it is actually quite smooth for a 180 and if used gently will just remove shine, no nail tech would use a brand new file for this anyway !

So I see where you are all coming from, but sometimes we should just read what people have to say and maybe find out why they do things that way before we start preaching to them that our way is the only way !!!

Is it Sunday...I felt a little Amen coming on there :rolleyes:

Hi kittensgotclaws
Thank u, I was hoping an educator would jump in here and let us know..
Can u pinch a nail that has a tip and then acrylic over the tip? As in a rebalance?

Last edited:
I also don't pinch, I don't see the need.
Pinching is only required in competition nails, and is not really required in the salon.

Hi, why is it required on competition nails?

Hi, why is it required on competition nails?

I'm not 100% as I've never competed but I read somewhere that the c curve on competition nails has to be 50%.. ?
Feel free anyone who has done competition nails to correct me.

So I see where you are all coming from, but sometimes we should just read what people have to say and maybe find out why they do things that way before we start preaching to them that our way is the only way !!!

Is it Sunday...I felt a little Amen coming on there :rolleyes:

Tis a good point, and good fodder for a sunday ponder :)

Latest posts

Back