Enamels - colour combinations - Any ideas?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

'chelle

Reaction score
There's been lots of talk recently about favourite enamel shades, and actually, my favourite is a combination of two shades that Angie (Bagpuss) enlightened me on - Voodoo and Limelight.

Similarly, on the recent custom colour blending course, Kirsten showed me another couple of little gems: try 2 coats of NFS or similar dark shade, THEN, get your new plexi pop range. One coat of the turquoise tint turns NFS into a gorgeous deep peacock green as one of my clients described it, and the plexi pink turns it into a really vibrant deep purpley shade. I recommend them both highly!

Also, at the moment on my toes I am sporting 2 coats of Fedora and 1 coat of glow. It looks absolutely fantastic, like a molten bronze colour.

And finally - Katie in the Sweet shop at Leeds showed me how to create the coral which the model is wearing on the cover of the new S2 catalogue - 2 coats of fiesta and 1 coat of Souvenir Junkie.

So, I have a new passion for combining enamels to make new colours and want to see if any of you have any colour combi's to share

Great thread....I cant think of any at the mo though...:lol:....love the sound of the coral one.

Hope others can.

What a great idea... the polish is coming off the rack tomorrow to try all this out ...

Not exactly what you asked for but one of my faves is to paint the nail a really dark blue and then finish it with a silver french,
it looks really nice and classy :hug:

I love matching any dark color, blue, brown, purple, black, with some Designer Series (some won't work as one layer is enough) and see the effect only with the lights...

10 years ago (when I was 12 lol) my first enamel was a Maybeline, "Double jeu" in French, which you could combine to any other to create your colors. I loved it. using a copper one as a first layer and that one would create a kind of shimmering pink. I am gonna try to find a similar one in our range.

I tried to get some Fiesta yesterday from SS but it's been discontinued and it's all gone :(
I'm SO looking forward to my order arriving - I've got loads of exciting colours to try thanks to Jinxx's suggestions!

tongue in cheek over sneay or trophy :D

I like Leighton Denny's Silver Polish (I think it is called Diamond Diva) over CND's Hotsky to Trotsky. Turns it from a great metallic green to a silvery moss green - beautiful.

Leslie

I've got Company Red with Glow on my toes right now! Glow warms up the Company Red and adds a subtle layer of gold sparkle...... Lovin' it!

i also like using glow over a french , even though i usually use moonlight n roses , glow is lovely xxx

I love voodoo with coat of glow over the top.

I love the new Plexi pop collection too as they can subtly change any colour and you can kind of custom make colours to your clients taste.

Try this one out : 2 coats CND Ridge Out Base Coat, 2 coats CND No 211 (can't remember the name right now), 1 coat CND Glow, 1 coat CND Super Shiney. Very subtle, but absolutely gorgeous!!!

Some good ideas there. Also, I forgot to say that Serenity with a topcoat of glow is fabulous (another one of Kirstens ideas)

Anyway, I had a quiet day at the salon today, so I spent my afternoon furrowing away with enamels all over the place. Here is a list of what I came up with (I have put a * by the ones which are especially nice):

Assume all are 2 coats of the 1st colour followed by 1 coat of the 2nd colour unless otherwise stated:

Oh, and these are all CND colours:

Silver Anniversary and Disco Ball
Hot pop yellow & Limelight
Company Red & Souvenir Junkie * (this was my favourite)
Voodoo & Steal a kiss
Decadence & VIP status
Crowned & Translucent tangerine
Hot pop orange & Crowned
Hot pop blue & Make a wish
Family Secret & Cosmic coral
Voodoo & make a wish*
Hot pop pink & Translucent tangerine*
Hot pop pink & Turquoise tint
Hot pop yellow & make a wish
Tropinkal & glow*
Hotpop pink & steal a kiss*
Bisou de Lulu & Translucent tangerine
Retro White &* Turquoise tint
Bisou de Lulu & plexi pink
Retro white & cosmic coral
Bisou de Lulu & Limelight
Company red & make a wish*
1 coat of hotpop blue & 1 coat of Hotski to tchotchke
NFS & Souvenir Junkie*

You will see that there are some recurring themes there. I think glow is nice on almost everything, and Limelight does really interesting things to a lot of shades, but one of the unexpected ones for me is Make a Wish. I'm not a fan of it personally, its a peachy colour with a green tint and it goes on quite transparent. No one's ever asked for it and I was thinking of replacing it with another colour, but try it over other colours, its fantastic!

p.s - Calla, if you cant get hold of Fiesta, try using hot pop orange instead, you will very likely get the same result.

so there you are!, go on, go have a play, you know you want to!

Signed

The Rolf Harris of the nail world (can you tell what it is yet?)

'Chelle, have you got the entire CND range?!

'Chelle, have you got the entire CND range?!

:lol::lol:

I think the only thing standing in between me and the entire range is my husband and his disapproving stares!! Honestly you should see me when I go to the Sweet shop to get stock. Even if I dont need enamels I always wander over to the stand for a nosey, and now I have made myself go with a list of what I need, and only buy the items on the list!

oooh thanks for that !! i am gonna be printing that list out , lol xxxx

Just to update you, 2 coats of Cuppa Joe and 1 coat of Souvenir Junkie is luurvely. Similar to NFS & Souvenir junkie which is one of the combo's I put on the list, but with Cuppa Joe its a nicer finish.

Some good ideas there. Also, I forgot to say that Serenity with a topcoat of glow is fabulous (another one of Kirstens ideas)

Anyway, I had a quiet day at the salon today, so I spent my afternoon furrowing away with enamels all over the place. Here is a list of what I came up with (I have put a * by the ones which are especially nice):

Assume all are 2 coats of the 1st colour followed by 1 coat of the 2nd colour unless otherwise stated:

Oh, and these are all CND colours:

Silver Anniversary and Disco Ball
Hot pop yellow & Limelight
Company Red & Souvenir Junkie * (this was my favourite)
Voodoo & Steal a kiss
Decadence & VIP status
Crowned & Translucent tangerine
Hot pop orange & Crowned
Hot pop blue & Make a wish
Family Secret & Cosmic coral
Voodoo & make a wish*
Hot pop pink & Translucent tangerine*
Hot pop pink & Turquoise tint
Hot pop yellow & make a wish
Tropinkal & glow*
Hotpop pink & steal a kiss*
Bisou de Lulu & Translucent tangerine
Retro White &* Turquoise tint
Bisou de Lulu & plexi pink
Retro white & cosmic coral
Bisou de Lulu & Limelight
Company red & make a wish*
1 coat of hotpop blue & 1 coat of Hotski to tchotchke
NFS & Souvenir Junkie*

You will see that there are some recurring themes there. I think glow is nice on almost everything, and Limelight does really interesting things to a lot of shades, but one of the unexpected ones for me is Make a Wish. I'm not a fan of it personally, its a peachy colour with a green tint and it goes on quite transparent. No one's ever asked for it and I was thinking of replacing it with another colour, but try it over other colours, its fantastic!

p.s - Calla, if you cant get hold of Fiesta, try using hot pop orange instead, you will very likely get the same result.

so there you are!, go on, go have a play, you know you want to!

Signed

The Rolf Harris of the nail world (can you tell what it is yet?)

Where's the pics?:):hug:

Where's the pics?:):hug:

I did think of posting pics, but to be honest my camera doesnt give the best quality close up images, and I dont think you get the true colour on a photo. I thought it would be best for peeps to give them a try, although I have kept all the colourpops so if you want me to try and post pics I can.

Latest posts

Back