Fish pedicures

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Amberbrown

Reaction score
yeah, this stuff started in china ages ago !!!
sounds kinna gross though. little fishes having breakfast,lunch and dinner with your feet!!!! eiw....

I feel sick already, wonder if the fish survived :green:

Eeeeeeewwwwwwwwwwwwhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!

This thought of this makes my flesh crawl - well, I have got a fish phobia:Scared::Scared::Scared:

I think they are a species of Garra and they are extremely effective. I frequently have my arms in one of my tanks and the danio's and congo tetra will nibble my arms and fingers. I love it (when the kids have friends round they ask me to do it so their friends can see :lol: ). I'd go for one of these pedicures anyday! :hug:

It does look gross but it actually works,i'm with you on that one min, i used to keep 3 discus fish i had a loach in the tank to take care of their scales and it kept them healthy,one day i put hand in the tank to take out the filter to clean it and the loach was sucking at my hand and cleaning the scaly dry skin i had on my fingers. i read of some girl from Glasgow that is a psoriasis sufferer she went on holiday to turkey i think and had one of these treatments but she sat in a whole bath full of them and after the treatment her scaly red patches were reduced and cleared up.Garra rufa fish are known as sucking loaches. They live in hot pools where it is said to feed on the skin scales of bathers which they like doing and completely harmless, reducing dermatitis and other associated skin illnesses hence being named as the doctor fish.

i would certainly have a treatment like this anyday if i had a skin problem.

Last edited:
me too, I'd def go for it! sounds pretty interesting, if I lived in the US I'd give it a try

We finally got them over here in the USA.
People seem skeeved, but, hey, if it works!

Kathleen

What about the waste that the fish produce. Lets face it, if its going in-its coming out somewhere!:Scared:Not to mention the procedures we have perform after each service. I just don't understand how this can be sanitary!

What about the waste that the fish produce. Lets face it, if its going in-its coming out somewhere!:Scared:Not to mention the procedures we have perform after each service. I just don't understand how this can be sanitary!

Apparently the high temperature of the water they use makes it difficult for anything bacterial and fungal to survive ,they also use U.V rays that kill the bacteria and the water is constantly filtered to rid it of waste . garra rufa fish and sucking loaches and plecos cannot transmit viruses from one person to another as their saliva contains a certain enzyme that heals and cleans the skin, these little nibblers and suckers are known for their abilities to eat away dead skin to reveal healthy, new and glowing skin..they love it and just can't get enough of it.

Last edited:
hi sorry i dont mean to offend anyone, but my personal view is, the thought of me doing that has made me feel quite sick, and makes me cringe.

but i feel the need to defend myself in advance - that doesnt mean i think bad of anyone who likes it.

xxxxxxx

there is another thread about this too

http://www.salongeek.com/skin-geek/76866-fishy-pedicure.html

I have just seen this on the news. My first thought was eww, but after having seen them in action and heard the facts I have changed my mind. The fish are tiny, the water was crystal clear and in fact, in theory sounds far more sanitary than the rasps and grater thingies I have seen some people use.

The fish gently nibble any dead skin, they have no teeth so it is very gentle, the only problem I can see is if you have a client who is very ticklish. The reporter interviewed those that had had a treatment and most said it was very pleasant and left their feet smooth and yes, they would do it again.

Hi, I live in DC and this has been all over the news....a group of my friends and I are supposed to go in about a month...I just want to be able to say I did it....wish me luck

Hi, I live in DC and this has been all over the news....a group of my friends and I are supposed to go in about a month...I just want to be able to say I did it....wish me luck

good luck paige...let us know how it went...would love to hear your experiance:hug:

I had a kind of free version of this - in Cyprus 4 weeks ago, we were wading out in the beautiful sea, several couples, quite far out, all of a sudden I felt something nip my foot! I screamed, more out of surprise than anything, when I said I'd been bitten, you should've seen how quick all the people get out of the sea:green: (actually, so did I:eek:)

I'll tell you though, when we got out, and had a proper look at my foot, I'd previously had a blister which was healing, it had just the edges left IYKWIM, the remains of my small blister were gone, no sore bits, no blood, in fact no trace.

Yep, I'd definitely have a go!

To tell you the truth i kinda get the chills just thinking about it but i suppose i would try it for once if i ever had the chance just for the experience!
But yeah it's kinda disgusting!

here is one i found out of interest for the thread..a girl with psoriasis in a therapy"cure" pool ..the guy actually drinks the clear filterd water(don't know about that)

YouTube - Psoriasis

errrrr herrrrrrrrrr herrrrrrrrrrrrrr!!!!! NO NO NO I hate fish.....:irked:

Latest posts

Back