Family expecting freebies!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
TipsToToes, I am horrified by your 'friends' :o x

Same! What an absolute cheek some people have! I am not looking forward to this part of the freelancing!

I would be buying a new lamp and sending the reciept to ure so called lamp cheek of some ppl honestly shocked is an understatement x

Talking of friends, i also had a friends child stand on my cnd uv lamp and break it. She didnt offer a penny toward it - despite me discounting all her treatments and have done for over a year - wasnt even that apologetic. Id nipped to kitchen to make her cuppa and he pulled it off my table then once on floor stood on it and jumped. So shes now full price also. Cruel but tough :)

Another thing re friends expecting freebies- i dont really tell them when im doing a course. When i did semi perm lashes i had a friend rattle on for months that she would "let me" practice on her after. When i got the balls to tell her i wasnt practicing i was doing them and this was the price she never booked in, funnily enough!

OMG. I would have insisted she purchase a new lamp for me. Having her pay full price for treatments is NOT being tough.

Oops just noticed should be friend not lamp lol x

Hi,
I am new to the site and this is only my second response, still learning. :rolleyes:
Having recently set up my business I needed to make a decision on what and who to charge. My Mum and children get free treatments but these must be in my quiet periods. I decided to give the rest of my family, which is large, a third off my pricesI. Best friends (2) get 10% off and everyone else pays full price.

OMG. I would have insisted she purchase a new lamp for me. Having her pay full price for treatments is NOT being tough.

Me too! I read this out to my boyfriend as I was in so much shock and he asked me how much a lamp is. When I told him he was like omg what a b****......x

TipsToToes, I am horrified by your 'friends' :o x

Its quite annoying isnt it. The friend who i did shellac on also sat asking me how much shellac bottles are...i told her as shes a friend so thought nothing of it but then she proceeded to say me charging £20 was ridiculous as id get loads of sets out of a bottle....my other half was horrified (and quite annoyed at me for not telling her to **** off!). Some people eh?!

Its surprising how little you get out of shellac (as its not thin like polish!!) so she made a bad assumption anyway!

Its quite annoying isnt it. The friend who i did shellac on also sat asking me how much shellac bottles are...i told her as shes a friend so thought nothing of it but then she proceeded to say me charging £20 was ridiculous as id get loads of sets out of a bottle....my other half was horrified (and quite annoyed at me for not telling her to **** off!). Some people eh?!

Its surprising how little you get out of shellac (as its not thin like polish!!) so she made a bad assumption anyway!

I say this in the most loving way possible my dear, but you are FAR too naive for your own good. Time to grow a backbone. And get some new friends. Seriously.

When you're starting out you just want to work, so you don't mind so much. Even though they should be supporting you and wanting you to earn money, not just after a freebie.

But think about when you get busy, you don't need family freebies filling your book. You want that space open to fill with a 'real' client.

It's nice to be able to offer something to family, but if your uncle was an electrician and came to change a plug, you'd at least pay materials. And it would be once in a blue moon. Not monthly beauty appointments, which if you were to add up over the year, you'd have a shock!

I gave all my family free tans while i was practising but made it clear to them that the next one would not be free, plus I used my samples on them so was a bit mean to charge them.
Now the only ones I do free is my daughter (cause she babysits for free) niece( cause she does my nails free) and 1 sister (cause she is always doing things for me) the rest pay the normal price, I agree you have to be firm from the beginning, I can't afford to do them all free or my kids won't be eating xx

That's what I do. If I get a new sample in I'll ask a friend or sister to be a guinea pig for that new product as a once off. After that they have to pay.

Funnily enough, I would do anything for my Mum for free...but I can never get her on the table...

I say this in the most loving way possible my dear, but you are FAR too naive for your own good. Time to grow a backbone. And get some new friends. Seriously.

Lol @ naive! I think i am a little too soft at times, not naive - as I get annoyed but just too soft to pipe up! I have learned the hard way... As most people sometimes do! X

Lol @ naive! I think i am a little too soft at times, not naive - as I get annoyed but just too soft to pipe up! I have learned the hard way... As most people sometimes do! X

put on your big girl panties and be a b*tch if you want to make something of yourself in this industry.

Start out right from the start.

I never have had anyone take advantage until i met my boyfriends mom.
Started out with the odd shellac here and turned into colour,cuts,nails all the time. The first time after i had finished her first set of nails her husband asked how much do i owe you and she answered before i could she is not going to charge me she has dinner here!!!

Then it was a cut every couple of weeks and always a you can take more off the next time never a thank you.

She wanted her hair coloured and i told her to come into the salon which she did. She told everyone i was really nervous which i was not just really busy and could not stand around and chat.

The morning of she was leaving for her holidays she asked me to cut her hair,i had no scissors and was not doing a 2 hour trip to get them so she caused a fuss and went to the local salon and raved how great they were and telling her daughter to go to them.

She asked me to do her colour at home from now on because she did not want to pay for it!!!

Enough was enough. I have stopped doing any treatments at all.
I told her i am not in training and cannot afford to be paying for peoples treatments. She had alot to say i am sure but i do not care.

She got her colour done somewhere else and said can you believe they charged me this amount,i was quick to say thats how much it costs for products and time.

Bet she is kicking herself now.

So now i make sure to be upfront with a price BEFORE starting a treatment and charge everyone but my mom. Lesson learned.

I actually wouldn't charge my boyfriend's mum! She always gives me dinner and goes out her way to make an effort when I'm there plus has paid for a hotel for us on his birthday so I'd just feel bad lol! How soft is that... I know I'll regret it eventually.

I havn't actually given her a treatment yet but if I know her at all she wouldn't leave me empty handed anyway x

I really recommend you get this sorted from the start. I have been really stupid! I feel terrible when friends ask for a treatment, I nearly give it away. In fact I have a friend and her friend round tonight for shellac mani and pedi, and I'm charging them both half price! I know, I know it's stupid! I kinda always feel guilty and before I know it I've said what I'll do it for then I can't take it back! However I am running a business not a charity so no more! That's why you need to be clear on your prices and discounts right from the start.

Also don't and won't charge my mum or sister. My mum just gives me a £20 here and there, she also paid for my uv lamp and always helps me out so won't charge. Also my sister is a photographer so I get lots of photos for the kids free.

Latest posts

Back