...>Fumes<...

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

myle83

Reaction score
Hi all!!!

Just wondering, my friend recently opened a nail salon. Everything is so beautiful inside & looks very different and clean. However, she has an office above her shop and on her opening day (Thursday) she had a lady come into the shop, from upstairs and complained about the smell! I was there with her & can say that this lady was very rude! She went "This smell is strong, u can smell it from upstairs blah blah blah... So will I get a discount as I have to put up with it"

At the moment, my friend hasnt got a extractor fan in, as no-one is able to put it up for her atm, but she does have one.. However, she is stressing that whether she puts it at the front or at the back, the fumes will jus be blown out and up into their windows?
So what can she do?

Vapours are caused by particles carried in the air.
Fumes are caused by particles carried in smoke.

Unless you are smoking at the nail table, we do not make fumes in the nail industry.

However to get to the point.

There are many ways to minimize the vapours and the consequent smell of solvents from the salon.

One is to store all used paper and pads in a metal pedal bin. This reduces odour by a huge percentage at a stroke.

Two is to not get into the bad habit of constantly wiping your brush onto a paper towel!! This habit produces a huge amount of odour. Instead (if you have to wipe your brush), do it on a lint free gauze pad that has been dampened with preparation solution. The dampness draws any liquid from the brush into the pad and reduces odour at another stroke. Then as soon as you are through you can throw it in the metal bin.

It could be worse for them in the office above. They could have been above a hair salon and smelled the delightful (not) odour of acid perms or regular perming solution!! Horrid. Just because it is an unfamiliar odour to them does not make it BAD.

As a general comment: However, all manufacturers recommend extraction ventilation and it should be the first thing nail technicians put in their salon not the last afterthought. It always gets me going when the salon has had a load of money spent on fittings that don't count and the most important things (like our health and comfort) are left out (like STOCK and ventilation!!)

Your friend should get her system in place as soon as possible and still do the other things I recommended too.

Latest posts

Back