First paying customer wants to use her own solution?

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pauladee

Reaction score
Hi!

I have been spraying friends up until now and have just had a request for a spray tan this evening, however she would like me to use her own solution. Would you go ahead and do this and should I ask her what solution it is? I have never used anything else besides my own!
:Scared:

You could if you wanted to but it will be the same price and there are zero guarantees if it comes out streaky or all washes off etc.

If she doesn't want the to pay the price tell her thank you very much but you can't help her.

Thanks!

I have told her I will do it, and am charging my usual price which she is happy with. I will reiterate to her about using her own solution and that there are no guarantees.

Excited and nervous as this is my first 'stranger' customer!

Personally I wouldn't... If it's a horrid colour or anything she won't comment on the solution just tell people you done it x

Sent from my GT-I9100 using SalonGeek

As this is a new customer and not someone you know, I would personally feel that caution is required and I would call your insurance company to check that you will be covered to apply someone else's solution (that you don't know where it's come from or even if it's genuine) before going ahead.

I would be very cautios spraying someone with their own solution.

As has already been said you do not know the quality of it, the freshness of it (could be gone off or anything), the suitability of it to go through your equipment - may not even be a spray tan solution she wants you to use, also you will need to play about with your gun/machine getting the correct setting for this other solution.

Good luck with it as you have already said you will do it but I would recommend you take some of your solution (in different percents) with you just incase when you get there it is not the correct type of solution or you just find it's gone off or whatever. If you have your solution you can still spray her and get paid.

Personally I would have been asking for more than my normal tan price for this service as my time spent getting the solution and gun set etc... & time is money afterall.

Thanks for all your replies, I was a bit of an eager beaver agreeing to it before getting all your responses.

I use Nouvatan and she has now informed me that she has Fake Bake. I am in turmoil now and not sure if I should cancel but that could mean losing a customer and potentially brandishing my name :smack:

It totally your choice to do it or not but one thing to bair in mind that the consistency will be different and you may have to adjust your gun :-D

Sent from my LT18i using SalonGeek

Don't stress about it, it can be scary when doing your first customer who isn't someone you already know. Just make sure its definitely a solution that is suitable for spray tans and let her know that as you haven't used Fake Bake solution before so you cannot guarantee the final outcome - colour / fade off etc as you don't have any personal experience of it x

Oh she just cancelled on me so that's that dilemma sorted! Lesson learnt ;)

Don't worry im sure there will be some genuine clients along soon :-D

Sent from my LT18i using SalonGeek

Fate!! She cancelled and you probably feel relieved now? I would be unhappy using someone else's solution and I've been tanning for a while.
You need to make sure your first paid tanning client does exactly what you want as you will worry enough without extra factors.
Don't let your confidence get ruined so early on.

Good luck when you do get your first client, I'm sure it will all be fine :) xx

another factor in using a different solution is consistency. You have your gun settings for the solution you use. some solutions are thicker than others. My main worry would be that the fake bake was thinner and came out in an awful mess. Stick to your gut instinct. REmember you have researched these products and you have trained with them and practiced with them. For someone to ask you to use a different solution could end up making you look a complete novice. Im glad she cancelled on you though, I think you would have been more stressed than enough. there will be plenty people out there wanting to pay you for your expertise and product. xx:hug:

Thanks everyone! I definitely felt relieved! Onwards and upwards :) :hug:

Just read this and my curiosity has been aroused...:wink2:.. Why would someone have a bottle of spray tan solution without a machine to spray it with?
Im going along the lines of if she's another tanner, then she would have her own machine (tanning yourself ain't easy..most of us have tried it and failed..lol), so you could understand getting another tanner to spray you, but just having a bottle of solution?? Weird. Which leads me to the 'Ive bought a bottle off Fleabay cos it'll be cheaper doing it myself' ,then realised it's not what she's used to (rub on stuff from chemists etc) so tried getting someone with a machine to use it perhaps?
I think her cancelling is the best result as the solution could've come from anywhere and to buy it from FB you need an account...they don't just sell one bottle to just anyone..
Or is it just me being suspicious....I wouldn't do it, full stop. Wouldn't want to take any chance on my reputation being jeopardised....

I know, it was very odd! I have definitely learnt from this though, and won't be so willing next time! Need to get my business head on rather than my friendly wanting to help everyone head! x

I don't think it's odd at all, she might have someone who usually sprays her but uses a different solution to fake bake and this girl just likes fake bake. Her regular spray tan tech might not have been able to spray her for whatever reason so she asked you.

I spray someone who has a bottle of LA Disco cos she likes to be dark, but I use Nouvatan. She doesn't have enough tans for it to be worth my whole buying LA just for her so she bought a bottle from eBay and I spray her with it. Could be a similar situation maybe...

I don't think it's odd at all, she might have someone who usually sprays her but uses a different solution to fake bake and this girl just likes fake bake. Her regular spray tan tech might not have been able to spray her for whatever reason so she asked you.

I spray someone who has a bottle of LA Disco cos she likes to be dark, but I use Nouvatan. She doesn't have enough tans for it to be worth my whole buying LA just for her so she bought a bottle from eBay and I spray her with it. Could be a similar situation maybe...
That is interesting. Have you checked with your insurance to ensure you are covered to do this service?

Maybe she got it as a sample and wants to try it out xx

Sent from my GT-S5839i using SalonGeek

Latest posts

Back