Extraordinary Breast feeding!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PenelopePitstop

Reaction score
Hi ya,

Did anyone watch this programme on channel 4 @ 9pm last night?

just wondered what peoples opinions are on the matter...i was actually quite disturbed by it and felt quite uncomfortable watching it

Breast feeding till 8 yrs old and breast feeding someone elses child :eek:

what did everyone else think?

Pen xx

I'm with you hun!
I felt sick watching that!! Did you hear the comment that girl made at the end?!?!??! About geting her own milk when she was more developed? I think you get what I mean without going into too much detail!!

no i didnt watch it, because the advert put me off to be honest. I dont even like the "bitty" sketches on little britain and thats not real!

yes i did, and watching hera nd her mum in bed together whilst she was feeding! yeuk..surely that isn't right?!?!?

to be honest th thought of breast feeding full stop makes me cringe, but i suppose i won't know till i'm in the situation whether i will or not!

I was a bit funny about it myself really but now there is no way in hell I'm doing it!!!!
The breast feeding in public makes me feel a bit uncomfortable too! I'm sorry if that offends anyone but it does!! Sorry!

I only caught a bit of it. I saw the older daughter in the garden talking about mummy and sister having secret moments and how she felt left out.
Dont get me wrong I have nothing agaisnt breastfeeding, but up to a certain age.
I wonder if some of these mums dont want their babies to grow up.

funkyfingers10 said:
Hi ya,

Did anyone watch this programme on channel 4 @ 9pm last night?

just wondered what peoples opinions are on the matter...i was actually quite disturbed by it and felt quite uncomfortable watching it

Breast feeding till 8 yrs old and breast feeding someone elses child :eek:

what did everyone else think?

Pen xx
My sister didnt want to watch it as she thought it was discusting....in the end we BOTH watched it and yes the same as you I felt the lady feeding her 8 yr old was very disturbing and traumatising for the child too. I could go on forever about it really. I am a mum to a 3 yr old and whilst I tried to breastfeed it didnt work for me, but I tell you one thing if I had managed I would have only done it for about 6 mths anyway. I dont have problems with breastfeeding in general but a line has to be drawn but thats just my opinion.
Surely it will affect the child in some way being so old to still breastfeed?? Did you notice though they didnt go to school either, and I read the other boy of 4 hadnt been to a nursery either....its like the mums want to keep their children babies forever, I actually think the mums may have some emotional problems themselves. BUT THIS IS JUST MY OPINION DONT SHOOT ME FOR SPEAKING MY MIND.

i've got it recorded on our sky+ thingy, i'll be watching it later so i'll let you know!!

my initial thoughts are that i am not really in favour of it for myself as i like the freedom of beding able to let someone else feed Evie, I know someone who spends 2 hours every morning expressing her milk before going to work in the city. she finds this extremely hard and tiring....my thinking is what happens if you are out longer than expected and whoever has your baby runs out of milk?? then what?? its ok when your at home but it could cause problems. i make up 6 bottles at a time with Evie, she usually does really well with her feeds but occassionally only does a couple of ounzes and goes to sleep so i have to throw the rest out....if your looking after someones baby and they have given a set amount of bottles, what happens if the baby's regular eating pattern is thrown out for some reason and you run out, can you give formula milk instead???

anyway, i've rambled enough....i'll get back to you when i've watched it!
(and probably give a different view entirely!!!!)

my mam said that the one who still breast feeds her 7 year old had another daughter who said she wanted a go as a special present for her 10th birthday. Thats just WRONG!!!!

Hi

Well, I watched it and I thought that the 8 year old was a bit extreme!

I totally agree with breast feeding and I think that it is very sad that these women are frowned upon for breast feeding in public.
God gave women breasts to feed their children and it is only through sex that womens breasts are seen now as a sex toy. Im not saying that it is not uncomfortable for people to see this but breast feeding is the most natural thing in the world. I know that if a child was screaming in Asda because it was hungry then people would be anoyed, so let the mothers feed their children in peace!
Maybe we as the public are to blame for the stigma around the issue??

I think that there is a time to stop though, 8 years old is just freaky! I know that my fiances son, who is 6, would be embarrased at the thought!!!

So, overall I think that women should be left alone to look after their children as they see fit. If anyone has a problem then dont look, turn away and carry on with your own business.

xx

Hi Everyone
I too watched the programme last night and being a Mum of 4 I still found it to be quite disturbing.
I breast fed all of mine ranging from 6 weks to 14 months, but at 14 months when my daughter was trying to help herself I decided it was time to stop.
She then went straight to a cup with no problems at all.
The weirdest bit I found in the programme last night was the lady who was feeding her 4 year old still and had adopted a baby who was 18 months old and then tried to breast feed her! That really did phase me.
Only my opinions though.

Love

i missed it !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

is it on again???

MINKUS said:
i missed it !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

is it on again???

not a bad thing!!! i'm sure it will be repeated at some point chick!

Hi

The lady who adopted the chinese girl only wanted her to have the goodness of breast milk. I think that she also felt for the child as she had never had the option of being so close to someone. The girl didn't want to latch on but she seemed to love the taste of breast milk! Bless her. I didnt agree with tring to force her but I can sort of understand the womens intentions.

By the way, I have no children and wouldn't breast feed as the freedom thing would be a major issue for me, but I still feel that these women should have the freedom, wherever thy are, to feed their children.

xx

i think when your kids.....try and get your boobs out in the middle of superdrug then its time to stop.....(personal experience)
the thing i got and i dont know a bout anybody else but the 8 year old girl seemed to be doing it for attention quite bizzare.
but overall i think the rest of the mums had the right reasons for breast feeding, i breast feb 2 of my 3 boys but i personally got to a point whre i felt like a milking cow then i stopped.
the thing is it is other people who make it a sexual thing , i am sure a 4 year old doesnt see what alot of small minded adults see...and it is only adults whom have made breast feeding a tabu thing...not the children.

well i'm an advocate of breast feeding, and to be honest i think that show did nothing for the cause.the most normal one on there was that 24 year old gal from barnsley ?. she was a very sensible girl. that family with the 8 year old feeder was pretty odd. the father saying how he enjoyed breast milk too and the grandmother taking over while the mum was unavailable and they all said prayers to the sun around the table.they were certainly not the norm and that did nothing to promote the benefits of breastfeeding.
i fed my three daughters until 13 or 14 months when they just gradually stopped by them selves. you should be only giving a bedtime feed by then, its ridiculous to be getting up all through the night like the poor mum of those twins still was. its a mums duty to introduce independent living to her babies and that means giving them additional and alternative sources of nourishment as it becomes suitable for them. i guess i would have fed mine longer if they hadnt lost interest, but i think after about 2 years the baby is very capable of finding all their nourishment from alternative sources. a lot of babies seem to hang on purely for comfort, but i think giving cuddles to them when its not feed times helps them to know that closeness is not just associated with a feed.

I have nothing against most breast feeding!
I mean its society that has sexualised breasts, after all breastfeeding is what breasts are for!
I do think that some of the breastfeeding shown on the documentary was a bit extreme and did make me uncomfortable at times. I definitely do not think this is the norm for the majority of breast-feeders, I think this was highlighted to create a more interesting/ controversial programme. I mean its got us talking about it hasn't it!
I think it is perfectly fine to breastfeed in public.
I think if I was to have children I would like to breastfeed (if poss)
The media is to blame for the hype and fear we have about paedophilia. This issue has been around for as long as we have ( I am by no means condoning this!!!!!) But because the media hypes/ scaremonger about it gives the impression that it is an epidemic. This should not be the reason breastfeeding in public is frowned upon, because as I have said it is society that have sexualised a very natural act.
This is just my opinion!
But I found the documentary fascinating!

god it didnt even occur to me that some people may have thought it was perverted or anything (i didnt watch it though). I just thought 8 year olds are far too old for breastfeeding and thought the comment about the special present was just strange but hadnt thought about it like that!

I personally dont care if people want to breastfeed in public, doesnt bother me a bit and I think people who take offence are being silly. But I would think it was odd if I saw a woman breastfeeding a 7 or 8 year old in a cafe though, when the child is old enough and capable enough to pick up a glass of milk and drink it with no assistance

Weird one this..

The thought of breastfeeding absolutely repulsed me... that was until I had my little girl (now 6... well 7 tomorrow !!). When Hannah was born I breastfed until she was 6 months old, but then it was time to stop. It is a very special moment between a mother and a child and I do think that the public should be more open about it. BUT

There is absolutely no way in this world is breastfeeding a 8 year old child right !!, I felf physically ill watching this and had to turn over, it almost felt as though I was watching something I shouldn't.. if you know what i mean.

I know everyone is entitled to their own view, and sometimes you want your baby to remain a baby, but this is just extreme.

Take care

I breastfed my daughter for 5 weeks but she wanted on all day every day and started losing weight so I changed to bottles. Hats off to anyone who can breast feed sucessfully but it wasnt to be for me. I have no probs with ladies breast feeding in public - I did. My cousin read in her local paper that a lady was asked to get off a bus for breast feeding her baby because people complained - non sensical!!

Found the 8 year old lassie being breast fed uncomfortable - TBH their family freaked me a bit, the dad also being breast fed and the gran helping out. The 2 girls had an unhealthy facination with breasts, their lives seemed to revolve around them :eek:

Did you see the Chav in (fake) Burberry shouting at the ladies breastfeeding in the town? He was pointing at his child in a buggie
'Bottle fed and strong as an ox!!' he went on to say breast feeding was disgusting and should not be allowed in public as it would encourage to quote him 'Paeodofiddlia'
The breast feeding ladies come back was fab she said
'his son is strong as an ox because he is fed cows milk my daughter is breast fed and as intelligent as a human being'

There were some interesting facts in the program - I didnt know that the World Health Organisation recommend you dont stop breast feeding until the age of 2 1/4 and the average age for stopping in 4 in europe. Most folk I know who have breast fed have only done it for 7/8 months so I found that info surprising.

Latest posts

Back