Gel Falling off!

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mdeaco

Reaction score
Hey all,

Can anyone help!! I have been practicing for about 6 weeks now from qualification and have a small customer base that I am trying to grow. The problem I have is that for some of those customers, the gel is falling off or cracking within 1 week whereas for others it is staying put for a good 2 to 2 1/2 weeks before infills. I am doing the same process on each person and am now beginning to loose my confidence in the work I do.
My two theories are that, maybe sometimes the gel is too close to the skin or that the gel I use is not so good - its Millenium. What do you all think? Can you recommend a really good gel to use??
All help appreciated x

Hiya .. The gel should never touch the surrounding skin...and it should be built up at the stress area.

Some clients are more heavy with their hands/nails than others but no gel should be just falling off on anyone.

whats your prep...?

They could just have rather oily nails, that could cause the gel to slide off. I use LCN.

oily nails are rare though and even then the problem can be combatted with thorough prep in all but the rarest of cases.

are the gel nails lifting, or are they breaking?
define what you mean by falling off and we should be able to lead you in the right direction to putting it right.

Its difficult to say whether it is the gel or not without actually seeing what you are doing.Have a look at all the many threads on lifting there are and see if any may apply to you.
My problem was applying my first layer of gel too thin too cure properly and not working it into the nail enough think of your first layer as your undercoat.Also as said touch any part of the skin and that will lift.
If you can get a copy of nailclass this helped me to understand many things that were not explained to me in my training.

Hi,
I Have tried many gels, just because I am so inquistive, mainly use NSI Balance file off system, also love Nobility soak off, and Dream soak off, but find Dream easier to file off. I have tried different gels on my self, all fingers with different ones on, and did my own survey, I find I can crack gels where acrylic can can take more bashing, especially if I am doing any housework.
It is personal preference and how your client runs her life.
But the most important is the prep and not getting any gel on the skin. Following this you should not get any lifting.
Best of luck.
Lotsa luv x :hug:

Hiya .. The gel should never touch the surrounding skin...and it should be built up at the stress area.

Some clients are more heavy with their hands/nails than others but no gel should be just falling off on anyone.

whats your prep...?

Hi - thanks for reply, for prep, obviously for a new set, I have been pushing back cuticles, applying acetone to dehydrate, then taking shine off nail plate with a white bloc, then I have some Millenium nail prep which I have been applying two coats to be sure, then I place the Millenium gel. For infills, I have been filing down, applying prep then putting gel in the well and dragging over rest of nail.
Is there anymore I can do? I have two gel appointements this week and I really don't want to worry about if they are going to work.
I still think my two 'errors' could be getting too close to skin on side of nail or that the Millenium product is letting me down?
What do you think?
Thanks - Michelle

I am not fan of using acetone to dehydrate the nail plate, there are products for that..

are you sure the 2 coats of nail prep are of use? sometimes less is more with such products.. but I use another system so I can't really tell

oily nails are rare though and even then the problem can be combatted with thorough prep in all but the rarest of cases.

are the gel nails lifting, or are they breaking?
define what you mean by falling off and we should be able to lead you in the right direction to putting it right.

Hi - thanks for reply, I have had two cases where for one they lifted from the sides causing parts to chip off - almost 7 out of the 10 nails did this within one week and another case on a friend of mine who has just gel overlays over her natural nail, where the gel lifted from the sides and the whole overlay then slid off in one peice, again after just one week. Two were lost in this way and at least 4 others chipped.
Is there anymore I can do? I have two gel appointments this week and I really don't want to worry about if they are going to work.:cry:
I still think my two 'errors' could be getting too close to skin on side of nail or that the Millenium product is letting me down? But then, I have had customers who have had no problem with what I have done - what do you think?
For prep, for a new set, I have been pushing back cuticles, applying acetone to dehydrate, then taking shine off nail plate with a white bloc, then I have some Millenium nail prep which I have been applying two coats to be sure, then I place the Millenium gel. For infills, I have been filing down, applying prep then putting gel in the well and dragging over rest of nail.
Starting to loose confidence as I don't understand what I am doing wrong.
Thanks - Michelle

Hi,
I Have tried many gels, just because I am so inquistive, mainly use NSI Balance file off system, also love Nobility soak off, and Dream soak off, but find Dream easier to file off. I have tried different gels on my self, all fingers with different ones on, and did my own survey, I find I can crack gels where acrylic can can take more bashing, especially if I am doing any housework.
It is personal preference and how your client runs her life.
But the most important is the prep and not getting any gel on the skin. Following this you should not get any lifting.
Best of luck.
Lotsa luv x :hug:

THanks for your help - I really want to crack this one! Gonna go have a chat with my wholesaler too, see if there is anything they can recommend as the product I have was from the training school I went to. At least the wholesaler may be more impartial!
Michelle x

Hi

I have used loads of gels and found them all different, in colour, texture, and strength, some were great on most clients but i was getting the same problem with a few lifting or cracking and peeling off, i would always recommend the Essential nails Uni-Phase gel i even use it on my self and love it.
If you are doing the same steps on all your clients, it could be the nail oils on the nails some people just can't wear gel, or the are just heavy handed with them, it is not some thing clients tell there nail tech that they have used them to open cans or used then to pick locks lol, so most of the time it is not your fault.

I know nothing about nail extensions but I do know that I can ask for help from any of educators about any aspect of my training and/or the products I use. Have you approached your training establishment - they may be able to help.
Good luck!

If your worried that you may be getting too close to the skin then you probably are....try leaving a larger margin.

Also are you removing the non living skin from the nail plate...??

If your worried that you may be getting too close to the skin then you probably are....try leaving a larger margin.

Also are you removing the non living skin from the nail plate...??

exactly what i was going to ask.
some people have way more non living tissue adhered to the nail plate and simply pushing back cuticles and removing shine with a white block would not be adequate in a case such as this.
it could be that you are getting away with it on your other clients because they dont have such a build up, but if there is a lot of cuticle there it wouldnt be enough to clean the plate ready for application. you cant neccessarily see it, but theres sometimes more than you would think.

i would recomend a good cuticle remover and a proper cuticle tool as the first part of the prep. also go to the navigation bar and select tutorials for a great one on thorough prep.

Getting a good cuticle remover tool is definitely a good idea. I use the OPI pusher plus. It is the best tool I have ever bought!

Hi I use Brisa and NSI balance gels. both very good.. hths xx

Latest posts

Back