Does anyone else feel like this ?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

opal

Reaction score
hi geekies
im coming up for 32 (eeeeek) and i want to learn so much , i never had the confidence to go for the beauty industry as i thought i was too pudgy and not pretty enough ! now im older my views on me have changed alot but i really wish i had done all the training that i now want to do when i was 18 i could really kick myself sometimes
Now im am trying to decide if its worth me doing the diffrent acpects that i think i would love or would it be better and cheaper in the long run to do a beauth therapy course if i did all the courses would i still be considered a beauthy therapist ??
i wreally want to do hairdressing as well
i should have done iwhile young no kids and single
its such a shame that when i was young i wouldent listen and just wanted a job earn money and party hard lol
dose anyone else somtimes feel like this
xx

I have only trained in nails and tanning so could not advise on courses I'm afraid.

I trained to do nails at the age of 50 and have no regrets at all. I am not at all glamourous and really don't look the part but this isn't at all important I have come to realise. HTH

Adele,

You look pretty glam to me in that picture sipping cocktails by the pool.

xxx

hi Adele
its really great that you trained when you did. i think when i was younger i really had issues with me and how i looked now i know that im not a shrek lookalike and im not going to be harpooned on a beach i think confidence just comes with age !
im still young but just not young enough to get my courses paid for and if i had done them when i was younger i would have had at leat 12 years of experience behind me
sometimes i wish i could scream at the 16yrold version of me-if only they invented time travel lol

oooh Adele ive just had a peek at your profile you do look pretty snazzy buy the pool a glam nail techie indeed !
xx

If you are really want to do it hun then just go for it. If you do a level 2 beauty therapy course it will help you build up your confidence about being a therapist too. You could then move on to level 3 beauty therapy and/or hairdressing.
I have never regretted doing the training i have and at the end of the day if you find you don't feel it's for you then you will of atleast learnt new skills.

You sound like you need a little push :lol: Go for it you'll love it and you're never to old :hug:

go for it,youre never too old to train in what you want and will you enjoy it ,besides looks arent important but presentation is, stop criticising youre own looks,believe me everyone has faults,even the beautiful model types (egos and personalitys)
Im no oil painting,but being presentable and knowledgable are important,dont worry go for it :).
Im 40 and started a nail course in sept 07,with no looking back,its ace

Adele,

You look pretty glam to me in that picture sipping cocktails by the pool.

xxx

oooh Adele ive just had a peek at your profile you do look pretty snazzy buy the pool a glam nail techie indeed !
xx

You are very kind......but blind - not that it matters. It does sometimes take time to be comfortable in your own skin but regrets are pointless.

Part of me wishes I had done it when I was younger (before my hair went white, with better eyesight and less wrinkly hands) but at least I'm doing what I love now and that is what is important.:lol:

lol @blind no i am not ! lol you look very approacable and i do find that some within the beauty industury do look quite intimidating
im 31 and 50 of my hair is grey if i dont dye my roots every 4-6 wks i look like a granny !am trying to resist going blond as i love being a brunette
the main reason for me deciding to go with hair an beauty is that i want to be mobile so that i can spend time with my kids through the holidays not have to fret about childcare too much and to not find that they have grown up and left me with time on my hands and no career
i can work around my angels/devils in disguise (sp?)
thanks for the encouragement :hug:

Hi, I started training when I was 30, with 3 kids and a part time job. I don't regret waiting until I was a bit older I wanted different things in my teens and had no confidence (I was no good at school as I'm dyslexic ) in my abilities or looks. Its been perfect for me to do once I was a bit older, now I'm more comfortable in my own skin. Having said that it hasn't been easy paying for it all or juggling work, training and family but I love it and don't regret it.
Go for it!

i was forty when i first started training - i also went on and done the beauty courses at college - im now 50 (in november) and find that alot of clients PREFER an older therapist - they seem to think (in my area anyway) that the young girls - just out of college (there view, not mine) dont seem to care enough about clients, whereas the more mature ones have more passion, and experience with life etc.

dont let you age stop you flower - if its what you want to do - then DO IT -otherwise youll regret it for the rest of your life and be constantly thinking to yourself - IF ONLY

Everyone is right if you want it go for it.:)
I am 37yrs old, 5 children disabled hubby and I started college in september 07 and finish in 2 weeks:eek:. I am loving every minute of it and I thought I would never find a job I love. So don't let anything stop you doing what you want.:hug:

Im 52 next month and just passed my Gel course, have other courses coming up, I to thought I would be to old to train, but believe me its true.. your never to old ... and this site is the best for help and encouragement, always keeps you going, cause we have all been there in some way or another. so plenty of support.. you go for it chick :hug:

I am 44yrs of age and proud of having just completed CIBTAC Beauty Therapy. I am definitely not the smallest or petitest person on earth (to put it mildly :lol:) and managed to juggle busy family of hubby and two kids whilst achieving my goal.

Loved every minute ans have not one regret. Go for it :hug:! Don't have more regrets in years to come.

alot of clients PREFER an older therapist
Exactly what I was going to say. You could have finished your course the day before and have no experience but clients will think that you are going to be fantastic because of your age.

In instances like this, age is definately on your side.

Totally agree with Peter Pan here.

I came out of college at 18 and got my first beauty job. What a nightmare it was to build a clientel.

The clients were all over 30 and I could NOT relate to them but did my best and very slowly built a small clientel.

I'm 35 now and every client I get - they always come back to me.

Looking back - I understand now why it was difficult. My clients in my first job were mature, sophisticated ladies whereas I was just a young giggly girl who loved getting tanked up every weekend with my pals.

So at 32 your a great age to get started.

Go for it.

xx

I passed my vtct level 2 in nail technology and level 2 in nail treatments at collage last year. I am 39 now with two children one starting collage herself next year, and a little boy just starting school in september! Bless!!

I love the working in the nail industry, I as you wish I had done my training at a younger age but due to circumstances could not do that.

I am waiting for my little one to start school, get settled and I am going to see if I can fit the whole beauty course in to my schedule.

I'm loving this part of my working life although I am building things up slowly and could do with more clients. Life is good.:lol:

I'm 32 in 2 weeks and I've only just started and I almost regret not doing it when I was 18 and had finished school, but not quite. I have had an enormous amount of life experience, I have worked with horses, dogs, tiny bit with kids (never again!) in Waitrose, at the cinema, at millions of things and it has taught me how to deal with people, something I would never have been able to do if I'd gone straight into it from school! You may have had 12 years experience of beauty by now but instead you have 12 years of life experience that you wouldn't have had otherwise and that is invaluable! IMO. Good luck and go for it! Lx:)

I was 39 when I started training in Beauty and by no means am I a glam person at all. The job has nothing to do with being beautiful or slim or glam.

If you want to do it go for it.

There are plenty of colleges that do courses you just have to look for them.

Part of me wishes I had done it when I was younger (before my hair went white, with better eyesight and less wrinkly hands) but at least I'm doing what I love now and that is what is important.:lol:

I started last year age 52 ( don't know about the grey hair, dye it blond) and love every minute i'm doing nails. Yes i wish i'd done it earlier but i'm doing it now and looking forward to the future with more courses and building my clientele. i would encourage anyone of any age to go for it, you are never to old to learn...xx

Latest posts

Back