Fathers Day

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

UKRed

Reaction score
It's coming up to father's day again, and as most of you know my father passed away on 25/03/07... well I have made a small flower bed in our window box with a 'dad's garden' stake in it as a memorial thing as I can't get to overdale (where his memorial stone is) very often.

I often think he may think I have forgotten him so I was thinking of naming a star in his name for father's day.... do you think it is a waste of money?

Send someone into orbit - name a star, 50% off RRP

hi ukred...was thinking same thing a few days ago as its coming upto fathers day my dad passed away on 7\01\2000 and when i read ur thread it bought a tear to my eye ...i do not think you have wasted money hun as u said it is to the memory of ur dad and i personally say it is a lovely idea and gesture ..it is something named after ur dad for u to treasure ...7 yrs ago i bought a small rose bush to plant in my garden as i moved away from where my dad rests....it has grown into a fine rose tree and blooms every spring to near on end of october thats my treasure and memory of my dad cos he loved his roses.

jx

Darling, your dad knows you think of him everyday. He knows you will never forget him.

I lost my dad 2 years ago and we dont have a particular place (memorial or grave) for him, he is in mum's front room keeping an eye on us all. I dont think you have to go to a place to remember someone. That place to me is in my heart.

Last edited:
My Dad died 30 years ago at the age of 47, he had given me away about a month previously..we didnt have a bush or any place to go to remember him, not a day goes by I dont think about him, and I know he is always with me, when I need him I can feel him there.
I think the star is a lovely idea and if it helps you as well all the better, but your Dad will now he is not forgotten

Remember me when I am gone away,
Gone far away into the silent land;
When you can no more hold me by the hand,
Nor I half turn to go yet turning stay.
Remember me when no more day by day
You tell me of our future that you plann'd:
Only remember me; you understand
It will be late to counsel then or pray.
Yet if you should forget me for a while
And afterwards remember, do not grieve:
For if the darkness and corruption leave
A vestige of the thoughts that once I had,
Better by far you should forget and smile
Than that you should remember and be sad.

Christina Rossetti

That poem made me cry :cry:

I don't know if I am going to buy the star yet but thank you for your opinions :hug: you guys are the best

Rather than a star how about getting him something a bit more close to home..A tree.
There are quite a few websites where you can buy a tree to be planted somewhere on earth to replenish the terrible loss there is everyday from deforestation you can get a certificate to say where it is etc in a similar way you do with a star.
The Woodland Trust you can have 3 trees for 25 pound.

Last edited:
Your not alone lots of us dont have our Dads around anymore and We all do different things to keep their Memory going.
I did a website page on go to soon for my Dad and post happy birthday etc on there and yep it helps me :hug:

It's coming up to father's day again, and as most of you know my father passed away on 25/03/07... well I have made a small flower bed in our window box with a 'dad's garden' stake in it as a memorial thing as I can't get to overdale (where his memorial stone is) very often.

I often think he may think I have forgotten him so I was thinking of naming a star in his name for father's day.... do you think it is a waste of money?

Send someone into orbit - name a star, 50% off RRP

I think its a beautiful idea,and when you look to the stars,you will know his name is up there amongst them,,my dad passed a few years ago too, my moms gone too,and my brother ,miss them so much :cry:

Last edited:
My dad passed away 21/04/2004 and I miss him every day. I agree that I might not be able to see or touch him but I know he's with me all the time (well hopefully he gives me some privacy when I'm on the loo - sorry) I planted a clematis in our back garden when he died and every year when it bursts into bright purple and white flowers I smile as he loved gardening and would have been jealous of my lovely blooms!!

Do whatever you think you need to do hun to only you will know if its the right way to keep him close to your heart :hug:

Thank you for all your comments and sugestions and I am sorry for everyones loss or if I have brought back thoughts of a loved ones death :hug: I am glad I am not the only one though, and I LOVE the tree idea xx

Latest posts

Back