Education... what did you do in the beginning?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Education, what did you do in the beginning?

• Untrained

Votes: 24 5.0%
  • 1 or 2 day course

Votes: 67 14.0%
  • college course

Votes: 195 40.6%
  • 4 day or more course

Votes: 194 40.4%

• Total voters

ValencianNails

Positivity rules!
Reaction score
thought it might be interesting to find out where everyone started when choosing education.
so kind of following on from Sassy's recent Education Article, where did you start off?

my personal experience was a short course that gave me a brief insight and also gave me a certificate, however I was nowhere near being qualified.
then I found this site and a whole new world opened up infront of me, I researched and found that the 'education' I had chosen wasn't enough.
So I furthered my training and I'm a better tech (I hope) because of it, continuing with more education is a definite YES, therefore improving my techniques at the same time.

xx

i started off with a college course that was more about bums on seats than teaching correctly.

we were fortunate enough to learn with cnd products at our college so decided to stay with that and go to the cna at mk and do some 1to1. was the best thing i did and learnt loads a lot more than at college.

hi sandie

did go to college to learn all the basics m&p, nail art and l&p but hope to further myself with other courses this year x

jules x

paid quite a bit for a 3 day training course, doing all systems, but when i got on here reliesed i had paid money just for the basics. haven't been doing nail very long (6months),

Foundation course at Creative for Liquid and powder and then home learn with essentials (personally I enjoyed the Creative course a lot more):hug:

Went to college but then realised it was very basic training and went on to do an NSI course.

I am assuming that you mean enhancement training.

I originally trained in manicure/pedicure at college but my first enhancement training was my CND foundation course.

naturalnails said:
I am assuming that you mean enhancement training.
:o yep, should have worded it better, don't want loads of replies saying "primary school" lol

College with mani and pedi course which was included in my NQ in Beauty Therapy but for enhancements it was with the Home Learn Essential Nails Course then the CND Foundation 4 day Course.

CND L&P 5 day Foundation course, I have to say that I went into the whole 'nail thing' with my eyes closed:o I didn't know a whole lots about the nail industry, brands etc. So I feel so lucky that I was educated with the BEST first time! Lots lots more to do this year though x x

CND L&P 5 day Foundation course, I didn't know a thing about nails but had always had my nails done at a creative salon. So looked into it and thought it sounded the best way to go (which it was) x x

i started off with a total technicians course which consisted of a manicure course, 4 day nail enhacement course and a nail art course. then the comapny went bust adn i had just fund the geek site and CND, so i went on an open day to acton where ketan was a darling and i converted over and ahvent looked back since.

rjryan said:
CND L&P 5 day Foundation course, I have to say that I went into the whole 'nail thing' with my eyes closed:o I didn't know a whole lots about the nail industry, brands etc. So I feel so lucky that I was educated with the BEST first time! Lots lots more to do this year though x x

CND L&P foundation course. I feel lucky that I went into the whole 'nail thing' with my eyes open because I found the geek site first and researched loads. I think the most important thing I learned was "Rome wasn't built in a day" I too hope to train more this year

I did the Creative 5 day foundation course last year, i decided to do nails as i just loved having my own done, so i went in completely blind, and i did think that i would be a "qualified tech" BOY was i wrong LOL so much to learn and cannot wait x

Well I was 'almost' booked onto a 2 day enhancement course in Manchester, a company that has been discussed on here in the past. I decided to run it by a friend of mine who has been in the nail industry for 20 years and she advised me to stay clear of this 2 day training. She felt the company to go with was Creative, and suggested I do a search in Google. I did and I came accross this site. Yeehah! :Love:

After reading many posts on the various companies and training I sent off for more info from a few of them and then decided to do the Creative Foundation in L&P. Now I am hooked on the whole education malarki... I cannot get enough :) :biggrin:

I started off with a 4 day man/ped with supernail and then 2 day Backscratchers course. I have then gone on from there and am doing the new nvq specific with creative.

Good thread Sandi.....
I actually started with a 4 day course over 4 Sundays...using Kiss products this cost £500 8 years ago!!...The nails I produced were truly awful.... I got part time work in a salon that used Creative products and SAW THE LIGHT!!!.....I then did my Creative Conversion and got started on my Academy (Masters ) classes as soon as I could......this was a real turning point for me as the confidence I gained at these courses eventually lead to me gaining my Master Technician qualification and going for it with my own business!!!

I later attended a Glasgow College to gain some National Qualifications and because at that time Creative had no further course to offer me, although they had given me the Education bug!!!:( ...changed days now with all the courses they can offer for all the systems....:) .
I was truly appalled at the standard of the College Course (Although the Instructor was a Fabulous Nail technician)...24 in the class at the start and 6 at the end!! I think the certificate given at the end really was for good attendance not nails!.....This was when I realised how great the training was that I had had with Creative and appreciated that my Globally recognised Certificates from them would mean more for my career!....So I have stuck with them ever since!:hug:

I started with a 2 day course at Debbie Timberlake's academy in Cosham. But then I was lucky because I went straight into a job in one of their franchised salon's for a year. HAve done tons more 1 day courses since.

Education is the best investment you'll make. It's not as easy as it looks and there are so many hints and tips that a course will cover to make sure you use the products safely and effectively. I can't understand people who feel they can get away without it. It would be like training yourself to cut hair. Yeah you may think it's good, but a trained eye can immediately see every mistake you make!

Well, i did a course over 2 days and unbeknown to me was taught how to trash natural nails! Well maybe not quite that bad, but very poor training.L&P.

It cost me over £400 with kit etc:( . I then bought books - Encyclopedia of Nails, Complete Nail Technician, got Scratch, PN etc, read & read & practised, friends & family. Then discovered this fab site Aug 04 read loads of threads & posts, asked lots of questions too.

I started my own business & it's doing OK. I'm going on my final day on monday on my Creative L & P foundation.

I'm currently studying for a VTCT qualification at college, includes m&p and extensions with gel overlay. Don't think I would have coped doing all the work in a 4/5 day course!! :biggrin: Tutor has been great. Hopefully if I pass I would love to train in l&p and was considering going to a local private training school for a 2 day course. After reading posts on this site though I've deceided to make the hubby look after the kids and travel down to Dublin to train with creative. So fingers crossed I'll be one of the gang by next year!

Helen
:Love:

Latest posts

Back