Does this site, Salon Geek, need an update?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
No one forum is going to have everything every individual wants can you imagine what a complex long drawn out site it would be..there would simply be to many options :eek:

Of course individuals have the right to join whichever one they wish and even more than one if that's what they want.

Likewise there is nothing wrong with individuals using a forum to feel they have the freedom to put ideas forward to the site owners which they might feel could benifit said site and its users but remember it is likely that fresh ideas are ones already previously tried and tested.

What IMO isn't quiet right is to post on one forum the positive benefits of a rival forum and suggest that the forum on which is used for the posting look to change its ways to the rival one....if you understand what I mean:hug:

What is rather frustrating is that most of the members of the new rival forum have been ...well erm ...poached from this one or at least private PM's have been used to get members across or from postings such as this one...not suggesting the site owner for a minute but without this forum the new one wouldn't have any members :eek:

Sorry but whilst im one for freedom of choice im am however not entirely convinced on some of the ethics here...its a bit like standing outside your competitors salon with a sandwich board enticing their customers over to use your salon because it "has better features"...what you are effectively doing is nicking customers.

Any business or forum needs its customers or users but its not quiet right to stand by the entrance with your sandwich board ...if you want to attract customers..that's fine...but do it correctly...pay for adverts.:idea:

Sorry guy's might be wrong but that's JMO :irked:

Happy geeking :hug:

I am SICK to death of the amount of people using this site to try and entice people to use their business. When I first joined a few years ago the only business promotion going on was each others salons now its training, products, design etc. etc. I am so bored of it (and i know of others who feel the same)

I can almost see the sharks circling when a question on training, waxing, certain products are posted. I wish it could go back to the times when the only links going on were to our personal websites of nails, beauty etc. I know times have changed but thats my opinion.

Here is the crux of the most time consuming portion of the moderators time and the reason why the rules that exist do (and why many companies get irritated over our 'over policing').

A community is a spirit of giving and sharing without the objective of getting something in return. That spirit is at direct odds with Company Reps that come on here with the objective of getting business from starting, hijacking and/or manipulating threads to their own means. The moderators deal with these issues constantly. Some abusers are harder to pin down than others, but we eventually get them in the end :)

Why should we bother? Because I sure as hell don't want to come here and get a bunch of spam or have professional discussions twisted and manipulated so I can be someones cash cow. Personally, I am glad that there are now alternatives for this site and its rules. It makes it easier to refer someone :D

To address your last post Steve:

We have a section for articles and tutorial where you can post Educational information (including auto embedded videos). But sadly, we won't let you post your commercials.

And Steve, your public apology is pretty pants when you follow it up with your 'but'. Especially calling it SalonGeek the equivalent to a back comb bar. I'll give you a better analogy. SalonGeek.com would be the highly successful, busy salon filled with countless successful professionals which would be in contrast to your winning vision of all fur coat and no knickers salon with no clientèle and a lack of real professionalism. I suppose that would be nirvana for a company trying to tout its wares.

So Steve, congratulations on reaching nirvana. I am thrilled for you. I don't see any more reason for you to visit the blue rinse site, so I suppose maybe one day, we will see you return once I get to grips with installing the music player (man I'm getting a lot of mileage out of that one).

Don't let the back button hit you on the way out.

TTFN

I like the format of this site. Nice to look at.

I would just suggest a Tanning Geek as there are so many tanning questions in the Skin Geek.

I'd also love video tutorials. The tutorials are great but sometimes I get a little lost. These could be an extra feature for premium geeks or another level like Platinum Geek.

I would absolutely love that.
Posted via Mobile Device

I like the format of this site. Nice to look at.

I would just suggest a Tanning Geek as there are so many tanning questions in the Skin Geek.

I'd also love video tutorials. The tutorials are great but sometimes I get a little lost. These could be an extra feature for premium geeks or another level like Platinum Geek.

I would absolutely love that.
Posted via Mobile Device
The articles and tutorials section is getting a major overhaul in the next update :)

....I would just suggest a Tanning Geek as there are so many tanning questions in the Skin Geek.....

Posted via Mobile Device

We did look into the likes of this but then we would need to have waxing geek, eye lash geek etc. etc. where would it end.

ok i take the music player bit back it was a stupid idea lol !! but i would love somewhere i could link the folding tent video!! or cleaning a spray tan gun/ a spray tan training video ect
or for salons to sell stuff to each other
As you are a newbie I suggest you take the time to look around the site properly and learn how it works.
It is indeed possible to link video's etc... we have many tutorials and articles that prove it!

Here's one - http://www.salongeek.com/beauty-tutorials/90874-how-erect-dismantle-spray-tan-tent-easy-way.html

i had 24 pm s the other night if there was a chat window it would be so much easier
Only 24? :lol: Thank your lucky stars you're not a mod!

as geekmaster i respect you are runing the show and it is your site and all was suggesting was do people want a fresher snappier appearance to the site sounds like they dont!! if i have upset/insulted you i give you a heart felt public apology
but( here comes the double edged sword) if this sites appearance was a salon it would be back combing and blue rinse for philys and gladys :):)
How can you say that you're giving a heartfelt public apology yet go on to insult AGAIN with your back combing and blue rinse comment?
(Which, for the record, I feel is a totally arse-like comment in itself)

You've got it so very wrong Steve... take a step back and look at the whole picture here and do you know what, if you don't like the site how it is then the answer is simple isn't it... go elsewhere!
Oh no, I just remembered, you won't go elsewhere because there isn't another salon professionals website community as big or as popular as this one so you won't be able to 'reach' as many potential customers.

I joined the other site recently out of curiosity - as you do. Just been on and had a look again - there is no one online - everytime i've looked, there's never anyone on. It's early days for it i guess.

Personally, I'll be spending all my time here, I like it here, I have learned loads from being a member here. Also, I like the layout it's comfortable for me:lol:. I don't want to listen to music when I'm concentrating on here, I guess that's my age!!!

I have been a member on the fab site for over 5 years and love it.

I'm not bothered about a chat room - there's other places on t'internet you can open another window for that & still geek too.

We did look into the likes of this but then we would need to have waxing geek, eye lash geek etc. etc. where would it end.

Well I don't know about everyone else, but I think over half of the threads is the Skin Geek relate to tanning. I think if you were to take tanning out you'd still have a good mix.

I'm not a skin geek, yet, but if I were i'd be happy reading everything else, (waxing, lash/brow tinting, facials, massage) in one forum and tanning separate. JMO. :green:
Posted via Mobile Device

As the other half of Nouvatan, I would like to put my opinion on here on this thread. My view of Salon Geek is a good one and I love it and am very thankful to it for its forums and knowing what the 'real, genuine' users want from their providers. I do not want to be know as a 'shark' waiting to pounce, as I am very concerned if people have been oversold as I was when I first started 7 years ago( not by anyone on this website)
So I guess the moral of this story is that sometimes we dont agree with our partners opinion. And trust me its soup for the rest of the week!!! and other depts(if you get my drift) are closed:mad:

I would like to leave you with this analogy. An Afghan woman was asked 'After all these years of trying to get rights for women improved, why do you still chose to walk 4 steps behind your husband?'
The woman replied quite matter of fact and said.......... landmines!!!

Behind every man is a great woman!!! xxxx

ok ok it was out of order about the back comb bar and i take it all back i do have a very scarcastic sense of humour !! i am very sorry dawn my mrs and boss has gone skitz about this thread i am well and truly in the dog house :cry::cry::cry::cry: sam i am new to these forums and i did nt know other sites had popped up in the past and maybe i was sucked in/ seduced myself as said its obvious there is nothing wrong with this forum as it is and i should of kept my beek out

I only joined because the sites 'owner' has the same username as one of my friends on here and I thought it was her new business website it was only after I joined I realised it wasn't, wonder how many other people fell for that.

Yeah, I thought it was Beautyguru on here who was running the Tweet site too. So apparently not then!
Posted via Mobile Device

Yeah, I thought it was Beautyguru on here who was running the Tweet site too. So apparently not then!
Posted via Mobile Device

Me too, that's why I joined x

just another thing in my defence i have always been totally open open with the fact that i am a distributor even in my choice of screen name i just liked the look of the other site!! i promise i will never mention its name again!! lol its like been a city fan in the stretford end if only i had known what a can of worms i was opening

Sorry if I am being thick now but isnt Salongeek designed and dedicated to offering support, advice and help to professionals and those who want to become therapists?

Arent the words spoken on this site, the actual help of peeps and the general feel more important than any looks?

Salongeek has helped so many peeps whether its professional advice, personal support, friendship and much more.....and its this and the peeps / mods that make the site nothing else!

Posted via Mobile Device

According to website registration it is our very own number1kitty

The difference to this site and "others" is IMO like reading The Telegraph/Guardian or The News of the World....

I love that we can easily find lost of great threads without having to shift through countless advertising spam....I love that I don't get pounced on by people trying to ram their products down my throat when I ask for opinions.

If other sites want to be used as a free ride for advertising then thats fine for them....but I'll sit and wait for the rules to start changing on other sites when it all gets to heavy and they can no longer cope with the amount of "reps" trying to out do each other.

Music player....??? is that what really makes a professional site better than another....:lol:

The only whistles and bells i want are the ones we have....the ones that make connecting with members...posts...threads...easier....ones that make my using experience better....ones that make navigating the site simpler....WE HAVE ALL THOSE !!

I can get to where i want to be on this site within a second....they are the whistles and bells that I appreciate.

It seems like the only ones who whine about the rules on here are those who wish to break them....(the ones who want to advertise FOC and push their products down people's throats)....People with no hidden agenda who simple come on here to share, learn and help others never seem to mind the rules and understand why they are in place.

I think some people would get along much better on SalonGeek.com if they finally realised what this site is about....and stopped trying to make this site what they want it to be about.

ok ok it was out of order about the back comb bar and i take it all back i do have a very scarcastic sense of humour !! i am very sorry dawn my mrs and boss has gone skitz about this thread i am well and truly in the dog house :cry::cry::cry::cry: sam i am new to these forums and i did nt know other sites had popped up in the past and maybe i was sucked in/ seduced myself as said its obvious there is nothing wrong with this forum as it is and i should of kept my beek out

Nothing wrong with voicing an opinion or question but hurling sarcastic abuse is pretty low .. especially as you are a newcomer and really have no right.

Seems to me I also read that you called this site so biased on the other forum in practically your first post there ... makes me doubt the sincerity of your apology in all honesty .... it also makes me think that you have achieved what you set out to achieve in your original post .. which I will keep to myself.

Time and the quality of your contributions here will tell if you have been sincere or not.

Last edited:
The articles and tutorials section is getting a major overhaul in the next update :)

erm...I was wondering Samuel .....if you would find it in your heart as part of your overhaul revamp that you would kindly consider creating a DIY section...:idea::eek::lol::hug:

OH and as to salon tweet owner...I was more than aware it was likely that it was indeed number1kitty :rolleyes:

......just a feeling in the old plumbing or was it this thread that lead to the leaking plumbing http://www.salongeek.com/chit-chat/98928-salon-tweet.html :wink2:
...now that its ownership is fully confirmed ..that's one member gone :hug:

Last edited:
According to website registration it is our very own number1kitty
Correct!

The following information is available for everyone to see, if they look in the right place :wink2:

http://thespraytanshop(dot)com/links.aspx

WHOIS Results for salontweet.com

Registrant:
ethos
xx xxxxxxxx xxxxx
xxxxxxxx xxxxx xxxxxx
wigan, lancashire WN6 xxx
GB

Domain name: SALONTWEET.COM

Administrative Contact:
camilleri, katherine skinpro(at)live(dot)co(dot)uk
xx xxxxxxxx xxxxx
xxxxxxxx xxxxx xxxxxx
wigan, lancashire WN6 xxx
GB
I've removed the phone numbers and address for obvious reasons.

It is most definitely not run by our very own Beauty Guru (aka Gabi).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back