Doing fills on gels...e-file, or no?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Perfected

Reaction score
I know most gels are easy to file, and therefore not too hard to file by hand. Say you have a client that had some lifting with the gels. Filing by hand you can get most of the lifted area off, but I find there is a hairline of lifting left that seems impossible to file off. I recently did a refill on myself and found that this hairline pretty much disappeared after I "scrubbed" the gel on the nail.

How about you? Do you use an e-file on gels? I suppose if you use an e-file for acrylics, it would feel natural to do so with gels too. My thing is this: I work in a spa, a quiet environment. Sometimes there are massages just on the other side of the wall (although not often.) Most people who care about their nails around here are scared of e-files because of NSS and their horrendous methods of mutilating the natural nail.

What do you think? Is there anyone who does a gel fill without an e-file? Have any tricks and tips? I am not against using an e-file, just curious of my options. :)

Also, how have you noticed difference in timing with or without an e-file?

The misconception that e-files are bad is so out of context. There is nothing wrong with using an e-file if used properly, with education and practice. It can be used w/o causing damage to the client's nails and can make your time more effecient.

As far as your location, there could be some issues you may need to address with the owner. I don't believe the e-file by itself makes that much noise to bother someone in another room. I would be more concerned about the dust you are going to have airborn from using an e-file on gels, especially file off gels. There will be a lot of dust. The best way to handle this is using a vacuum system with the e-file, which can be very noisy.

Not sure this answered your question, but hopefully gave you a different perspective on using an e-file and using one with gels. :)

Yeah. I don't mind hand filing, especially since gels are so easy to file. My only concern is not cutting the client when I hand file (no problems so far) and getting that edge. Perhaps I could use the tip of a ruby file (pink stone file) to go arount the lifted hairline. I just don't like using a regular file to continuously go over such a small area for risk of also filing the natural nail. I noticed this when I was doing my own, and didn't like it. I'm still in the learning phase with gels and had some lifting due to getting it on the skin. :rolleyes:

Do you strip your files before use?

Cutting a client with an e-file is very preventable. There are a great many bits out there that are designed to not cut. The key to this is getting the right bit to do the right job. I use a bit that is very rounded and cone shaped. It is specifically designed to be used around the cuticle area, etc. So ensuring you use the right bit is key.

And in agreement with Anna, filing the edges off your new file will reduce the chance of cutting into the client when hand filing.

Do you strip your files before use?

No, and I haven't seemed to need too yet...as I've just been doing nn manis/pedis. We use the throw away files. If I start doing gels in the salon, I'll probably request disinfectable files for the gels. I like some of the more angled files for that.

Although drills may be safe touse in educated hands ... the public perception of them is not positive. Clients IN THE UK at any rate recoil from them .. at the top end of the market they do anyway :lol:

I have a drill .. i learned to use it from a noted teacher .. i HATE it .. AND it is a bloody good one too .. I hate the dust it makes and I'd rather do things by hand. I actually finish my nails quicker by hand .. but I don't have to do much finishing really and no health issues to accommodate. I'm glad becasue I don't think I would enjoy doing my work using a machine. The satisfaction I get from my art is in doing it by hand.

Some products - gels and L&P's - are so tough to buff off (other tech products) that I do have a Kupa simply for product removal. I'm with Geeg though, I would much rather do it by hand, which means using products in my practice that can be buffed easily or soaked.

I would never use an e-file to file gel.

Gel dust is like talc and goes everywhere (including your lungs), not to say that acrylic dust can't, but gel dust is so much finer and lighter, it is airborne longer.

it depends :hug:

As some say gel is almost always easy to file of, but I have had quite a few people come in with very very thick gel nails (at least 2mm just at FE) Then I bring out my e-file.

But as Carl has stated above, the dust from gel is airborn longer (well dust from l&p too when using an e-file)

That's a concern, so what I have done apart from punctual suction (just below my breathing zone) is a suction unit attached to the e-file. It removes almost every thing, especially the fine particles, and my punctual suction takes the rest. There's still some dust left, but this is very heavy stuf that falls onto my desk, where I have also installed punctual suction. LOL it sounds like I work in a vacuum cleaner, but it works for me if I have to use the e-file on gels.:hug:

Last edited:
Yeah. I don't mind hand filing, especially since gels are so easy to file. My only concern is not cutting the client when I hand file (no problems so far) and getting that edge. Perhaps I could use the tip of a ruby file (pink stone file) to go arount the lifted hairline. I just don't like using a regular file to continuously go over such a small area for risk of also filing the natural nail. I noticed this when I was doing my own, and didn't like it. I'm still in the learning phase with gels and had some lifting due to getting it on the skin. :rolleyes:

I personally don't see the need for an e-file with gel. If it is very thick a tough file (e.g. 100 grit) will soon get that off (with care!!). The dust produced is the most harmful thing in a salon and not everyone can afford suction or are mobile.

The line you are talking about won't go with an e-file. I think there may be a tutorial on here about Chasing the line or similar. It's there because the overlay in the area is SO thin. Gently buff BEHIND the nail and this will help.

It disappears when you 'scrub' the gel because you are going under the lifted overlay.

Latest posts

Back