Double dipping

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i was told double dipping in spray tanning is when someone has one tan then comes back the next day and has their musclesd efined with tan - big in the body building world!:eek:

i was told double dipping in spray tanning is when someone has one tan then comes back the next day and has their musclesd efined with tan - big in the body building world!:eek:

Thats 'contouring' as far as i know....

In France, clients still have the choice of re-usable wax and they prefer it.

I wonder how many folks suffered infection in years gone by from strained wax!? I'm not against practising good hygene but did many people get sick from this?

So far there has not been one medically or scientifically proven case of anything directly linked. So while doctors may have told a client that they got something because of double dipping, the can was never pulled and tested to prove it. And if one client got something would not have more from an infected can? People have had herpes breakouts after getting waxed, but they already had herpes and an outbreak can be triggered by many things.

The theory of not double dipping only when doing intimate waxing however is way off base as transmitable (sp) things are found in fluids (lymph and blood) and an STD still can only be spread sexually. Even a simple body massage can pull out hair and cause lymph 'secretions'.

If you live in a location that states no double dipping than one must follow the rules, but understanding how things are transmited is always a good thing. Wax does not contain preservative nor does it have a shelf life. Based on these things alone it must not harbor bacteria.

nail polish anyone?

nail polish anyone?

Don't go there....it'll happen! :rolleyes:

Some hygiene crazy oik somewhere will cotton onto that one sooner or later and then we'll all need individual laquer bottles per cleints too! Or decant a ridiculous amount out into individual pots per client.

How to kill the beauty industry in one fell swoop! :irked:

Even the clients think it is getting crazy!

Thats 'contouring' as far as i know....
Yeah i think people call it different things i know its a double dip near where i live if you want 2 sprays one after the other a coctail if you go on the sunbed first and i dont know anyone that uses a new spatula every time they dip into the wax ive never heard anything so daft in my life!!:rolleyes:
PHP:

I seem to recall that a bit of dirt is no bad thing for children; they develop a kind of immunity to it if they're exposed to it. We used to get filthy dirty as children, and my sister used to eat worms, slugs and other garden fauna!

oh dear poor thing is she ok?

I seem to recall that a bit of dirt is no bad thing for children; they develop a kind of immunity to it if they're exposed to it. We used to get filthy dirty as children, and my sister used to eat worms, slugs and other garden fauna!

Only when you made her, I bet! LOL

Don't go there....it'll happen! :rolleyes:

Some hygiene crazy oik somewhere will cotton onto that one sooner or later and then we'll all need individual laquer bottles per cleints too! Or decant a ridiculous amount out into individual pots per client.

How to kill the beauty industry in one fell swoop! :irked:

Even the clients think it is getting crazy!

:lol::lol::lol::lol::lol:
funny!!!.....................as its probably true!!
lol

Yeah, but consider the cost of a few spatulas and client safety against the cost of the treatment you are performing. Pennies really for spatulas. I break mine in half for smaller areas of the body and in half again for eyebrows.

xx

God, don't you feel sorry for all the trees they have to waist unnecessary :eek:
Bik, brazilians and blood spotting -of cause you should use a clean spatula but to use it like that when you don't need to!?
Those forests desperately need to be safed, not waisted like this.:eek:
The day we'll have to use a new spatula for each deep, will be my last day doing waxing. Sorry, I just can't justify it at all.

God, don't you feel sorry for all the trees they have to waist unnecessary :eek:
Bik, brazilians and blood spotting -of cause you should use a clean spatula but to use it like that when you don't need to!?
Those forests desperately need to be safed, not waisted like this.:eek:
The day we'll have to use a new spatula for each deep, will be my last day doing waxing. Sorry, I just can't justify it at all.

I always say that waxing is the most environmentally UNFRIENDLY treatment, what with the wooden spats and paper strips etc.

Back to double dipping though. I don't double dip on intimate waxing as I just wouldn't want it done on me. It's probably true that nothing can live in the wax that would harm us but it's just distasteful.

It's like a chef spitting in your food and then saying, 'Don't worry because I reheated it to a temperature that will have killed any germs'. Would you eat it?

Hey everyone,

New to the board. I am currently managing another board simular to this board online for Estheticians/Beauty Therapists and ran into this board looking for some resourses.

I really felt I had to reply to this message because frankly I am kind of shocked to hear that some therapists are double dipping during wax treatments. The cost of sticks or deforestation does not justify putting a clients health at risk. If you have a problem with either of the above, raise your prices and make sure your client realises that the reason for the price raise is so that you can donate money to deforestation funds!

Also ask your client if they would prefer a lip wax after you just preformed a brazilian or bikini was on a client because you double dip and want to save some cash. I will guarentee they will never return to your salon again! I know if I was in a salon that practiced double dipping, not only would I not return I would also make sure everyone I spoke too would know as well.

Anyway, here is an answer I gave to a Beauty Therapy student when an instructor told her it was OK to double dip because when you heat the wax it kills all the bacteria.

-------------------------

The statement that 'Wax, when heated kills all the bacteria' is complete rubbish and scientificially not true. Your instructors should know better, sadly your instructors are not the only one in the country that tells their students the same.

After a discussion on another board last year March, I wrote to David R. Caprette, Ph.D. who teaches at the Dept. of Biochemistry & Cell Biology, Rice University-Texas and asked him a few questions about this subject. He confirmed what I thought to be true as well as what you are thinking about as well. Below are the questions and answers for him. He has also given me permission to repint this information in the group.

1. Some salon owners/workers believe that heating the wax (below boiling) for an hour will kill all bacteria. Is this true?

No, that is absolutely NOT true. Heating will probably kill most active cells, but I would not trust it to be completely effective. In addition, it takes much higher temeratures to kill bacterial spores, such as those produced by the Bacillus. I would be concerned about molds and yeast as well.

2.If above is false, what would be the best way to kill pathogenic bacteria in the wax?

To ensure that the wax is sterile it would be necessary to autoclave (steam sterilize) the stuff, or perhaps sterilize it by gamma irradiation. It takes a temperature of above 121 C to kill bacterial spores. Since water boils at 100 C, it is necessary to heat materials under pressure - thus an autoclave is similar to a giant pressure cooker. Moist heat penetrates much more effectively than dry heat, so an autoclave is preferable to a dry oven, even for dry goods. If heating to 121 C ruins the wax, then irradiation would be necessary.

3. Can blood and other body fluids contaminate the wax, even though it is heated?

Yes, I'm sure they could. The longer the heating and the higher the temperature, the lower the risk will be, but I would not trust low heat alone to destroy pathogens from blood and body fluids. I hope your question doesn't mean that salon owners re-use the wax.

A risk analysis might find that heating to some prescribed temperature for a set period of time destroys all pathogens that are LIKELY to be in wax, so that complete sterilization is not necessary. It would be up to the health department to research the subject and set standards. There is always SOME level of risk if the material is not sterilized.
--
David R. Caprette, Ph.D., Dept. of Biochemistry & Cell Biology, Rice University
P.O. Box 1892, Houston, Texas 77251

So far there has not been one medically or scientifically proven case of anything directly linked. So while doctors may have told a client that they got something because of double dipping, the can was never pulled and tested to prove it. And if one client got something would not have more from an infected can? People have had herpes breakouts after getting waxed, but they already had herpes and an outbreak can be triggered by many things.

The theory of not double dipping only when doing intimate waxing however is way off base as transmitable (sp) things are found in fluids (lymph and blood) and an STD still can only be spread sexually. Even a simple body massage can pull out hair and cause lymph 'secretions'.

If you live in a location that states no double dipping than one must follow the rules, but understanding how things are transmited is always a good
thing. Wax does not contain preservative nor does it have a shelf life. Bas I bed on these things alone it must not harbor bacteria.

nail polish anyone?

Hi There is a case actually that was cited in the BABTAC Vitality magazine about a 20 something girl who was rushed to hospital with a staphylococcal plus herpes infection following a brazilian wax. She had to be examined under GA as she was so bad. She was a diabetic as well. I also understand that she did not have herpes beforehand. The paper is presented by a MD.

I did my training in the 80's with recyclable hot wax and always double dipped as this was not an issue. But as an enlightened therapist I would never double dip now not on any part of the body. I would not like to share other peoples secretions so why should my clients?

You have 1 tub of wax for eyebrows, top lip, chin, legs, bikini etc and everytime you dip a wax stick in you use it then dispose of it then use another 1?

Im sure there will be an invention one day where we have little individual pots of wax to use per person and then dispose of when the treatment is complete.

So double dipping is using 1 wax stick per treatment?

I get it now,

thanks for all replies.

Vicky

Hey everyone,

New to the board. I am currently managing another board simular to this board online for Estheticians/Beauty Therapists and ran into this board looking for some resourses.

I really felt I had to reply to this message because frankly I am kind of shocked to hear that some therapists are double dipping during wax treatments. The cost of sticks or deforestation does not justify putting a clients health at risk. If you have a problem with either of the above, raise your prices and make sure your client realises that the reason for the price raise is so that you can donate money to deforestation funds!

Also ask your client if they would prefer a lip wax after you just preformed a brazilian or bikini was on a client because you double dip and want to save some cash. I will guarentee they will never return to your salon again! I know if I was in a salon that practiced double dipping, not only would I not return I would also make sure everyone I spoke too would know as well.

Anyway, here is an answer I gave to a Beauty Therapy student when an instructor told her it was OK to double dip because when you heat the wax it kills all the bacteria.

-------------------------

Well said! The fact that therapists are still double dipping for any part of the body seems inconceivable to me. People need to be going back and getting educated on basic hygiene. The working temperature of wax is around the temperature that bacteria breeds. People seem to think that it is ok to double dip for one area like the lip and face and not bikini line. People get diseases like herpes etc on their lips and eyes. This could be spread to other people or other parts of the body (i.,e genital area). Frankly I think if therapists continue to do it, it is lawsuit waiting to happen. :eek:

Wow
I seriously think some people on here need to relax. Breath in, breath out.

LOL
Vicky:eek:

You don't need heaters with seperate chambers for wax.......spatula's are cheap enough.

Last edited:
Hi There is a case actually that was cited in the BABTAC Vitality magazine about a 20 something girl who was rushed to hospital with a staphylococcal plus herpes infection following a brazilian wax. She had to be examined under GA as she was so bad. She was a diabetic as well. I also understand that she did not have herpes beforehand. The paper is presented by a MD.

I did my training in the 80's with recyclable hot wax and always double dipped as this was not an issue. But as an enlightened therapist I would never double dip now not on any part of the body. I would not like to share other peoples secretions so why should my clients?

My point is that can of wax was not promptly pulled and inspected for a direct point of problem. It was assumed as that the treatment was the source. Some of my family members almost died from staph gotten from a hospital. So the combination was perfect for her to 'get' something. And I have also said that many doctors will point to something without conclusive evidence. A client goes to doctor: Client says "I have this" Doctor says "what have you done" Client says "got waxed" doctor says "that's probably why"

Now I am not at all underplaying what happened to this young woman. But over the years how many thousands of people have gotten waxed? In the last 5 years is when this double dipping thing started, what did we do before? We are killed and infected more by the medical industry than ever could by the beauty industry. A paper presented by an MD does not make it fact, and people can have herpes breakouts triggered by many things, stress being top of the list. How much did her diabeties contribute? Again as I have always said, work how you are comfortable and work how you are legal. But please be educated.

I do bikram yoga...secrections and sweat anyone?

I fly a lot....pillows and blankets and headrests anyone?

Latest posts

Back