Feel like throwing the towel in

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Don't know if some one has already said this but it sounds like it is your mums "junk" thats annoying you lol do you give her any money for the space? maybe if you offer to rent the garrage she might be sweetened enough to move her stuff?
also summer and warmer temps are on the way , get a few spot lights put up from ikea cople of nice posters and a cople of tall leafy palm type plants , paint the briks white add a big mirror it will lighten it up no end and could look really good! maybe by next winter you would have saved enough to add heating ect? just because the one you have now dosent really work dosent mean you cant get another :o)
get creative it dosent have to cost a fourtune to look good and you can add to it, good luck.

Thanks soooo much for all your help and advice and do you know what on here i get more support in many ways than i do with people around me ( i think i tend to hassle the people around me)

In the mean time im back into my bedroom whilst im saving to sort out the garage.

My mum has now also agreed to let me have the whole garage rather than half which im very pleased with.

I have got a quote from one of my friends partners who is a plasterer and he quoted me 450 to plaster the walls.
And been quoted 170.00 for the radiator to be put in.

I also need a new door put on as the other one is useless.

Just need to get saving to do this i think it will take a few months but im sure ill get there.
I just hope my clients dont judge me as im working from a bedroom.
again thanks so much xxxxx

Don't give up! I know things get stressful sometimes but have a break and a cuppa and look at it with fresh eyes.
How about hanging up some gorgeous curtains around the walls? It should help keep the heat in and hide the brick work, while making it a feel a bit more cosy. A bit of voile and some lighting works wonders! Also why not try incorporating an infrared lamp into some of your treatments, such as massage to keep things warm until the summer. (You can get some cheap stuff from eBay)

Good Luck sweetheart! You can do it!

You can actually do the garage insulation yourself. You put up slim batons of wood, loft insulation, the stuff you buy in rolls, goes up between the batons and then plaster board over the lot. The draft from the garage door is easily fixed with a draft excluder strip.
Your other option is to pay commission on a room not flat rent. I have had a few text messages from hair dressers offering to rent me a room, I've done this before and it wouldn't work for me at the moment. However if I was interested I would go see them and tell them that I would not be willing to pay a flat rent and risk being out of pocket but that I would be willing to give them 25% of my takings in return for use of the room, their phone, credit card machine and their staff taking bookings for me and somewhere prominent in the street side window for me to advertise that I'm there.
Hun we have said this to you before, you need to pass your driving test.
Get a 0% credit card and do an intensive course. Around here you can pick up a little car for £300 and then you have you freedom to run your business your way.
At the moment you are like me, I'm jumping around looking for something to do and ending up going around in circles, for me its because at the moment I don't even know which country I'll be living in for Christmas and until I do I can't move forward, I think for you its because are desparte to be independant. In your first steps towards that you have to compramise and you don't like that, I don't either, but if you are going to get anywhere in this you have to:hug:

You can actually do the garage insulation yourself. You put up slim batons of wood, loft insulation, the stuff you buy in rolls, goes up between the batons and then plaster board over the lot. The draft from the garage door is easily fixed with a draft excluder strip.
Your other option is to pay commission on a room not flat rent. I have had a few text messages from hair dressers offering to rent me a room, I've done this before and it wouldn't work for me at the moment. However if I was interested I would go see them and tell them that I would not be willing to pay a flat rent and risk being out of pocket but that I would be willing to give them 25% of my takings in return for use of the room, their phone, credit card machine and their staff taking bookings for me and somewhere prominent in the street side window for me to advertise that I'm there.
Hun we have said this to you before, you need to pass your driving test.
Get a 0% credit card and do an intensive course. Around here you can pick up a little car for £300 and then you have you freedom to run your business your way.
At the moment you are like me, I'm jumping around looking for something to do and ending up going around in circles, for me its because at the moment I don't even know which country I'll be living in for Christmas and until I do I can't move forward, I think for you its because are desparte to be independant. In your first steps towards that you have to compramise and you don't like that, I don't either, but if you are going to get anywhere in this you have to:hug:

Thanks hun. Thats interesting advice im going to look that up. Im going to give a call round some local hair dressers and see if they would take a certain % rather than a flat rate i think this would work better for me and at least i would know im not out of pocket.

I just wish money wasnt such a big issue and it is everything is just so expensive at the moment all my earnings are going into my courses pot for my CND and waxing course ive already paid the deposits.
I wish i could get a credit card or some kind of loan but i cant as my credit rating is so bad they wouldnt even give me a penny :irked:

What i really need is an 'extra income' for now to get me on my feet so i will have enough money for the garage conversion and for my driving.

fingers crossed i can find a hairdressers that will be kind enough to take a % rather than a set amount
xxxx

When your garage is fully converted, make sure you get someone out to check it from the local council. I know all councils are differant, but most want building regs, if not full planning for garage conversions. There are ways round it, (ie if you dont put a window in) but check first. Last thing you want is to get up and running, to be shut down again! I have a cabin in my garden and I still had to get a health and safety check, although not planning as I dont have running water. Good luck, and keep positive:hug:

It looks like you want to run before you can walk....i know that feeling all too well....working for someone else is something that you could consider to get to where you want to be at....i speak from experience here.....sometimes sacrifices have to be made and i think bagpuss made a valid point somewhere here.

I do truly hope that things work out...i think you are are half way there though:hug:

Thanks hun. Thats interesting advice im going to look that up. Im going to give a call round some local hair dressers and see if they would take a certain % rather than a flat rate i think this would work better for me and at least i would know im not out of pocket.

I just wish money wasnt such a big issue and it is everything is just so expensive at the moment all my earnings are going into my courses pot for my CND and waxing course ive already paid the deposits.
I wish i could get a credit card or some kind of loan but i cant as my credit rating is so bad they wouldnt even give me a penny :irked:

What i really need is an 'extra income' for now to get me on my feet so i will have enough money for the garage conversion and for my driving.

fingers crossed i can find a hairdressers that will be kind enough to take a % rather than a set amount
xxxx

I know what you mean hun about plouging what you make back into training etc., but look as it as an investment. I am a bit like that at the moment too, seem to be paying out a lot, but it is all worthwhile as I am sure you know.

Re. your clients, they wont mind hun I am sure of that, they are getting a fab treatment with someone who is training hard and striving towards their goal. It wont be like this forever and you have to remind yourself of that. xxxx:hug:

I've been in salons where the bed is surrounded by those hospital screens on wheels.
Maybe you could use those as a temporary option. Makes it nice and cosy.
I had a wall in my salon covered with hardboard to cover an ugly wall. It was only for the back of a mirrored wardrobe but it was very cheap and look ok. Another easy way to cover walls is to artex them.
You can't give up just cos things aren't going as you hoped. It's a hard lesson, but sometimes the difference between failure and success is persistance!

I understand your frustration about your garage and how you feel it's not up to par. You have a dream and when you look at your garage or your current situation you realise your dream isn't quite there yet... BUT it IS getting there!!

I'm sure many of us have had moments where we want to 'pack it in' for what ever reason. I had a moment like that recently when I did a french rebalance and my smile line was crap - that customer isn't coming back - and I thought, "I'm not good at this, I should just give up".

... im a bit of a self made person ...

I can tell from the above quote, that you have drive and direction it's just going to take a little longer to get there :green:

When you feel like giving up just think about all the blood sweat and tears you have already put in. You will do fine and you have already started to solve your problems. Don't let this stop you. xxx

Guys you are all so wonderful and i can honestly say you all keep me going when i feel like things are not going right. You make me see things from a different light and in a different way.

Im not going to give up now as you said sknight ive put in too much effort and time and concerntration and money to give up now.

I can just be a little impatient :smack:

Is this the room you have pics of in your profile? The room looks nice, great colour on the walls and the brick looks fine, so does the curtain.
Some nice posters on the walls or pictures will add a lovely touch.
Having looked at these pics... I have to say Don't be too hard on yourself.

Is this the room you have pics of in your profile? The room looks nice, great colour on the walls and the brick looks fine, so does the curtain.
Some nice posters on the walls or pictures will add a lovely touch.
Having looked at these pics... I have to say Don't be too hard on yourself.

Yes thats the room hun! It does look good (kinda) but doesnt feel good :lol: Its freeezing cold i thought a portable heater would heat it up nicely but it doesnt heat it up enough and eats up electric like there is no tommorow.

The curtain you see is to cover the garage doors there is another curtain in their which is on the otherside which is guarding off the other part of the garage where my mum stores her i call it junk she calls it gardening stuff. and you can see whats behind their.

What i need in garage is:

A new door as the current one has a gap in it and it lets in a draft
Need the walls plastered or Mdf board up and a new lick of paint
A radiator installed
and the rest of the garage (which my mum agreed to now give me)

Yes thats the room hun! It does look good (kinda) but doesnt feel good :lol: Its freeezing cold i thought a portable heater would heat it up nicely but it doesnt heat it up enough and eats up electric like there is no tommorow.

The curtain you see is to cover the garage doors there is another curtain in their which is on the otherside which is guarding off the other part of the garage where my mum stores her i call it junk she calls it gardening stuff. and you can see whats behind their.

A radiator installed

Hmm I wonder if there is a way of temporarily blocking up the gaps in the garage door, e.g. by using that expanding foam filler stuff that they use for filling in gaps when installing windows? Even if not cosmetically perfect, it would be obscured by the curtain anyway, and could be a cheap way of stopping most of the draughts without going to the expense of getting it bricked in properly...

A radiator installed

Hmm, if the garage door is the only way into the garage, and you need it for access (and there's no internal door from the house into the garage) then my idea to try and seal it using expanding foam filler probably wouldn't work. However, if it's a normal door (as opposed to a garage door of the sort that lifts up and over) with the draught, then maybe you could get some draught excluder strips from a DIY store to use on it?

Hmm, if the garage door is the only way into the garage, and you need it for access (and there's no internal door from the house into the garage) then my idea to try and seal it using expanding foam filler probably wouldn't work. However, if it's a normal door (as opposed to a garage door of the sort that lifts up and over) with the draught, then maybe you could get some draught excluder strips from a DIY store to use on it?

The garage is connected to three doors one is the garage doors which lead you to outside the front of the house then you have the back door and then there is another door which is leading you into the house.

Filling the gaps is a good idea im going to have a look around on the internet to see how to do it etc

thanks ruth xx

The garage is connected to three doors one is the garage doors which lead you to outside the front of the house then you have the back door and then there is another door which is leading you into the house.

Filling the gaps is a good idea im going to have a look around on the internet to see how to do it etc

thanks ruth xx

Cool :)

That expanding foam filler stuff is good - it might seem expensive for how much you get in a tin, but it'll cost a lot less than a new door or bricking in where the garage door was. Maybe you could use some lengths of wood to put around the gaps between the door, then paint them white or whatever, then use the foam filler to add extra insulation in the gaps... would be stronger and look better than just the foam filler on its own...

Great idea thank you! im going to look into it xx

Another option (which I think someone also said) was the possibility of putting up a "stud partition" wall in the garage - that can be done easily using wooden battens, and either plasterboard or chipboard for the wall itself. Have already done that for the cupboard above our stairs - where there were originally two little cupboards - one from our big master bedroom, the other from our little front bedroom - backing on to each other - but I turned it in to one big cupboard in the little front bedroom. I used the wooden battens and chipboard for that, then just wallpapered over the chipboard, and it worked fab. A bit sturdier than plasterboard too (but then I do like to over-engineer my DIY jobs just to be on the safe side)...

Another option (which I think someone also said) was the possibility of putting up a "stud partition" wall in the garage - that can be done easily using wooden battens, and either plasterboard or chipboard for the wall itself. Have already done that for the cupboard above our stairs - where there were originally two little cupboards - one from our big master bedroom, the other from our little front bedroom - backing on to each other - but I turned it in to one big cupboard in the little front bedroom. I used the wooden battens and chipboard for that, then just wallpapered over the chipboard, and it worked fab. A bit sturdier than plasterboard too (but then I do like to over-engineer my DIY jobs just to be on the safe side)...

Yes that does sound likea great idea how much did it cost you to do that?xx

Latest posts

Back