Doing make up etc unqualified?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tinkywinky

Reaction score
Does anyone know if it goes against any law to do make up on children/teens without having a recognised qualification?

Someone locally is offering pamper parties and I don't think they are qualified.

Worries me how they'd pick up on contra indications and how do they know about hygiene practises?

Can anyone shed any light on this?

Thanks

Does anyone know if it goes against any law to do make up on children/teens without having a recognised qualification?

Someone locally is offering pamper parties and I don't think they are qualified.

Worries me how they'd pick up on contra indications and how do they know about hygiene practises?

Can anyone shed any light on this?

Thanks
Hi Twinkywinky! I could be wrong, but as far as I know-you dont actually have to have a set qualification-infuriatingly-in order to apply makeup. Why I dont know as it would set aside the blummin cowboys who give us a bad rep, from us professionals who HAVE invested in their education but hey ho.HOWEVER I doubt very much if that was the case whether she would have any insurance......??? I totally agree-if she has had no training-she will most like not be aware of CIs and hygiene......:mad:Sorry not much help!x

Qualifications are down to the requirements of the insurer, as opposed to being a legality. Frustrating though it may seem!

That said I do have some marginal sympathy, as probably the best make-up artist I know was trained by family (long-standing family 'business') as opposed to college and i would trust that lady to do anything with make-up, on anyone. She works on quite e lot of high profile stuff, and no one ever has any hesitation at employing her.....yet she lives in fear of someone regulating an industry that she could probably write the book on!

You do need to be CRB checked though to be working on children.

Qualifications are down to the requirements of the insurer, as opposed to being a legality. Frustrating though it may seem!

That said I do have some marginal sympathy, as probably the best make-up artist I know was trained by family (long-standing family 'business') as opposed to college and i would trust that lady to do anything with make-up, on anyone. She works on quite e lot of high profile stuff, and no one ever has any hesitation at employing her.....yet she lives in fear of someone regulating an industry that she could probably write the book on!

You do need to be CRB checked though to be working on children.

? mm very good point bought up here, theres probably loads of qualified people who offer pamper parties and dont realise this !! glad im crb checked ,as i worked in a school, do you know how often this has to be renewed?:confused:

Thankyou Zingara :):)

I was CRB checked so that I could help at my sons school with swimming etc.

When I offered to help out at his Beaver Scouts club, they said I would need a seperate CRB check, as the one for school is only valid there.

I was CRB checked so that I could help at my sons school with swimming etc.

When I offered to help out at his Beaver Scouts club, they said I would need a seperate CRB check, as the one for school is only valid there.

? ooo Think I shall check with the headteacher soon, youd think the one for school would cover all though surely ? Ive a while before I start offering treatment though, thanks for bringing that up gelly :)

If the type of work you do necessitates a CRB check,you need a new check every time you change employment, even if you're current one is only one week old. Depending on the type of work you're applying for, you could need a new one once a year ie lone working with a vulnerable group.

I think having insurance would be the most pressing issue here. Take the case of accidentally poking a make-up brush in someone's eye and ending up blinding them; even if you were qualified and had a CRB check, you would still leave yourself open to being personally liable for a large amount of damages if you don't have liability insurance.

Whereas I haven't heard of CRB checks being absolutely mandatory for working with children in the case of being hired by a mum for a kid's party or whatever (although it is advisable as it gives your clients extra peace of mind); however if you want to work at a school etc then it would be mandatory.

Whereas I haven't heard of CRB checks being absolutely mandatory for working with children in the case of being hired by a mum for a kid's party or whatever (although it is advisable as it gives your clients extra peace of mind); however if you want to work at a school etc then it would be mandatory.

I don't think it is law....but is certainly becoming more and more a requirement of employers, clients (in the case of childrens services) and insurance companies. My understanding is that CRB checks are strongly advised in case you are left alone with the children at any point. that includes Mum nipping into the kitchen to get the jelly and Ice Cream, while little Ryan or Katie has a tiger daubed on their rosy cheeks!

I was also told in my training I should be CRB checked if i was offering waxing or tanning to anyone under the age of 16 without an adult actually present (regardless of if consent was given) as this involves potentially removing clothing and levels of 'exposure'.

I personally haven't gone through it, so just insist an adult has to be present

:hug: hi im a hairdresser and iv been told by a care home that i have to be crb checked which also applies to children :hug: without qualifercations you:hug: cant get insurance iv applyed to do make up at college to be able to do this i wouldnt dream of doing anything on a client due to waot if anything goes wrong alergic reaction to products:eek: no insurance companies will insure anyone who isnt trained

Just a thought......

Why don't you phone her saying you have heard about her and want to know a liitle more about her services as you are planning a birthday party? You can then naturally go into things like insurance and crb checks, etc. You can say you would like time to think about it and thank her for her time.

xx

Hi I do nails, tanning, massage etc. I go to a private residential home one day a week to do massage and I had to have a crb check done before I could start there. its mainly so the company know you have no criminal record especially when you work with vulnerable people. I also go to another home to do manicure/pedicure one day a week and I had to have a crb check for there. personally the crb checks are only good the day you are checked and they last for as long as you are in that position.

what is the best company to get insured with? and roughly how much is it?

I don't think it is law....but is certainly becoming more and more a requirement of employers, clients (in the case of childrens services) and insurance companies. My understanding is that CRB checks are strongly advised in case you are left alone with the children at any point. that includes Mum nipping into the kitchen to get the jelly and Ice Cream, while little Ryan or Katie has a tiger daubed on their rosy cheeks!

I was also told in my training I should be CRB checked if i was offering waxing or tanning to anyone under the age of 16 without an adult actually present (regardless of if consent was given) as this involves potentially removing clothing and levels of 'exposure'.

I personally haven't gone through it, so just insist an adult has to be present

I know this is an older post, but I am just in the position now where I am thinking about offering Pamper Parties and have read this with interest. I went and had a look at CRB Bureau UK, and this has been copied and pasted from the first paragraph regarding CRB checks on self- employed...

"The current legislation does not allow the self-employed or individuals to apply for a CRB check on themselves. In addition, parents who employ a nanny/au pair/babysitter directly cannot apply for a CRB check; however, if an agency supplies the nanny/au pair/babysitter, the agency is entitled to carry out a CRB check"

So looks like us self employed folks cant get one even if we wanted one...:rolleyes:

You should be CRB checked if you have any contact with children or other vulnerable people such the elderly, you can contact a umbrella organisation to do so as you can't order one on yourself just go the the CRB website and read through the info.

Just read the post above and realised i was not clear so decided to add a umbrella organisation will do a check for the self employed, my husband has used them in the past.

Last edited:
Just for fun .... and to add my usual tuppence worth.

I wonder if the Avon lady is covered by insurance when she does a little makeover???

Latest posts

Back