Eyelash extension problem

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rainbowtanning

Reaction score
Hi ladies, got a query that I just want to check with you that I have responded in the right way. Had a new client for eyelash extensions yesterday (first full paying client!), when I asked her to open her eyes she said that the left was stinging a little but after a minute or so it subsided. Today she has text to say that the eye is a little bloodshot and sore to the touch & she thinks a bit of glue has gone in to her eye. I called her immediately and asked her about the eye & she re-iterated what she had put in the text but said that it wasn't unbearable it just doesn't look nice and is a little sore. I told her that I was sorry to hear she was having problems & asked if it felt like she had something in her eye as I assume that would be the feeling of glue was actually in her eye(??) and she said no. I asked her if the lashes were irritating her & she said they were fine. I advised her to get someone to clean the eye with cooled boiled water being careful with the lashes & to ensure that their hands were clean first, and should it not get any better then she would need to go to a&e to get the eye checked. I asked her to make sure she lets me know how she gets on. She then went on to say that 3 lashes came out last night & 2 this morning & was that normal. I said that it can happen & to let me know how she gets on over the next few days and we'll go from there.

Is there any other advice I should have given or I should have done?

Thanks xx

Hi ladies, got a query that I just want to check with you that I have responded in the right way. Had a new client for eyelash extensions yesterday (first full paying client!), when I asked her to open her eyes she said that the left was stinging a little but after a minute or so it subsided. Today she has text to say that the eye is a little bloodshot and sore to the touch & she thinks a bit of glue has gone in to her eye. I called her immediately and asked her about the eye & she re-iterated what she had put in the text but said that it wasn't unbearable it just doesn't look nice and is a little sore. I told her that I was sorry to hear she was having problems & asked if it felt like she had something in her eye as I assume that would be the feeling of glue was actually in her eye(??) and she said no. I asked her if the lashes were irritating her & she said they were fine. I advised her to get someone to clean the eye with cooled boiled water being careful with the lashes & to ensure that their hands were clean first, and should it not get any better then she would need to go to a&e to get the eye checked. I asked her to make sure she lets me know how she gets on. She then went on to say that 3 lashes came out last night & 2 this morning & was that normal. I said that it can happen & to let me know how she gets on over the next few days and we'll go from there.

Is there any other advice I should have given or I should have done?

Thanks xx

It's unlikely that glue went into the eye, unless you are using a lot of glue :)

It's more likely that it is the fumes to the glue that have irritated her eye, or, if she feels its scratched, it may be the under eye pads were rubbing on her eye.

I have a few clients where their eyes would go red in a slight crescent shape at the base of their eyeball. This was due to the pads rubbing, solution, tape first then apply pads slightly lower. It solves the pad irritation issue :)

I would say the redness shoud go dwn within 24 hours, although of course you will need to ensure she doesn't have swelling, intense itchiness and redness of the eye that increases, this would then be an allergic reaction and lashes need to be removed.

It's unlikely that glue went into the eye, unless you are using a lot of glue :)

It's more likely that it is the fumes to the glue that have irritated her eye, or, if she feels its scratched, it may be the under eye pads were rubbing on her eye.

I have a few clients where their eyes would go red in a slight crescent shape at the base of their eyeball. This was due to the pads rubbing, solution, tape first then apply pads slightly lower. It solves the pad irritation issue :)

I would say the redness shoud go dwn within 24 hours, although of course you will need to ensure she doesn't have swelling, intense itchiness and redness of the eye that increases, this would then be an allergic reaction and lashes need to be removed.

Totally agree! If you are using a glue with strong fumes, have your client keep their eyes closed for five minutes so the glue can cure a bit and then the fumes will subside a bit before they open their eyes.

Thanks ladies, she has just text me to say that it isn't any better and that quite a few lashes have fallen out and that she wants them removed and a refund. I don't understand why the lashes are falling out?? It's only been two days, I use the eyelash emporium premium glue, the lashes arr adhering & I'm brushing thru at the end & they're staying put. This happened on the last lady I practiced on but I thought it was down to the make up remover I used, so I bought oil free but she didn't have any make up on so I just used the primer.....

Thanks ladies, she has just text me to say that it isn't any better and that quite a few lashes have fallen out and that she wants them removed and a refund. I don't understand why the lashes are falling out?? It's only been two days, I use the eyelash emporium premium glue, the lashes arr adhering & I'm brushing thru at the end & they're staying put. This happened on the last lady I practiced on but I thought it was down to the make up remover I used, so I bought oil free but she didn't have any make up on so I just used the primer.....

Most likely they are falling out cause she keeps touching them. If her eye is irritated she probably can't keep her hands away from her eyes.

If you used gel pads they could have seeped into her eyes.

Also, did you leave about 1-2 mm gap between the eyelid and extension? Where lashes well isolated? Where there any stickies?

Sorry if too.many qs xxxx

Sent from my HTC Sensation XL with Beats Audio X315e using Tapatalk 2

Oh and just remembered - if you use tape and apply it too high it may scratch the eyeball as well x

Sent from my HTC Sensation XL with Beats Audio X315e using Tapatalk 2

Thanks ladies, I have spoken to her on the phone now and she is coming in tomorrow morning. She is basically saying that most of the lashes have fallen out on the outside of her right eye, so I told her that it was probable that it was due to the fact that she sleeps on her right side as we discussed at her appointment. She said that she hadn't been sleeping on either side as she didn't want to affect them. I told her that it was unlikely that glue went in to her eye as I don't use a lot of glue and she would have felt it straight away and that it was possibly down to the fumes but if she was really worried she should go to A&E or wait to see her Dr tomorrow. She is now saying that she is sure that glue went in to her eye as she felt it when she opened them but where the eye watered it washed it away. I re-iterated that it was highly unlikely but she then said glue definitely went in to my eye. She then said that she definitely wants them taken off now and she wants it done first thing before she sees her Dr which is fine. I haven't agreed to a refund and I haven't agreed that I have done anything wrong as I can't see that I have. I have tried to contact the insurance company but they are closed until tomorrow, so I will call them first thing but I'm concerned about removing them in case the removal causes a problem. She's saying that she hasn't been touching them a lot and the eye isn't as sore, she's just worried because it is still red. I didn't use the gel pads as i couldn't get them to keep all the lashes underneath so I used tape and I checked with her throughout that she was okay. We did a patch test on Friday at 5pm and she confirmed she had no reaction. The only other thing that I can think of is that she told me she had eye surgery in March where she had contact lenses sewn in to her eyes and maybe somehow an irritation has occurred?? I've attached the photos that I took directly after and the photos she has sent me since.............

Attachments

• IMG_1119.jpg
    IMG_1119.jpg
    143.7 KB · Views: 43,583
  • IMG_1123.jpg
    IMG_1123.jpg
    102 KB · Views: 5,785
  • IMG_1124.jpg
    IMG_1124.jpg
    138.2 KB · Views: 1,761
  • IMG_1125.jpg
    IMG_1125.jpg
    83.9 KB · Views: 5,919
  • IMG_1126.jpg
    IMG_1126.jpg
    98 KB · Views: 1,884
  • IMG_1127.jpg
    IMG_1127.jpg
    86.7 KB · Views: 1,671
She had the lashes done because she wanted them for New Years Eve, someone else was supposed to do them for her on Friday morning but didn't turn up and didn't answer her calls, so she booked in with me. I appreciate that she is disappointed that there has been some kind of irritation and that lashes have come out but I feel that it's almost a case of that the problem has occurred and the lashes haven't been perfect for the occasion that she wanted them for and that she is putting the blame solely on to me. I feel like I'm in catch 22, I would happily refund the money to her as I can understand that she is unhappy but if I refund the money and then her Dr agrees that glue has gone in to her eye and she wants to sue where do I stand with the insurance company? Does a refund not in itself admit liability? Plus what if she goes round telling everyone that I got glue in her eye when it's completely unfounded?

This is a great start to the New Year! :cry:

She had the lashes done because she wanted them for New Years Eve, someone else was supposed to do them for her on Friday morning but didn't turn up and didn't answer her calls, so she booked in with me. I appreciate that she is disappointed that there has been some kind of irritation and that lashes have come out but I feel that it's almost a case of that the problem has occurred and the lashes haven't been perfect for the occasion that she wanted them for and that she is putting the blame solely on to me. I feel like I'm in catch 22, I would happily refund the money to her as I can understand that she is unhappy but if I refund the money and then her Dr agrees that glue has gone in to her eye and she wants to sue where do I stand with the insurance company? Does a refund not in itself admit liability? Plus what if she goes round telling everyone that I got glue in her eye when it's completely unfounded?

This is a great start to the New Year! :cry:

I personally would stand my ground and NOT give her a refund. As for the insurance question that's a question only they can answer really. I presume you patch tested her?

At any point have you indicated that perhaps you got glue in her eye to her?

Ya know maybe she has had them for new year and decided she wants her £80 back? Or whatever you charge?

I would certainly have her back in AFTER the doctor has assessed her. Then remove them if medically advised but I think she may have made it worse by messing with them.

I use the same glue. I leave my clients 10 mins after the last lash is applied before I have them open their eyes.

I would say to her. There was no glue in your eyes, I don't use enough glue for it to run into your eyes and I know that your eye would be far worse. Be decent and honest but don't be a push over.

I would say they don't look very full but she has said she's lost some yeah x

She was patch tested on Friday at 5pm. I haven't made any kind of admission that I got any glue in to her eye because as far as I'm concerned I didn't, I would be mortified if I thought that I had and surely if lashes are falling it out it could be suggestive that I haven't used enough glue?? The first photo is one that I took directly after the application but she was more than happy with what had been done, if she wasn't I would have added more for her. I only left her with her lashes shut for a couple of minutes afterwards as I wasn't taught to leave them shut for 10 mins and the glue dries within 2-3 seconds, the lashes were brushed through and I ensured that none had stuck to the tape underneath. She had no problems opening her eyes, just said that it was stinging. So i asked her which one and she said the left so I asked her to turn her head to the side, it watered a little & then she said it was fine. At no point at that time did she make any indication that something was in her eye! She was happy with what had been done & she paid the money. Do you think I should go back to her then and ask her to see her GP first before I remove them? I really don't want to cause more irritation to them.

She was patch tested on Friday at 5pm. I haven't made any kind of admission that I got any glue in to her eye because as far as I'm concerned I didn't, I would be mortified if I thought that I had and surely if lashes are falling it out it could be suggestive that I haven't used enough glue?? The first photo is one that I took directly after the application but she was more than happy with what had been done, if she wasn't I would have added more for her. I only left her with her lashes shut for a couple of minutes afterwards as I wasn't taught to leave them shut for 10 mins and the glue dries within 2-3 seconds, the lashes were brushed through and I ensured that none had stuck to the tape underneath. She had no problems opening her eyes, just said that it was stinging. So i asked her which one and she said the left so I asked her to turn her head to the side, it watered a little & then she said it was fine. At no point at that time did she make any indication that something was in her eye! She was happy with what had been done & she paid the money. Do you think I should go back to her then and ask her to see her GP first before I remove them? I really don't want to cause more irritation to them.

Well if it was me I would ask her to see her doctor first before I removed them so I didn't irritate any further. I think she would find if she stopped playing and messing with them then she wouldn't need them removed at all.

I I ring her and say something along the lines of

"I patch tested you prior to the treatment to ensure there would be no reaction. At no point would
Glue be inside your eye, I can assure you your eye would have been a lot worse. I applied the lashes and on leaving you were happy with them as was I. I think you may have been a little sensitive to the glue but after seeking advice I can only suggest that you may have been touching your eyes and this has caused them to shed prematurely. Is it possible you have used a product with oil in. I would be happy to remove the lashes Free of charge but in my professional opinion I think she should first seek medical advice as I don't want to irritate your eyes further. Because you showed no signs of a reaction during the patch test and because the lashes were applied correctly I have a no refund policy but as a good will gesture can offer you £20 off any further treatments?

Hi I used to regularly get eyelashes done myself and they were great every time, one time the lady who did them for me used a different eye pad and I had a blood shot and sore eye for a few days, I think that I had a reaction to that pad, some people like myself also just have very sensitive eyes

Great response, I'm going to text her and say that after seeking advice I would prefer her to see her GP before she comes to me as I want to be sure that the irritation won't be worsened. I want to put it in text so that I have some documented account of what has been said. I will ask her to come and see me straight afterwards & perhaps ask her to sign something to say that the Dr has confirmed it is okay to remove the lashes. I will then consult the insurance company and confirm my position with them. I have no problem with refunding the money as I don't need the stress or the aggravation but I don't want to refund & leave myself open to further complications.

First of all don't panic as long as you are taking her concerns seriously that's. All you can do.
I would take the lashes off asap as whatever has happened she clearly has a problem . The removal should not make it worse just take your time, make sure you take all the remover away from the area with a damp not wet cotton pad if you are just starting out your adhesive should be a low fume one using the quick drying adhesives with mega fumes can be an irritant.if not handled In the correct way. Give her half her money back as good will gesture and think learning curve. If any glue had directly gone her eye believe me. She would have known about it. Good luck : :)

Thanks, I'm not panicking, I'm just disappointed, tired & a little bit poorly! And everything seems far worse than it probably is. I understand her point of view entirely and empathise what I don't like is her now saying after 48 hours that I definitely got glue in her eye, it just doesn't sit right with me because I am careful with everything that I do and take pride in what I do.

I contacted her and said that I have been advised not to remove the lashes before she has seen her GP. She has come back & said she went to boots & spoke to a pharmacist and now has drops & will see her GP in the morning of she feels she needs to & will contact me for removal.

I haven't had a problem with the glue so far, I used the slower glues previously but was finding that the lashes would clump together. I use a very small amount of glue, I run the lash through & if I can see little balls of glue on the lash I pat the lash on the stone to remove the excess. If anything I would say that it's possible the lashes have come out because I've not used enough glue!

Anyway, she has thanked me for my help and you're right I should just chalk it up to experience. It's just not a great start to the New Year but tomorrow will be a new day xx

Aw I feel for you Rainbow!:hug: I am new to lashes too. I think the set you did there looks ace! Any more would look too fake (unless thats the look the client wants). Glad you sorted it, and didn't let the client intimidate you!

SFG x

About a year ago, a regular client of mine for other treatments decided to have a set of lashes. Now she is in the business but as a mua & hair for weddings, lovely lady and we get on fab.

She contacted me after her lashes (think it was about a 5/7 days) saying she had had problems and seen her opticians who said glue had gone into her eye. She had used oil based products to take them out which obviously hadnt worked and had therefore yanked out her own lashes too.

long story short, there was lots of to and froing with advice etc. my trainers said if adhesive get into the eye it would feel like a grit of sand and it is highly unlikely it would stay in the eye. In the end she said that she was going to put it down to experience.

I thought I had lost her as a client but she still comes to me now and I brought up this experience about a month ago and she now says that she thinks it was just her and that she personally couldnt get used to having lashes and had been touching/ prodding which had made her eyes sore.

Hope this helps a little and you don't feel on your own....happens to us all xx

I can't see any way that glue can get in the eye.

Client's eyes are closed throughout the procedure and there is so little glue on the lash that it couldn't possibly run in.

Having said that, my guess would be that the reaction has been caused by the gel pads. She has then picked and rubbed and made it worse.

I would remove for free as a goodwill gesture (I can't see any reason why this would cause further problems)

I would tell her you have followed the correct procedures. Do not even suggest it may have been something you have done and don't give it another thought.

By all means, contact your insurer for advice (that is what you pay them for) but please don't worry or let this spoil your New Year. xxx

Completely agree with elliebee, as long as you are sure all is in order (particularly that non of the extensions are touching the eyelid) which it sounds as though you are, she has probably fiddled and made them tender. My lady was first problem I'd had in any area of my work and I worried such alot about it but it turned out that I need not have.

From your last posts it seems your client is already changing around so I wouldn't worry any more about it.

H xx

I wouldn't worry. I don't do lashes but sounds to me like she has been touching them way too much.

Also got to ask yourself why the original lasher didn't turn up and didn't answer her calls. I can see that her eyes are a little bloodshot but she is probably one major pain in the butt!

Latest posts

Back