Dry cracked hands - help?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Penners

Reaction score
Hi All, does anyone else have horrible hands in the winter? I keep soaking them in hand cream but they still end up cracked and sore and rough, apart from frequently getting them wet (hairdressing) I also end up geting wood for the fire, peeling vegetables and generally wrecking them - anyone got any magical cure?? I currently use bodyshop hemp hand protector but it doesn't seem to be cutting the mustard this year!:irked:

Flexitol Hand Balm. Smells yucky, is greasy as hell, but the darn stuff works better than anything. And it's cheap.

soak them in a good hydrating and repairing moisturiser at night and apply cotton gloves if you can stand it. Also, wear gloves for protection when washing etc.

If you use alcohol gel for sanitising your hands then stop this and replace it with non alcohol hand wash.

Smother them in handcream, then wear cotton gloves and then rubber or latex gloves when doing anything like cleaning or manual work. It's the only way.

The almond spa products from CND are great. Also solar oil mixed in with the moisturuser is also very good. xx

Thanks all you skinny nail peeps (sounds better than naily skin peeps), i'll give it a try, I realise gloves are the way - just often too busy to put them on - you would cry if you saw my nasty cracked hands and run for the hills!!:o

Ask your pharmacist or dr ( non prescrip ) for calendulla barrier cream. It goes on heavy,( looks like a wax.... but disappears until you get your hands wet, then you can feel a bit of a waxy feel, but water beads and runs off. The repetition of wet to dry to wet etc... is very hard on the hands in cold months and this stuff is cheap, and works like a dream. Its always in our first aid kit:)

Aeqeous cream always works for me and it's cheap as chips, just slather it on especially at night when wearing some cotton gloves.

Hemp hand cream from the Body Shop is very good. I find a lot of the other creams really sting when I've got chapped hands, especially the calendula cream, but the hemp one is fine.

I've just ordered a load of hemp hand cream as its what we always use, I'm also trying their almond oil hand repair cream ( something like that) but I may try some of the other things. Not only hairdressing but housework, getting logs in lighting fires - wrecks your hands!!!

Latest posts

Back