Gel nails, Blue sky

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This is an interesting idea. A bit like Tesco's "Value Range" :D But is it actually worth it for you? Presumably it takes you the same amount of time to apply.

The product cost, even with the most expensive brands, is quite small, its the time and expertise the client is paying for. If you work it out per service, per product cost I bet you are earning peanuts when you apply your "Value Range" even though you've initially paid less per bottle.

I use two quality gel polish products (OPI and Gelish), they are not exactly the same price for me to buy. I use Minx, Kooky and Blixz again not the same price to me. All take me the same amount of time and expertise to apply. However, the client chooses what they want and the price is the same irrespective of brand because its my time and expertise they are paying for. I think I will stick to that.

How funny, we must have been thinking the same think at the same time.... :wink2: :biggrin:

How funny, we must have been thinking the same think at the same time.... :wink2: :biggrin:

My mother used to say "fools never differ" :D:D But I think "Great minds think alike" is better.

Last edited:
For me, using bluesky would be like having someone cater for a dinner function and serving frozen meals...or going to a hairdresser and they pull out a packet of hair dye from the local chemist. I hope that makes sense! It's just NOT professional. I hope these techs aren't charging top prices while using cheap products either! :| xx

Here's my take on all this.
There will always be a market for cheap, just as there will always be a market for high end.
Nobody has a problem with either of those markets; the problem lies with companies obviously copying another company's product. It is intellectual property theft and there are many rich lawyers getting ever richer off the back of it.

The beauty industry has, for many years, been thought of as what dim girls go into, a view not helped by the lack of regulation. I think it won't be many more years before this changes. It won't be the industry itself which brings about this change; it will be the insurance companies. They've left themselves very exposed by accepting one day courses; they're a lawsuit waiting to happen.

What is needed is an entire paradigm shift. The public needs to realise that whilst it's possible to have cheap nails, it's a risky proposition. The beauty industry needs to really, really push for regulation because then companies like bluesky will find themselves without a market in the UK.

Finally, there will always be a higher proportion of CND lovers here, but I've not any evidence of the admin/mod team dissing any other brand of professional nail product. There is yet no evidence of bluesky being a professional brand. Having a website really doesn't mean it's a professional brand!

Hey girls thank you for everything you have said. It has made me reconsider my business plan. :)

Sent from my GT-N7000 using SalonGeek

Hi, why do you say these are unprofessional products. The way I see it is that the only reason they have been given a bad name is because of brand specific training by other companies. As you said your self they lasted 3 weeks. I think people that have spent a lot on shellac etc are frightened that they have wasted there money so slate blue sky.
Don't get me wrong I will buy CND etc for my high end clients but for people who are happy for a low cost gel manicure blue sky is perfect, IMO :)

I class them as non-professional as you cannot currently gain insurance for them, simples!

Just a question....people keep saying their insurers won't cover them for x y z... If you are qualified in natural nails and enhancements at college its not product specific, its you as the therapist that is insured surely? Then if as ive done over the years other courses, conversion courses, company courses all certified and insurable (some of which don't exist now lol)

I've been a trainer and currently teach HND students. If I teach someone any of the above and they gain the qualification then why would they not be insured? From experience many colleges etc dont have the money to have one specific brand available.

I've also in 20 years never been asked to specify products for any treatments by my insurers. Just curious with so many classes and products around the insurers can't possibly have heard of them all and if their training is recognised?

There's a salon near me offering training, her nails are fantastic, courses busy but its very much bring your own favourite product and she will show you how to use them...her own table is full of different products.

And before I get shot down, I get the buying off eBay etc bit having no back up if there is a problem..it's just an insurance question. Maybe insurers could help by having a list of untouchables lol

I wonder if the insurance thing is in question because there are allegedly no MSDS for the likes of bluesky etc?

For myself I completed day courses ABT accredited. I called my insurance to add to my existing policy (pamper parties, fates and so on!). I wanted to make sure I was covered as my course and certificate states I'm trained to use uv gel, not brand specific but I used Gellux on the course and have since changed! She asked me the brand!? I asked why It mattered what brand, she said they've just stopped insuring the Bluesky! and she reassured me and said as long as the process was the same as I was taught I was covered?! Hope that helps :) and makes sense!

And this was only last month so it must have only just been highlighted to them recently... She went off to double check the name!? So I assumed it was new information being fed through to them and therefore is? 😊

I wonder if the insurance thing is in question because there are allegedly no MSDS for the likes of bluesky etc?

Yes there are MSDS available and insurance is available with certain particular insurers.

Just looking at their website makes me cringe!! None of it makes any sense because the english is so bad.. :eek:

Last edited:
They copied everything else from CND why not the msds sheets too?

Last edited:
I am with salon gold, I was ringing to add a new qualification and asked if I was covered for gel polish through my mani/pedi cert. The lady on the phone actually asked what brand i intended to choose, told her cnd shellac and gelish, and asked why, she replied that they had had a lot of enquiries into bluesky and that insurance would be invalid if this product was used as its not a professional product, i didnt ask any questions as I had no need, wasnt interested in using the product & she volunteered the info!!

Just to let you guys no... I email bluesky asking for the msds yesterday and they emailed me back with a of copy today. So it is available on request.

They copied everything else from CND why not the msds sheets too?

Lol

It's a minefield really re insurance, what's to say the red carpet gels or signature or any of the hundreds sold in boots and argos etc are any more or less professional. We can buy fake bake, opi and a million other "professional" products in shops now...if I run out of remover and pop into boots for acetone till I can get to a recognised trade retailer and my client has a reaction and sues...am I uninsured cause the acetone doesn't say CND or OPI or whoever on the front of the bottle?

I spotted a local salon owner clearing the shelves of our local pound shop of St Moritz tan....I like to think its to make sure she stays busy with spray tans as they've sold out but I'm pretty sure her £5 fake bake offer now includes a non professional uninsured solution...eek! Lol

Last edited:
Just to let you guys no... I email bluesky asking for the msds yesterday and they emailed me back with a of copy today. So it is available on request.

Just in case you missed BobSweden's point about MSDS sheets from companies like these.

Excellent points. These companies are morally bankrupt and can't be trusted. If they did make excellent and safe products, then they would soon make their own good reputation. But these people in China and Ireland don't have the abilities or the desire to do that. They are looking for a quick buck from the gullible.

Having looked at the website for the company in China, it's not obvious that they are the actual manufacturers. They have no production certificates or inspected production capability. Also, the inspection states they are a Trader and the company started in 2010 - while their marketing blurb says they do manufacture and started in 2000. They also claim to have a $50-$100 million turnover which would be truly remarkable for a company that no-one knew about of 2 years ago...

===

But actually, there is another problem. Under the European Cosmetic Directive, any cosmetic product has to be registered and the Responsible Person who imports into Europe must hold all MSDS and the Product Information File - the PIF contains ingredients, toxicology, chemical formula etc. The PIF is a new requirement that takes effect in July 2013. It is highly likely that some "manufacturers" may not have access to the chemical formula's and as such will not be able to sell those products after this date.

In addition, any person importing cosmetic product from one European country into another, for example when buying Bluesky from Ireland and bringing to the UK, has a legal responsibility to ensure the product meets the EU Cosmetic Directives product labelling requirements and also holds all the MSDS (and the MSDS must be in a specific format and contain specific information - the MSDS shown on one of the Bluesky factory websites does not seem to meet this specification).

Now, if someone imports a product that does not meet EU Cosmetic law, even if it's for their own salon use, they leave themselves open to being sued if the product causes any health issues on clients. As others have said, it is unlikely that your insurance will protect you.

Having looked at the Bluesky Europe Facebook page, I see more than 2,000 likes. I wonder how many of those people, or actual Bluesky customers also complain about low-cost salons using non-standard product? :irked:

We've calculated the cost of material for our Gellini gel polish service to be about £0.65 per customer - that includes cost of using sanitizer, nail prep, base gel, 2 color layers, top gel and gel wipe. Our prices are higher than Bluesky, but not as high as others. As a quick estimate I would guess the cost of materials for a service using Bluesky would cost between £0.35 to £0.45.

So the difference in cost per customer between using professional gel polish and a cheap product, is less than £0.50. Now consider this - is your reputation and the additional risk worth saving 50p? If it is - then you should not be in business and be damaging the reputation of the nail industry.

Whoops, the text is a tad big, but then again maybe it'll be easier to understand.

Rinn what is with your obsession with this quote lol. I've read it. I was only saying they provided me with something that everyone said wasn't available. I will ask for the pif if you like? :)

Latest posts

Back