Does anyone else feel like this ?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I dont think there is a limit for when you should have done things or not start them anymore!!!!

Don't we all have moments when you look back at a younger you and think "god was I naive then"....even just 10 years back when I thought I had a pretty good clue of things.......looking back at that now with the experience we have you think you didnt have a clue!

I personally think it is a good thing because if you would have done it all when you were younger - would you have turned out what you are now?
The road you have taken might have been a detour but I dont think you would have come to the same results with 18!

Now you know what you want and you are willing to go for it with full determination - dont let anyone stop you! I think it doesnt matter at what time of our lifes we find what gets us going and keeps us happy as long as we find it!!!

Go for it with your full heart and make it work so it can make you happy!

couldn't agree more with the above and being an older therapists and going for training ...i was same in college the ladies would come in and ask for a more mature therapist .the short pun of what you,ve done and experianced through your life... seen that, done that ,got the t-shirt , your never to old do anything you want to achieve in your life ...go for it girl ...i was 39 when i started doing beauty therapy did level 2 then went onto do level 3 am now 41 and still booking myself for courses and training ..looks are not important i don't see myself as a looker or glamorous a bit mad on make-up and fashion lol but on the whole i just like being me (what you see is what you get)its the expertise and knowledge that matters as well as the passion to perform such wonderful treatments ...my clients boosted my confidence with letting me know how good and caring i was ..makes ur day and i don't regret it..:)

VTCT L2 BEAUTY THERAPIST
VTCT L3 HOLISTIC THERAPIST
VTCT IHBC L2 NAIL ARTIST/TECH
STUDEX CERT EAR PIERCING
VTCT L3 DIP HEALTH,SAFETY,SECURITY & EMPLOYMENT STANDARDS

" if you don't use it..you'll lose it "

Last edited:
thanks everyone :) ive had a really bad week , had not checked for new replys on this thread and have just eaten a whole packet of biscuits ( gave some to my little girl oh and one to the dog to make me feel less greedy)
but now reading through your replys i have to say its really nice to hear that you have mostly started later in life and have all taken the time to read my post and reply
you have all made me smile :hug:
thank you

I have just completed my NVQ Level 2 in hairdressing, iam 49 years old, it is something I had always wnated to do, but life took over.
I am so glad I did it, it was hard work but now I have a whole new career, its never to late to learn!!

Good Luck

Hi!

My advice is go for it!!! After years of doing a job that bored me to tears i finally decided at the tender age of 35(+ 2 kids) to take the plunge and train as a beauty therapist (something i always wanted to do but had never the opportunity or courage to) i did my level 2 in one year 2 nights per week and i am now qualified Yeepee!!! I have started to do few treatments on a mobile basis and i am loving it!

If you have to work for the next 30 odd years it may as well be doing something you love. :)

Hi I am 43 and worried about returning back to beauty for these reasons. I did train when I was 18 and worked for a long time but I did wonder whether I was now 'past it' and that I am not as glam as I was all those years ago. However when I was younger I worried that people thought that I wasted opportunities and only 'painted nails for a living' as I was in the top sets at school. This reasoning eventually got me studying for a degree but I still came back to beauty.

I think the only barriers are the ones we put up ourselves - go for what you really want to do. There are a lot of people reinventing themselves these days and as long as you are trained properly and are professional I do not see any barriers other than self-confidence. Forget about the negative opinions of others - real or imagined. :)

Go for it!! If you dont in a few years you will find yourself thinking "why didnt i do it then when all those lovely geeks were telling me too"!! hehe Honest tho, I really was just thinking the same today, I wish I knew what an amazing industry it is then when I left school but i didnt but im doing it now. My mum never got chance to be a hairdresser when she was 16 cos of her parents wanting her to stay home but when she was 42 she went and trained and she was so happy!! You want it so go out there and just take it. xxx

I have been doing beauty things for my older sister and her friends from the time I was crawling (slight exaggeration) and eventually I did a degree in psychology. Then I did my beauty therapy course and my first impression was wow this is brilliant. Then I decided to be a beauty hostess and do treatments on a plane but I found out that I was too old and whey over the age limit :cry::cry: but now I am really contented with where I am and would not change it for the world :):) lol

This is all very encouraging. I've only been doing nails for just under one year and really enjoy it. I decided to apply to college for NVQ 2 in hairdressing and have been accepted. If I do level 3 afterwards, I'll be 53 by the time I'm qualified and I've been chatting to local hairdressers about it.

What bothers me is that although my age doesn't seem to count against me with nails, they seem to think that it would with hair? Can anyone throw any light on this and why or if there is such a difference, please? :irked:

i am 26 so yes i am still young and i started when i was 22... but i am also a large girl... but you will find ppl dont always look at the way you look (size and beauty) they look at your confidence first if you appear happy and cheery and confident in yourself that will override everything else... ofcourse there will be a few ppl out there who are snobs....a few weeks back a girl ring up (spoke to one of my collegues) wanting to rebook.... but couldnt remember my name just said the pretty one... now the other 3 girls i work with in my eyes are alot prettier than me not only that ALOT slimmer than i am... but she meant me:lol:... and when i was told this it boasted my confidence more so in myself so we are our own worst critiques...

now on the training side of things i also work in a salon that is mainly a beauty school... and i find half the students that we get in are over 30 have even had a few in their 50's... and you will also find alot of clients are more comfortable in therapist that aint little barbie dolls but normal flesh and blood human flaws and all...

Personally, thinking back to before I ever had any involvement at all with the beauty industry as a whole, whenever I visited a salon for anything I wasn't interested anywhere near as much in what the therapist looked like as her ability to do what I wanted. If she could do that, the thing I was paying her to do, I was happy and would return.

I guess that my only slight gripe would have been if I had someone very young doing my hair, they would occasionally grate a little because of their line of chat. I was still ok with it, though, as long as I emerged with what I'd gone in there for, so it was no big deal.

Without exception my clients tell me that they much prefer an older, more "human" therapist. Indeed, one of my clients switched to me because the therapists at her old salon were too young, too inexperienced at life in general, and had a questionable work ethic. She said she didn't feel comfortable talking to a girl young enough to be her daughter, and looking as if she'd had no sleep the night before!
I shall be 45 in August and until March this year was an RGN, an IT Project Manager and an IT Programme Manager.
You're never too old!

I did question if I was too old a while back, I started my training at 37 and am contemplating a CND conversion now I'm 40 and who knows beyond that. I just think of my very glam nail tech in Norway who was over 40 when I met her and looks just a fab today. Then look at Glynis and Adelle, Geeg to name but a few of our glam Geeks on here and see nothing but inspiration. It certainly puts to bed my Mum rolling her eyes with 'at your age' comments. At my age it seems to me its all ahead of me if I want it to be!

I might actually prefer a more mature tech like myself, I'm thinking back to sitting listening to Marit and her many broken hearts and then sitting with Anne Vera and having a chuckle about who we lusted after in LOTR's and our lives in general with much more in common than I usually had with techs over the years. In general though if some one does what I needed doing and does it well I dont mind if they are 18 or 50, it's just the line of conversation that can be a bit more of a two way thing the older they are :lol:

its funny but i dont actually think that the older therapist/nail tech/hairdresser can inspire more confidence from the client as if i need a beauty treatment the young skinny prety but miserable person who would be doing said treatment would put me right off and if i see and older one im more likely to think wow they obviously know what there doing
i also dont want to offend all the youg pretty and slim therapists im sure your all lovely soem however are not as friendly as they could be
i have really thought about this and have started looking into courses that i can do in the evenings
thanks for allllllllllllllllllllllll the kind words and support alot of lovely people on here:hug:
xx

Latest posts

Back