Facial Cleansing Wipes

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Timeless Tanning

Reaction score
To all the Beauty Therapists on here, can I ask, do you ever use facial cleansing wipes to take off your make up or are they really not good for your skin?

My sister was told never to use them when she went for a spa day

Would be interested to hear your thoughts...

Jackie x

awful things - would never use them (even the 'gentle' ones of a similar name).

What is it that is so bad about them? Are they unhygienic?

Jackie x

Facial wipes may remove surface make up but they won't remove anything else which may go on to cause congestion and breakouts. Some brand are also quite harsh and can dry out the skin unnecessarily, again causing unwanted side effects.

The ideal way to cleanse is to first pre-cleanse, either with a special pre-cleanse solution or with your normal cleaner, this removes all the surface dirt and grime, and then you need to cleanse a second time to remove deeper dirt and oils.

Ideally you will then use a toner to remove all traces of cleanser!

In all honesty I can see the attraction of using wipes for speed and convenience, but do you know I can do a full cleanse on myself in under 2 minutes - not long is it - and also these wipes offer no actual benefits to the skin either.

Thanks for the advice.

I do cleanse, tone and moisturise and have done so since I was about 18 years old but sometimes it is tempting to buy these, especially for travelling etc....

I think I will stick to my normal routine.. I only normally cleanse once though before toning, is this not enough?

Jackie x

I was being lazy the other night and took my make-up off with a baby wipe and it really made my eyes sting! - and took twice as long so I may as well have stuck to my usual routine!

With the stinging eyes, I thought straight away that it was the wipe and was a bit miffed as these are used on babies but now thinking back, it could have been down to the rubbing! :rolleyes: That'll teach me!

They're bad for your skin - there's a brand I'm allergic to as well, wherever I "remove" it leaves redness behind it, in perfect wipe lines where the wip has touched!

I only normally cleanse once though before toning, is this not enough?

Jackie x

I double cleanse at night especially if I'm wearing make up, but normally only once in the morning.

URGH - facial wipes the bain of my life!

I am the same as most who have mentioned - my double cleanse takes literally 2 mins and my skin feels like new when I'm done!

Facial wipes don't work out that cheap either - work out how long your cleanser should last and then work out what it costs per cleanse and how much a wipe costs and you'll see!

Becki xxx

Thanks Ladies

I am definitely going to try the double cleanse routine when wearing make up and shall not be bothering with facial wipes.

Can I ask, how do you apply your cleanser?

Jackie x

I find facial wipes leave a greasy film on the skin- yuck!

I wet my skin and apply cleanser lightly massaging it over the face (as you're removing make up not rubbing the cleanser in). Then I rinse with water and tone with a damp cotton wool pad to make sure all the make up is off. Some people prefer not to use water and just remove it with a cotton wool pad with toner.

I double cleanse at night especially if I'm wearing make up, but normally only once in the morning.

Same for me. The circular movements when massaging the cleanser helps loosens and lifts the dirt and grim. I don't see how using a wipe will give a good cleanse?

Personally I associate cleansing wipes to baby wipes, wouldn't dream of putting it on my face :eek:.................

You lot are so good with your cleansing and toning, I'm afraid to admit I have slipped and do use the dreaded facial wipes . . .
and if I am REALLY tired and its REALLY late, I just cleanse off my foundation and leave on my mascara then top it up the next morning.

I KNOW, I KNOW . . . SHOCK HORROR :eek:
but maybe I'm just a slob at heart.
Sorry everyone. But I felt I just had to fess up to you all.

BTW - I would never recommend this routine to my clients. Do as I say not as I do.

You lot are so good with your cleansing and toning, I'm afraid to admit I have slipped and do use the dreaded facial wipes . . .
and if I am REALLY tired and its REALLY late, I just cleanse off my foundation and leave on my mascara then top it up the next morning.

I KNOW, I KNOW . . . SHOCK HORROR :eek:
but maybe I'm just a slob at heart.
Sorry everyone. But I felt I just had to fess up to you all.

BTW - I would never recommend this routine to my clients. Do as I say not as I do.

I admire your honesty tog!! :)

I must admit I leave my mascara on overnight as well, but never bother to top it up the next day.

Do as I say, not as I do is my philosphy too!! :lol:

I also never use wipes on my face. If i am completely shattered i have been known to leave my foundation on overnight-tut tut!
I never ever ever leave my eye make-up on though, no matter how tired i am. I have to get my mascara off as it makes my eyes sore if i leave it on overnight.
I also never use a toner.
I think we all have different ways of doing our facial routine and they are not neccessarily what we recommend to our clients :)

Night/evening cleansing routine.

(if wearing eye make-up)
take 2 cotton pads 1 sml squirt of eye make-up remover on each place on eyes leave for 10 seconds wipe down the eye.

Squirt cleanser in to hands it takes me 4/5 pumps as hardly any come's out apply all over the face just wipe it as if your putting moisturiser on almost massage lightly on the crease in your chin and the creases next to your nostrils as this is where a lot of people miss.

wipe off with damp cotton wool pad, damp face cloth, or i buy facial sponges from bodycare 4 pk for £1.50 or microfibre cloths with sponges inside my latest discovery also from bodycare there fantastic

Repeat a second time spending more time applying 2nd cleanse take off the same,

TONE(if spray bottle just spray onto face, very refreshing)

MOISTURISE

:D

Thanks Ladies

Your advice has been great. Started on the double cleansing routine last night and my skin felt a lot cleaner.

Jackie x

I do think this brings up a subject that we as therapists we can sometimes gloss over. I've lost count how many times I've heard therapists rush to sell a moisturiser & talk about the cleansers as though they were an afterthought, even saying you could get one from Boots!

The importance of perfectly & properly prepared skin is key in skincare, especially in the efficiency of those products applied subsequently. I think we often forget that not everyone knows how to cleanse properly. In fact, recently my sister-in-law bought some Decleor off me & after a week said she didn't feel she was benefiting from it as much as she should. Anyway, when she showed me what she was doing it all became clear, and after demonstrating how to use it properly she said it's made a tremendous difference. It's certainly made me ensure I never assume that someone knows how to use any product, no matter how simple.

Better off using a wet flannel (face washer) with just warm/hot water both on face and baby bottom than using wipes. Splashing cold water on your face after you cleans also has a toner effect.

A gentle and quick way to remove eye make up is to dab some eye cream on some cotton wool and wipe your make up away - cleans and moisturises at the same time.

That's my hand hints for when you're too tired to do the whole cleansing routine :green:

Latest posts

Back