Gel nails, Blue sky

SalonGeek

Help Support SalonGeek:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If you have no way of knowing what is in it then how do you know there's 'bad' stuff in it? And what is wrong with China? Plenty of everyday items come from China.

Sent from my GT-S5360 using SalonGeek

More to the point how do you know there isn't 'bad' stuff in it? Personally I would not put my clients at risk.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

What I'm saying is: no I wouldn't use it for health and insurance issues. BUT let's give valid points please.

There was a report recently about fake MAC cosmetics that were being sold in the UK that are manufactured in the Far East. They were tested and were found to have dangerously high levels of lead in. Also you are unsure of the conditions that the factories are in (as their are very few health and safety laws) some have had faecal bacteria in.

I really can't believe that the Bluesky/CCO stuff being manufactured any differently.

Would you really put this anywhere ear your skin or nails?

If you have no way of knowing what is in it then how do you know there's 'bad' stuff in it? And what is wrong with China? Plenty of everyday items come from China.

Lol!!!

Rock on with that idea if you think it's a sensible one. Does this sentence just apply to nails or would it also apply to the fake baby powder milk that came out of China a couple of years ago???

At least the Chinese government did the right thing in that horrific instance and sentenced the offenders to death by firing squad!!

Peace and respect.

Jacqui

Another thread turning sour after good advice is being given.

I would no more use a nock off product on my clients or myself.As professionals we have to think safety and this product is not safe to use.

To all the professionals out there let's leave the Derek Trotters of the industry to it because we will get no where educating people who won't listern and take everything personally.xx

I have a feeling the OP will be happy with the outcome of this thread.

Mission achieved.

Trip trap trip trap :D

The Derek trotter troll lol x

hehehe yep except not Derek Trotter cos he is a much loved comedy hero!!!!

Who could we choose instead?

:D very true.I only said that because of the nock off thing :D.ummmmmmmmm let me think about it and come back.It's got to be good catchy and we must use it frequently hehehe xxxxx

This is getting stupid. One of the reasons I joined this site was to get feedback and help from other members. But to come on here and see so called professional nail technicians bad mouthing others is rude and bitter. NOT EVERYONE USES SHELLAC. And some people need to get that through your thick heads. People come to get advice not to be bitched at and ridiculed because they don't use CND. I use gelish which is a professional brand and persionaly wouldn't use blue sky either, but the op was about peoples thoughts about it sugar&spice gave her opinion about it only to be treated like crap. I'm rather disappointed especially about the team member who practically abused her.

Its a shame cause I thought everyone on here were professionals. Maybe in your work but not so much in your mannorism :|

I feel that is a little unfair. I use Gelish and I think that choice is respected on here.

This is getting stupid. One of the reasons I joined this site was to get feedback and help from other members. But to come on here and see so called professional nail technicians bad mouthing others is rude and bitter. NOT EVERYONE USES SHELLAC. And some people need to get that through your thick heads. People come to get advice not to be bitched at and ridiculed because they don't use CND. I use gelish which is a professional brand and persionaly wouldn't use blue sky either, but the op was about peoples thoughts about it sugar&spice gave her opinion about it only to be treated like crap. I'm rather disappointed especially about the team member who practically abused her.

Its a shame cause I thought everyone on here were professionals. Maybe in your work but not so much in your mannorism :|

This is a pro forum, we do not condone the use of fake cheap products. bluesky or any other knock off is not used by professionals.

There seems to be a few people keep trying to stir it up here posting several threads and posts trying to wind people up.

If someone chooses to use bluesky then that is there choice but a non pro product has no place in the pro world the sooner people realise that the better!

There is no one being bad mouthed!

Who is saying on this thread you have to use CND?

Erm no one.

Everyone has stated that professionals should not be using the knock of version of shellac! No one has said that CND products must only be used.

The industry is not all about cnd but this site if you don't eat sleep drink cnd your worthless!

I think that is absolutely ridiculous considering the hair and skin geek. And many popular threads for gelish and opi gel colour ect.

To put it on a different perspective how about a doctor bought botox From ebay with no training and no certificate? Would you still get it done?

Would you get msds sheets from bluesky? Would you get training, a certificate, insurance?

IMO for professional use - NO WAY!

The nail technician could tell you it's taken by storm. But she could be telling you anything!

I use Gelish and love it.

I don't feel my post was in any way abusive, this is a professional site, and we need to be able to understand each other. Text talk is just not acceptable when we have so many geeks for whom English is a second language.

Yes a lot of geeks use CND products, but other brands are discussed here all the time.
This thread is about BLuesky Shellac...so how can we avoid mentioning the genuine article?

Also as I have already said Nancysyd has already posted that there are loads of good quality cheaper gel polishes out there so there is no need to buy a dodgy product like Bluesky.

I agree people were not bad mouthing or causing issues about ther gel products, it was particularly this ne as we all know and as had been said its a knockoff copy and no professional shoud or woud be using it.

I use shellac, but also use gelish and have in the past used gellux and no ones has ever bad mouthed them not being shellac, but if someone comes n a professional forum asking about a non professional product then the comments will not be favourable.

I think a lot of things somethings get lost in translation and type as we are not actually talking to each other and sometimes we maybe need to really look at what we are typing to see how it might come across. Come on guys isn't beauty therepy/nails supposed to be like the 2nd or 3rd happiest proffession??? :D General feeling and the answer I believe to be correct is that anything you can buy freely on Amazon or Ebay is not a good idea for many common sense reasons. I think the reason people are so passionate about it is because we invest so much time and money in training and then poor imitations come on the market which can damage the reputation of the whole industry.

Anyway lecture over hope everyone is having a lovely Sunday xx

Hey people ... what's wrong with some of you??

It's not bitching or rude to dis-approve of a product that can cause harm or damage or is just plain outside of the accepted and approved range of products that have gone through rigourous tests etc to gain authenticated licenses etc.

There can only be one reason that anyone would choose to use a product like Bluesky and that is because it is as cheap as chips.

It is also, as has already been mentioned, clearly designed to deceive people into thinking it is something else.

So if that is YOU then shame on you! And you will not be perceived as very professional on this very professional site. Period.

Professionals have access to loads of different nail products that have achieved the criteria laid down by the governing bodies.

But you should as a professional be using something that you know to be genuine and safe. It can still be cheap as chips if that is your preference. But let it be genuine eh.

You do not have to be using Shellac if you prefer not to. No one's going to shoot you lol.

It's a little bit sad that the rude, aggressive and whiny people don't seem to recognise themselves.

Peace and respect.

The problem with a product like BlueSky or CCO is not that it is inexpensive or made in China. The problem is that it is designed to deceive. The bottles and graphics are copies, designed to look like CND Shellac to fool either the tech or the client into thinking they have received the real item. They had to be sued to make them remove "Shellac" from the bottles, but the bottles are still a copy of CND Shellac. Any product whose intention is deception is a product that you should be wary of. If they are willing to resort to deception, what else will they resort to - dangerous ingredients? There are lots of less expensive alternatives to CND Shellac that are very good products - but they never pretend to be other than what they are. If you can't afford CND Shellac, pick another quality brand and be honest in your advertising.

Excellent points. These companies are morally bankrupt and can't be trusted. If they did make excellent and safe products, then they would soon make their own good reputation. But these people in China and Ireland don't have the abilities or the desire to do that. They are looking for a quick buck from the gullible.

Having looked at the website for the company in China, it's not obvious that they are the actual manufacturers. They have no production certificates or inspected production capability. Also, the inspection states they are a Trader and the company started in 2010 - while their marketing blurb says they do manufacture and started in 2000. They also claim to have a $50-$100 million turnover which would be truly remarkable for a company that no-one knew about of 2 years ago...

===

But actually, there is another problem. Under the European Cosmetic Directive, any cosmetic product has to be registered and the Responsible Person who imports into Europe must hold all MSDS and the Product Information File - the PIF contains ingredients, toxicology, chemical formula etc. The PIF is a new requirement that takes effect in July 2013. It is highly likely that some "manufacturers" may not have access to the chemical formula's and as such will not be able to sell those products after this date.

In addition, any person importing cosmetic product from one European country into another, for example when buying Bluesky from Ireland and bringing to the UK, has a legal responsibility to ensure the product meets the EU Cosmetic Directives product labelling requirements and also holds all the MSDS (and the MSDS must be in a specific format and contain specific information - the MSDS shown on one of the Bluesky factory websites does not seem to meet this specification).

Now, if someone imports a product that does not meet EU Cosmetic law, even if it's for their own salon use, they leave themselves open to being sued if the product causes any health issues on clients. As others have said, it is unlikely that your insurance will protect you.

Having looked at the Bluesky Europe Facebook page, I see more than 2,000 likes. I wonder how many of those people, or actual Bluesky customers also complain about low-cost salons using non-standard product? :irked:

We've calculated the cost of material for our Gellini gel polish service to be about £0.65 per customer - that includes cost of using sanitizer, nail prep, base gel, 2 color layers, top gel and gel wipe. Our prices are higher than Bluesky, but not as high as others. As a quick estimate I would guess the cost of materials for a service using Bluesky would cost between £0.35 to £0.45.

So the difference in cost per customer between using professional gel polish and a cheap product, is less than £0.50. Now consider this - is your reputation and the additional risk worth saving 50p? If it is - then you should not be in business and be damaging the reputation of the nail industry.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back