Doing make up in a morgue

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dolls

Reaction score
hi-im working mobile at the moment and really want to expand myself and do "some thing diferent"- im thinking of contacting local morgues to see if i could work free lance there,ie,making up the deceased.making them look their best for one last time ect...have any of you got any experience in sort of work?and also how much would i charge?.this is some thing completely different,but would like to give it a go.please help.:confused:love sarah

Flip you're brave haha!
I think it would be funeral directors though you would need to contact, as the morgue is just where they go till they're released. I think!
I'd say you'd problably need special make-up too for this which might work out expensive

Good luck! x

Blimey...I just thought the place was quiet from the thread title!!:eek:

thank you for your advice-lol-im feeling brave.im glad i asked on here now,thanx again beautys.xxxx

Last edited:
I would talk to the funeral director of the particular parlor, find out what they pay and how it works..... here, alot of times they have someone that does their stuff for them. A family may have a choice of going with someone there, or bringing a stylist/make-up artist in.

I had a client that the family asked me if I would want to do it, and I did. Oddly enough, it didn't feel any different probably because I knew her, it was a bit sad for me because I missed her. The only thing that was different was the fact she was laying down. I was careful not to put too much makeup on, because she didn't wear any when she was alive.

Hope this helps :hug:

i read an article in the yorkshire local paper about a lady funeral director who had built up a very good reputation. One of the things she was respected for was that when the ladies were laid out etc. she asked found out from the family how much makeup the lady wore etc. And actually asked for and used the deceased makeup....as quite often the case can be that the deceased can end up looking unnatural and not themselves due to too much makeup.
Families felt happier that this lady had taken the time and care to make sure their loved one looked 'right'
Posted via Mobile Device

Oh and I thought I was the only one with mad ideas. I thought of doing their nails, but haven't followed it up yet. :rolleyes:

thanx again for the new replys,is it really true about the hair and nails still grow 12 weeks after the person dies?im sure when i was at college i can remember the tutor saying some thing about that

well I think you are very brave or mad lol but what a nice thought to make someone look thier best, mind you you wouldn't catch me any where near a dead person lol My friend is a hairdresser and she was asked to do someones hair she said she would

A friend of mine died at the age of 24-when it was time for her funeral (open coffin) another friend went to see her. Thank god she did coz she looked worse from the dodgy make-up then bare faced.
My friend and her sister's redid the make-up and it looked just as she had always done it. They used the make-up she used to use, false eyelashes etc... The family found great comfort in the fact she looked as close to her normal self as possible. The make-up the funeral people had used made her look yellow and old fashioned-nothing like her!

I think if you are brave enough it is a lovely thing to do. It will really help the family and friends. Good luck

awww thanx to all the people whoem have taken the time to reply to my post-you guys are so helpfull thank you :hug:xxxx

would be interesting to know how you got on ..
just a thought though, are you planning to put together a seperate makeup kit for this purpose?
when i first read your post, i thought it was a great idea and was tempted to look into myself - i work p/t in a nursing home, so am not affraid of those that have passed
then i thought, i dont suppose my brides would be very impressed if they knew id used my brushes and makeup on a deceased person before id got to them, lol
even after sanitising them, its just the thought of it :eek:
its cost me a small fortune to put my kit together, so i think i'll stick to making up the living, lol
great idea about using the deceased own makeup though

Last edited:
I did some Funeral nails.....not on the deceased but in the same room as an open coffin, at a kind of mourning/celebration of life ... I did the mothers and grandmothers of the deceased...it was a very strange experience and im not really too sure why they wanted it doing in the same room, I think they just wanted the deceased close by at all times....this was at a special centre whereby the families have their own private mourning room..

Now all I would say is .... wrap up warm.......It was very cold and quite a strange experience...If I am honest I was also a little scared....

I have had a few requests for the service of doing the nails of the deceased, but have never taken up the offers....

I have thought of approaching the funeral directors and providing a leaflet....It could prove to be a very popular service and of course there is money in it .... (that sounds awful)..... I would give it a go, the thing is you could never be sure how you will feel unless you do one..

It worries me that I might get in there, start to do it and find I Just cant do it....

Doing makeup in morgues can be rewarding, in many ways, if you can get past what you're doing.

The only thing that stopped me from doing it, is doing special effects make-up because I am not trained in it-- what if they are missing a nose, or an eye from a terrible accident?

I think it's a wonderful service to the grieving families, it helps them feel better to know their loved ones have been taken good care of after death.

After my dad passed on, I and everyone else was amazed how great he looked, as he had a torn and bruised lip from having a breathing tube shoved down his throat, somehow the morticians sewed it back up and put makeup over it, it looked like it didn't happen.

thanx again for the new replys,is it really true about the hair and nails still grow 12 weeks after the person dies?im sure when i was at college i can remember the tutor saying some thing about that

It's a bit of a myth about peoples hair and nails still growing, I watched on tv once some kind of documentary about death, and they said that they appear to grow but it's actually the body shrinking slightly as it decomposes, so gives the illusion of the nails and hair still growing.

Latest posts

Back