Do you use shop bought varnish

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nailquueen

Reaction score
Do any of you buy or use nail varnish i.e from boots in the salon.I have seen the new Revlon 60Min varnish on the T V:green:.Would you have a go & then if its ok use it in the salon?Or is that cheap looking?

I dont personally as i think the client may think i can buy that myself and do my own nails and i also hate it when they produce their own varnish for me to use its always gunky!!!

I think it looks more professional if you are using a professional brand. Not only that, but if a client likes the colour, you will get an extra bit of money from a sale.

I have the Orly manicure miniatures and the Spa Ritual collection in my salon so there is a good choice for everyone. My older clients love the Spa Ritual Colours and my younger clients and pedicure clients love how bright the Orly colours are. Because the Orly colours are a little cheaper because of their small bottles, it means that even the young clients I get (children with their mum) tend to buy it with their pocket money.

I used to use nail polish from my own collection when I very first started out, but I think it can look a little amateurish. That is just my opinion though, some geeks may swear by using their own polish.

Natalie
xx

I don't use high street products in my salon base. I like the products I use and like to be able to offer a professional opinion and service to my clients.
I also used my own when I first started until I built up my Creative colours.
Now I would never go back.....

I wouldnt use them in the salon, I think clients would prefer to be getting a professional (not avail to general public) product.

This is proving expensive for me setting up but im sure its the right thing to do.

And theres the retail value.

Champagne x

i would never use OTC products on clients, its just not professional IMHO, and you cannot retail anything to them, if they can go and buy it themselves in boots or superdrug

when i first trained our college tutor told us to go and buy rimmel or no17 as it was just as good as the salon stuff!!! but i refused, I had to use OPI and china glaze as its all my local wholesaler stocked, but still managed to retail some OPI, now i use creative enamel and my clients love it

i really think it has to be professional prodcuts, look at this way, if you went to your hairdresser and she washed you hair, with dove or sunsilk, then used insette mousse on you, how would you feel? i think this is the same for us hun

hths xxx

I was thinking this the other day when I was in boots but only because this particular make had a really lovely looking purple colour, but I think for the salon its so much better to stick to 'professional' brands xx

You look more professional with a professional product at the end of the day. We stock creative, jessica and have some mavala and allessandro left from a while ago.

Absolutely never do I use consumer product in the salon.

Man there have been so many 60 second polishes over the years and NONE of them dry in 6O seconds. The only one I ever tried which was close was so dull and horrible when dry that I would never have used it anyway.

women get taken in all the time with promises of quick drying polish ... POLISH is PAINT and enamel paint does not dry quickly ... not if it is going to be glossy and shiny and protective.

i never use a polish that has come from a shop
i always use opi or orly and now creative polish, they are all brilliant

Do any of you buy or use nail varnish i.e from boots in the salon.I have seen the new Revlon 60Min varnish on the T V:green:.Would you have a go & then if its ok use it in the salon?Or is that cheap looking?

When I started out five years ago I used shop-bought, I would just buy any colour I thought was beautiful . . . and to be honest, I don't think anybody minded, they just loved having so many lovely colours to choose from! But tbh, I do think it looks more professional to use a range that is not freely available to the public. I know I would consider it to be so. I now use just OPI.

Years ago before i trained i went to a salon to have my nails done and she had a whole collection of Constance Carrol nail enamels....I remember thinking to myself that they must be quite good if she uses them....till it chipped off 2 days later...:lol:

Trouble was, with a decent base and top coat, most of the cheaper polishes stayed perfect for a good fortnight.

Still better to use a professional range though, whatever the performance is like :green:

The only shop bought polish I DO use is Chanel Rouge Noir - not cause I think its a fab polish but because I had SOOOO many clients request it so I gave in and they were so chuffed! :irked:

But 99% of the time I use professional only :)

I again would never use an o.t.c enamel....for starters....retail is a good profit maker and also.
hairdressers....pulling out a box colour from a high street shop to colour your hair
therapists ...... doing a facial using a brand we can put in our trolleys whilst shopping.
we wouldnt accept it ....its same for nail enamels.

Years ago before i trained i went to a salon to have my nails done and she had a whole collection of Constance Carrol nail enamels....I remember thinking to myself that they must be quite good if she uses them....till it chipped off 2 days later...:lol:
Constance Caroll, lmao, didnt they used to do makeup aswell, Im sure they did, dead cheap like £1 for foundation and powder lol!!

xxxx

I agree tha we should be using professional products my favourite is OPI nut unfortunately they also sell them at Sallys and most of my clients know that you can as a non professional buy products there so bang goes retailing to them:rolleyes:

Kate xxx

I agree tha we should be using professional products my favourite is OPI nut unfortunately they also sell them at Sallys and most of my clients know that you can as a non professional buy products there so bang goes retailing to them:rolleyes:
The best thing to do in that case (IMO) would be to use and retail a brand that can't be bought OTC by your clients, whether it be a high street store or a suppliers who sells to the public.

By using a salon exclusive product you have the opportunity for retail and if they like the product and it lasts well (like high end professional brands do) then they will buy from you instead of spending their money elsewhere.

I now only use OPI in my salon and two of my clients bring their own (Chanel - they love it - can't say I like using these polishes as the lids are awkward to hold!!), but their choice.

When I was mobile I used to have a huge selection of both pro and otc polish. Have kept all the non OPI polish as sometimes a client will want a specific colour that I don't have in OPI and for those occasions they can still prove useful. They sit in a cupboard out of sight and only come out if they have specific colour in mind that I know I have in my magic cupboard. Only used them a couple of times since but client goes away happy. Only downside is can't retail them, but if they are a regular I let them take it away on their hols or for special event for if they get a chip and then they return it to me. They love this little extra bit of customer service. I know there's no money in it but it all goes to happy clientele.

OOOOOH I remember Constance Carol doing those lovely fruity & spearmint rollerball lipgloss's always had one in my school bag lol

Showing my age now x

Latest posts

Back