Frightened of French Manicures. HELP!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mrs.Clooney

Positive Geek
Reaction score
I feel comfortable a confident when applying a French with gel, but am nervous as hell with a French mani. My smiles go all wonky and I end up with white polish all around the fingers and over myself and I feel a failure. Did a bride and bridesmaid a week ago, and although they said they were satisfied, I don't think they were happy. I know I wasn't! I have another bride and bridesmaids next weekend (all wanting French) and I don't want to disappoint them. I have just done a French mani with pink shimmer on my 11yr old daughter and it looks lovely but I was like a commanding officer barking orders at her and it took me ages to do. I can't treat my clients like that. Any suggestions or similar feelings please?

you are soooo not alone,just had client 10 mins ago who wanted french but then changed to one colour,was soooo pleased as i was dreading it.cant offer an advice though as i have nightmares too

that link was really interesting Lell, I missed it first time round, thank you for posting it.

I used to have a real hangup over french polishing but now i'm more confident. It's not the easiest of services to do, practise makes perfect and the more you do the more confident you become.
I'm also a non-breather lol, take in a gulp of air (without even thinking about it) and don't let that breath out until i've done the nail lol, I'm the same with nailart acrylic painting.
You mustn't feel a failure MrsC :hug: we've all been there at some point or other whether it's french polishing or something else.
have you tried practising on a friend or the wasted nail tip cut-offs?

I've spent most of the day doing painted french manicures...my trick is...

Paint the first coat of white on with a thin paintbrush and acrylic paint.

I do this because I can get a really neat smile, a nice shape, and tuck the curve into the corners, rather that have the smile straight.

I base coat, then paint on my pink. The paint my smile line in acrylic paint, then I use my white enamel over the top, just sweeping it lightly across. The enamel floods into the acrylic paint and stays within it. No seepage!!

I find this lasts just aslong as a normal french, maybe even longer. Some of my clients can hold their frenchs for upto a week before chipping sets in.

:cool:

hi, Laystar,

what is the Acrylic paint and where can you get it?

LayStar said:
I've spent most of the day doing painted french manicures...my trick is...

Paint the first coat of white on with a thin paintbrush and acrylic paint.

I do this because I can get a really neat smile, a nice shape, and tuck the curve into the corners, rather that have the smile straight.

I base coat, then paint on my pink. The paint my smile line in acrylic paint, then I use my white enamel over the top, just sweeping it lightly across. The enamel floods into the acrylic paint and stays within it. No seepage!!

I find this lasts just aslong as a normal french, maybe even longer. Some of my clients can hold their frenchs for upto a week before chipping sets in.

:cool:

ValencianNails said:
that link was really interesting Lell, I missed it first time round, thank you for posting it.

I used to have a real hangup over french polishing but now i'm more confident. It's not the easiest of services to do, practise makes perfect and the more you do the more confident you become.
I'm also a non-breather lol, take in a gulp of air (without even thinking about it) and don't let that breath out until i've done the nail lol, I'm the same with nailart acrylic painting.
lmao i too am a non breather when doing a french but also a nose dribbler :o

Still can't do them! French Manicures are so last season anyway, who in their right mind wants one lol!!!

ValencianNails said:

You mustn't feel a failure MrsC :hug: we've all been there at some point or other whether it's french polishing or something else.
have you tried practising on a friend or the wasted nail tip cut-offs?

I've considered buying a trainer hand to practice whenever but they are quite expensive for me at the mo. I'm also thinking of calling a really easy going, laid back client to ask if I can practice French mani on her, at no charge to her of course. Is this professional?

mamma said:
hi, Laystar,

what is the Acrylic paint and where can you get it?

Yes, please do tell, what is acrylic paint and where and how? I am willing to explore anything that will help.

Ok, I don't know how much help this will be to you chick, but this is how I do my Frenchies.

I use a really thin layer on the first coat - as sort of a base to get the shape of the smile line right

AND I DON'T WORRY ABOUT GETTING ANY POLISH ON THE TIPS OF THE FINGERS!!!!

Next, I apply a 2nd coat which is a tiny bit thicker than the first. This will build up the colour and give a bit more definition to the shape.

After I've finished all fingers and thumbs (while holding my breath and sticking my tongue out in super concentration mode!!):lol: , I take an orange wood stick, wrap the tip in a sliver of cotton wool, dip it in nail varnish remover and clean the tips of the fingers.

Yes, it may take a wee bit extra time, but you will end up with great Frenchies - all my clients have been delighted with mine. (I think!!)

Oh - and practice really does make perfect.
Good luck my lovely - let me know how you are getting on.

Love and pretty pink flowers,:hug:

i have to say that i use an off white polish when i do frenchies. I find its a bit more forgiving than the bright white!!!

However practice makes perfect.

Good luck hun.
xxx

i base coat, paint on a thin layer of white trying to get a resonable smile line, but not breaking my heart over it. then i use a polish remover pen to crisp up the smiles [i find theyre a bit firmer than cotton buds etc. and easier to get an accurate result with] then i second coat with white not going beyond the smile[use remover pen if i do]. finaly apply my sheer pink or clear. clean the finger tips of any stray bits of polish with the pen while the nails are drying and then go in with my top coat. i often find that clients are impressed with the remover pen and purchase one for their own use.

acrylic paint, for those who were asking is a water based paint that we often use for nail art. buy it from your local craft shop. :green:

Sassy Hassy said:
Just saw these polish pens on e-bay and wondered if anyone has tried them?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Nail-Polish-in-a-Pen-French-Manicure-the-easy-way_W0QQitemZ5602995741QQcategoryZ106375QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

I have such a fear of FMs, I just can't get my head round them - or my polish brush!

Thanks Sassy Hassy. I'm a bit nervouse of Ebay as I've heard so many horror stories recently, especially about nail products. If, French mani is so easy with these then I would also like to know if anyone knows of these?

When I first started French Mani's they looked like someone had put tipex along the free edge!!!!

Now I use Creative enamels and swipe one coat along all ten fingers (dont worry too much about how great the smile line looks) wait a good 2 mins and then I go again with white (or what ever colour Im using) and wait again for another 2 mins and then I get out my old acrylic brush and nailfresh and tidy up and create my perfect smile line!! (another fab tip by Gigi!!!) and then I apply the top colour and top coat, this method lasts for up to 2 weeks, (depending on what type of job the client has!!)

Done loads lately and not had one complaint!!!!!

Lollipop said:
When I first started French Mani's they looked like someone had put tipex along the free edge!!!!

Now I use Creative enamels and swipe one coat along all ten fingers (dont worry too much about how great the smile line looks) wait a good 2 mins and then I go again with white (or what ever colour Im using) and wait again for another 2 mins and then I get out my old acrylic brush and nailfresh and tidy up and create my perfect smile line!! (another fab tip by Gigi!!!) and then I apply the top colour and top coat, this method lasts for up to 2 weeks, (depending on what type of job the client has!!)

Done loads lately and not had one complaint!!!!!

I'm not a creative tech so could you please tell me what nailfesh contains that you can clean up your smile line.? I've heard a tip like this before but it was using non acetone remover. I AM GOING TO MASTER THIS ONE WAY OR ANOTHER!

well i had to be the only idiot that went and bought one of the manicure magic pens and it its like putting tipex on the nail and the nib it so big and hard no detail can be done....

it takes age's to dry and if you try and put a top coat on before it is completly dry it just comes straight off

in my words CRAP lol

and it cost me £10 to find this out

do your self a favour sassy and don't give your self the hassle of getting one of these...

Mrs.Clooney said:
I'm not a creative tech so could you please tell me what nailfesh contains that you can clean up your smile line.? I've heard a tip like this before but it was using non acetone remover. I AM GOING TO MASTER THIS ONE WAY OR ANOTHER!

You do make me giggle Mrs Clooney. Frightened of French, scared of e.bay. Get a grip woman. xxxx

lancslass said:
well i had to be the only idiot that went and bought one of the manicure magic pens and it its like putting tipex on the nail and the nib it so big and hard no detail can be done....

it takes age's to dry and if you try and put a top coat on before it is completly dry it just comes straight off

in my words CRAP lol

and it cost me £10 to find this out

do your self a favour sassy and don't give your self the hassle of getting one of these...

Thanks Lisa, I had a feeling that's what they were like. I'll save my pennies. Ho hum, the struggle continues ...!

Latest posts

Back